EA81 supercharger revamp by Tweety

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:04 pm

The early ones on mpfi EA82 turbos anyway were three pin TPS and were just switch postions such as throttle closed and throttle almost fullu ully open. Thought the four plug ECU TPS were different ? Also got a three pin TPS with three wire plug coming out of it for additinal hook up to who knows what ?
With the rising rate of ohms as throttle opens this is more like how a four plug ecu TPS is thought to work. The simple throttle position switch of earlier type works OK !

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:12 pm

yeh your readings are correct.
I recall that guy at Peddera Shepparton telling me the MAF was likely faulty and it was, read low on the volts from memory. He said the throttle should respond quicker and it was likely the culprit for low power output.

I'm starting to think my TPS was also faulty, so two faults equaled issues. Remember I have a bad flat spot at 3 quarter throttle. My hope is that one of these TPS's I'm getting from Canada will result in fixing all issues.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:56 pm

Well, mine work tit up. Looking at the EJ tps it would likely read in order with tit down on tps ? Tony, if you do the closed to open range on your multi meter, do you get a smooth increase in the Ohms as you opn 'er up just as smooth, or do you get a bump in the Ohm reading to match your flat spot ?

Can you pinpoint anyone in perticuler that started you off on this spfi tangent ? The progress has made it one of the more memorable projects taken on in here.
Projects gone a bit quiet in here, hey?

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:06 am

Jonno, I'll check the TPS soon for that flat spot- good idea. I've had it apart then quickly put it together again as it was out of my depth.

Tweety trike has certainly been through some loops in its 5 years. Started out with a new 1916cc VW engine made in Brazil then shiped from California in bits to Woolongong where it was assembled then to Gosford for installation in the trike. My mate and I collected the trike on 8/1/2009 to trailer it down to Euroa.

50 kms after that the engine died. Some thought it was the dizzy so another one was sent down. Eventually the Woolongong boys returend to collect the engine. A week later they returned it with a new set of german cam gears, the others had stripped.

The engine never did run right. Eventually it was stripped down to reveal a score in one bore 1mm deepx3mm wide the complete length of the bore and 7 bent valves. This was all done on warranty and I swapped the Solex's for webers. Eventaully I made the decision to go Subaru.

Yes, I should have gone EJ20 or 22. I was worried the VW auto wouldnt cope with the power and I falsely believed those engines would need engine mounts. The Panther is a monocoque alloy chassis. Engine mounts are not possible without major engineering.

The ea81 was chosen for reasons that it had the lowest revs for the torque output compared to other Jap engines of similar size. No good putting a high revving Honda engine in with that auto. I wanted a cruising engine that had to be easy to work on.

After a weber was put on the ea81 I wasnt happy when I towed our van. The slightest rise in the road saw it kickdown. Hence the move to a supercharger.

I loved the power of the SC. But it wasnt as economical as I needed. And with a possible retirement looming I knew we could not afford to keep it that way. Then Dean of Mt Evelyn suggested I buy his SPFI. It was the answer for me and still is. The stock Ea81 at 74 hp, the SC12 at over 100hp and the SPFI at 90hp. I'd be happy with that.

Since installation we discovered cracks in the Panther frame that caused fuel leakage. It meant the swing arms needed to come out. A cool $4000 bill. So the van has gone up for sale. Its just too heavy to tow with this machine. We plan to buy a alloy trailers and convert it to a camper to keep under the 250 kgm limit gross.

The SPFI installation was a challenge. I didnt know what all the sensors were for - anything about it really. This forum and USMB were critical to my learning. I like the ease of starting, that it thinks for itself how to run correctly. etc. But I believe the MAF and TPS were both defective. I will know shortly upon the installation of another TPS next week or so. Then Tambox's friend with his dyno and minor adjustments might see its full potential. I'm getting 28mpg (10.2 L/100km) now so am happy. That might get better.

Big regret not going EJ in the first place. To do that now is out of the question, adapter plate, exhaust and now forced retirement all combine to keeping the ea. On the other hand it does what I want it to do, smooth running easy starting and simple to work on. The EJ would be a little over my head IMO. And the engine bay might be restricted.

SPFI on an EA81 is a good installation. The guide by Kelly Huff was easy to understand. The wiring (assisted by El Freddo) was straight forward. It the sorting of the gremlins that cause the pulse rate to rise. In the end it will be a distant memory.

The only thing not similar to the EA82 SPFI will be the compression ratio. 8.7:1 when it should be 9.5:1. Couple of years time a recoed engine or shaved heads to achieve this will happen.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:15 am

BEWARE! ordering parts from USA. An interesting read here. My thread on USMB.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/top ... one-small/

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:32 am

this is the latest reply from Rockauto and an extension of my post on USMB.

Well again a quick reply considering we are on the other side of the globe.

Here is a response from Rockauto. I mentioned I have outlined my ordeal on USMB.

"Thanks for your response. I've reviewed that
forum and we still not accept your return. RockAuto offers a 30-day return
window for all parts, as long as they have not been installed and are in the
original packaging. Since your order is more than two months outside
of the return window, we will not be able to accept your return.

We do value your business and thank you for shopping with RockAuto!

Thank you, Will

RockAuto Customer Service"

So, thanks to Rockauto guys, I have a MAF for sale. Same part number as an original Subaru EA82 SPFI MAF but doesnt fit my SPFI system of 1989 vintage as advertised by them on their own web site. And to top it off I dont know what this MAF comes off, what it fits.

Perhaps I can be clever- I can advertise the part to fit an EA82 as it has the same part number and sell it for the same huge amount I paid for it to a guy in North America. I'll have a 30 day money return guarantee but by the time it hits your shores, you open it up (so its no longer in the original packaging as required) and discuss the issue time will be up.

Nah...could never do it.....I could never be such an arsehole.... end post to USMB

So Ausubaru guys. I have a MAF for sale. anyone know what its off?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:40 pm

OK - you've got it now ! Any harm in actually trying it to see if it runs right with it, other than it does not fit directly BUT it might work and go just like a new one !

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:52 pm

I cant see why it wouldnt work, even if it is a nissan item. I believe that the larger 90mm AFM of the STI and B4 Liberty can be interchanged with a certain Nissan AFM
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:38 pm

I agree, its worth trying. But I found another from a wrecker and they sent it here less than $50 including freight ex USA.

And that one works better than the original one. will bring the large one along with me when I meet up with Tambox soon. we can see if it is achievable to fit it. i has a much larger gullet.

wouldnt be hard to fit.

fun and games.

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:47 pm

swapped the perfectly good working MAF with the larger one from Rockarse auto. Started ok but ran crappy and idled poorly. back to the good one. will move on from the Rockauot experience. wont be using them again.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:49 pm

Funny you mention your difference with their bits, as I got some Monroe shocks (silly me thought MW was Aussie owned !! ) for my Brumby. One set of rears needed me to squish suspension to fit shocks at their longest fit, reducing bump stop gap from factory 20mm down to about 15mm. Should not complain as they were $8 each !
Did you give them your Tweetys VIN just to trick 'em ) ?:

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:53 pm

VIN number- good one. should have done it. have googled the part number etc etc and even though the part is close to a Nissan pick up in USA- they are different. not worth the worry. have moved on.
munro used to make air shockers. in the 70's it was common to use tham and pump up the rear end until your shocker went through the floor....

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:47 am

Tweety wrote:The idle sensor housing has to be turned 180 degrees.

There is a coolant hose that is in the way. El Freddo's advice was to use a piece of bent copper tube, to get around the dizzy and two short bits of hose. Worked a treat.
Sorry to dredge this up again ....was looking at mine again yesterday especially at the little appendage pipe sticking towards the dizzy - are you saying you left it poking out, no need to heat it and bend it to the left, right or make it droop ?
I am retainng the EA81 dizzy which has the vac can pointing right at thermostat region...thinking EA82 spfi dizzy vac can is closer to the front or water pump side when installed on EA81 , yeah ?
Just trying to avoid disabling beast for longer than necessary once pulled to bit....gets a little difficult scrounging bits at this time of year !!

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:23 pm

Jonno the SPFI dizzy is larger than the stock EA81 dizzy. The SPFI dizzy doesnt have a vacuum.

The pipes on the top of the block and out of the eA82 SPFI thermostat housing dont need to be modified. All you do is attach two short pieces of hose to them. Between the hoses place a piece of bent copper pipe into an "W" shape so it goes around the dizzy. See pics.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:36 am

OK, pictures and 1000's of words, reckon that will etch in brain ...... I think the guys in the US have said some spfi were vac advance, others not, looks like yours is non vac advamce - just like mine at the moment, has the can just not the function. Part of why I am going spfi inlet was to gain a vac advance port assuming they even had it was my mistake. A common thing on old school LPG conversions was to disconnect vac advance anyway ! I reckon my can is gonna hit the thermostat end pipe , may just remove the vac can and be done with it. I do have a plug in a sensor hole on the other side of the thermostat - this may get some custom pipe fitting one day if I can find a suitable vacuum source. Thanks for speedy and detailed pics Tony :)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:23 pm

in theory - resolved! drill out pipe, tap to 1/8" BSPT (oil pressure switch size), screw in a male/female brass elbow, seal with a bit of super dooper sealing threebond and then add a suitable sized barbed fitting pointing fitting downwards - in theory .....

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:07 am

steptoe wrote:in theory - resolved! drill out pipe, tap to 1/8" BSPT (oil pressure switch size), screw in a male/female brass elbow, seal with a bit of super dooper sealing threebond and then add a suitable sized barbed fitting pointing fitting downwards - in theory .....
Drilling said hole where?

if it is in the manifold you will always have full advance ... in the bottom of the throttle body will give the proper vacuum needed to get advance with acceleration.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:48 pm

Steptoe, I've only ever seen non-vacuum SPFI setups.

As for your vacuum port being in the way, thought of turning the dizzy around so it's not? I realise this will mess with the dizzy position locking bolt arrangement but I'm sure you could come up with something!

I hope we're talking about the same thing!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:14 am

You speed readers ......:( :( ......it is the water pipe at the thermostat housing part of the EA82 inlet manifold that mates up with the water pipe outta the top of the block that looks like it will interfere with the vac can itself like the pics of Tonys above indicate. Word on a better forum indicates this :p
I think the term is ported vacuum that is needed. I recall single barrel Strombergs on early Fords - there was supposedly a difference between auto and manual transmissions - one got its vacuum just above the throttle butterfly, the other just below ...???.
This throttle body has three port pipes - be nice if at least one worked !

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:42 pm

so after "ok" please explain?

anyway today I got my two working TPS's in the mail from Douglas of British Columbia. got one installed and working well. waiting for a brake calliper before testing.

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”