EA81 supercharger revamp by Tweety

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:38 am

New definition of a nightmare.

Tweety has been running ok but with the usual loss of overall power and when deaccelerating has been cutting out until you apply more throttle. After a good run to Castlemaine on the weekend obtaining a respectable 27 mpg with more improvement to come I parked it in the garage and the next morning it failed to start. It usually starts perfectly.
Checked for spark- strong spark. Checked for fuel by raising the injector housing- is spraying fuel. Totally dumbfounded. Turn over by hand and has compression. Poured fuel down the gullet- no kick.
So in desperation and as I know the TPS is faulty decided to order one and see how I go after it is installed.

Several sites in the USA list the TPS from a Loyale. tHey are all the same from 1984-1994. However each time I go into those site "no longer available."
Found one site listing it as available (new). Paid through paypal a whopping $363 AUS including delivery ($41). Got emails saying thankyou we also have these parts available and then another email saying they have shipped my item. Then another email stating they have sent me a refund as they are out of stock.

So decided to email suppliers from now on. Have to wait as they are snoozing when we are awake.
My final option is to use a (cheaper) generic brand like a holley. trouble is I am unsure of its compatibility and alarm bells go off worrying if it will suffice. My unit runs off 5 volts but dont know if the holley one does. also my idle sensor unit which is cylindrical and turned the other way to make room for the dizzy in the conversion has restricted room for another type of TPS if it is longer in length.

Definition of a nightmare....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:42 pm

This is the fun of conversions!

Try dropping the part number in to fleabay and see what comes up - you'll be surprised. Also have a look at TPS units from other makes and models of the same era - holden camira/nova/astra could be a good start. Nissan pulsar of the early '90s could be a looker too.

Many sensors were universal to a point over different makes and models - you might find something that will do the job from one of these other vehicles outside the subaru scope.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:06 pm

Wonder if mine is faulty ?

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:29 pm

Had a top bloke on the USMB forum find 2 used TPS's from British Columia wreckers (junk yards) is sending them now to me.

have a list of measurements to test the TPS from the same guy (name Douglas but goes by the name NARU)

Can post you the list of steps Steptoe????
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:24 pm

Steps only good to me if it is a stand alone test - got no ECU to provide volts.
May as well stick 'em in here Tony !

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:38 pm

ok. no ECU needed.

4 terminals ABCD

Resistance between Band D should be 4700 ohms

Between B and C resistance should be under 1000 ohms closed throttle

B and C should be OVER 2400, throttle open full (or more accurately about 80% of B and D)

B and C should change continuously through the rev range. If not its f...ked

Make sure B has 5 volts.

cheers

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:02 pm

Got a photo of the TPS
I wouldnt be surprised if the TPS from a vortex hi-rise manifold or even an liberty would fit
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:42 am

had a "D" hole for the throttle shaft. 4 pins. were on all SPFI loyale's 1985-1994 all the same

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:11 am

This is a diagram of an EJ22 MPFI engine TPS
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:39 am

This is the TSP off a vortex EA82T

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:17 pm

Tweety wrote:ok. no ECU needed.

4 terminals ABCD

Resistance between Band D should be 4700 ohms

Between B and C resistance should be under 1000 ohms closed throttle

B and C should be OVER 2400, throttle open full (or more accurately about 80% of B and D)

B and C should change continuously through the rev range. If not its f...ked

Make sure B has 5 volts.

cheers
The terminals on mine are not marked ABCD, but gathering that the tit on top is how the plug is to be viewed ?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:26 pm

with tit to top

B D is 4.72 closed throttle, 20k scale
B C is .540 on the 2k scale closed throttle, set to 200 Ohms scale says 1, so must be 540 ?

BC starts at .540 and climbs slowly up to 3.970 in the 20k scale as I open throttle gently, comes along nicely, progressively...so guess it not flicked

DARN no 5V at B !! No ECU ?? ;)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:31 pm

Tony, have I asked you wjhich of the three ports you hooked up vac advance to ??

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:47 pm

3 vacuum ports? no idea what you are talking about Jonno. (remember I'm no mechanic lol)

I think A goes no where.

These TPS's seem the same as mine- damn. but I've seen things that look the same and arent. the later MAF of the ea82 in US has a different larger housing. same part number just a 3 in small raised lettering hidden somewhere compared to a 2.

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:36 pm

Had a quick look at the one on my 85 N/A MPFI ea82. Is only a 3 pin job, so anything pre 87 on the MPFI engines probably wont work.

Regards

Doug

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:04 pm

The early ones on mpfi EA82 turbos anyway were three pin TPS and were just switch postions such as throttle closed and throttle almost fullu ully open. Thought the four plug ECU TPS were different ? Also got a three pin TPS with three wire plug coming out of it for additinal hook up to who knows what ?
With the rising rate of ohms as throttle opens this is more like how a four plug ecu TPS is thought to work. The simple throttle position switch of earlier type works OK !

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:12 pm

yeh your readings are correct.
I recall that guy at Peddera Shepparton telling me the MAF was likely faulty and it was, read low on the volts from memory. He said the throttle should respond quicker and it was likely the culprit for low power output.

I'm starting to think my TPS was also faulty, so two faults equaled issues. Remember I have a bad flat spot at 3 quarter throttle. My hope is that one of these TPS's I'm getting from Canada will result in fixing all issues.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:56 pm

Well, mine work tit up. Looking at the EJ tps it would likely read in order with tit down on tps ? Tony, if you do the closed to open range on your multi meter, do you get a smooth increase in the Ohms as you opn 'er up just as smooth, or do you get a bump in the Ohm reading to match your flat spot ?

Can you pinpoint anyone in perticuler that started you off on this spfi tangent ? The progress has made it one of the more memorable projects taken on in here.
Projects gone a bit quiet in here, hey?

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:06 am

Jonno, I'll check the TPS soon for that flat spot- good idea. I've had it apart then quickly put it together again as it was out of my depth.

Tweety trike has certainly been through some loops in its 5 years. Started out with a new 1916cc VW engine made in Brazil then shiped from California in bits to Woolongong where it was assembled then to Gosford for installation in the trike. My mate and I collected the trike on 8/1/2009 to trailer it down to Euroa.

50 kms after that the engine died. Some thought it was the dizzy so another one was sent down. Eventually the Woolongong boys returend to collect the engine. A week later they returned it with a new set of german cam gears, the others had stripped.

The engine never did run right. Eventually it was stripped down to reveal a score in one bore 1mm deepx3mm wide the complete length of the bore and 7 bent valves. This was all done on warranty and I swapped the Solex's for webers. Eventaully I made the decision to go Subaru.

Yes, I should have gone EJ20 or 22. I was worried the VW auto wouldnt cope with the power and I falsely believed those engines would need engine mounts. The Panther is a monocoque alloy chassis. Engine mounts are not possible without major engineering.

The ea81 was chosen for reasons that it had the lowest revs for the torque output compared to other Jap engines of similar size. No good putting a high revving Honda engine in with that auto. I wanted a cruising engine that had to be easy to work on.

After a weber was put on the ea81 I wasnt happy when I towed our van. The slightest rise in the road saw it kickdown. Hence the move to a supercharger.

I loved the power of the SC. But it wasnt as economical as I needed. And with a possible retirement looming I knew we could not afford to keep it that way. Then Dean of Mt Evelyn suggested I buy his SPFI. It was the answer for me and still is. The stock Ea81 at 74 hp, the SC12 at over 100hp and the SPFI at 90hp. I'd be happy with that.

Since installation we discovered cracks in the Panther frame that caused fuel leakage. It meant the swing arms needed to come out. A cool $4000 bill. So the van has gone up for sale. Its just too heavy to tow with this machine. We plan to buy a alloy trailers and convert it to a camper to keep under the 250 kgm limit gross.

The SPFI installation was a challenge. I didnt know what all the sensors were for - anything about it really. This forum and USMB were critical to my learning. I like the ease of starting, that it thinks for itself how to run correctly. etc. But I believe the MAF and TPS were both defective. I will know shortly upon the installation of another TPS next week or so. Then Tambox's friend with his dyno and minor adjustments might see its full potential. I'm getting 28mpg (10.2 L/100km) now so am happy. That might get better.

Big regret not going EJ in the first place. To do that now is out of the question, adapter plate, exhaust and now forced retirement all combine to keeping the ea. On the other hand it does what I want it to do, smooth running easy starting and simple to work on. The EJ would be a little over my head IMO. And the engine bay might be restricted.

SPFI on an EA81 is a good installation. The guide by Kelly Huff was easy to understand. The wiring (assisted by El Freddo) was straight forward. It the sorting of the gremlins that cause the pulse rate to rise. In the end it will be a distant memory.

The only thing not similar to the EA82 SPFI will be the compression ratio. 8.7:1 when it should be 9.5:1. Couple of years time a recoed engine or shaved heads to achieve this will happen.

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:15 am

BEWARE! ordering parts from USA. An interesting read here. My thread on USMB.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/top ... one-small/

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”