Doug's EA81 Rebuild stuff.

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:29 am

We are aiming at 1 layer a week, so probably around 14 weeks away from being finished :rolleyes:

Well you'l have to bring the yellow beast around and show us :p.

Already got two Jonno. I usually alternate between the two. I would like to get a lot of stuff done to the old wagon first before messing around with the vortex though, because I like the old wagon better :cool:.

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:15 am

No worries, I'll drop over next week. I just got back from a short trip to Gero/Kalbarri to pick an Outback and a spot of fishing with Wayneo.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:42 am

Nice, hope the L is as immaculate as ever :rolleyes:

Got my new ball joints so Il be putting them in sometime this weekend. Also swapping the engine in my friends Brumby to my old running motor. Gets him going while I fix his motor.

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:30 am

I almost got a chance to take a picture of it dirty but before I could get the camera out... splash.. clean

Glad to hear you're friend out and we want constant updates with pics :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:59 am

No worries Paul...he wants a good motor and he's paying so I should be able to turn it around in a week or two, depending on access to the workshop.

Regards

Doug

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:27 am

New ball joints are in. Old ones just fell out when I removed the bolt. Full of sand and grit. New ones were more of a press fit. No more creaking and my vehicle shake at speeds above 70 kmh is gone. Steering also feels nicer, taking off isn't as clunky. Well spent 30 bucks I think ;). All good for some more 4 wheeling now.

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:30 pm

Subydoug wrote:All good for some more 4 wheeling now.
I'm ready :p

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:18 am

For SilverBullet,

First off, I don't consider myself a good fabricator, this is just something I whipped up to the best of my abilities. A pretty good weekend project though.

Pull bumper off, split the plastic from the steel insert, just a bunch of plastic clips.

Easier if it isn't mangled like mine,

2 bits of SHS (40mm), I cut the old mounting nuts off of the old bumper and tacked them into the shs.

Bolted into car,

I missed a whole bunch of steps with photos but basically just cut a length of SHS to span across the bumper, tacked up on car to get spacing right. Welded some short sections of SHS onto that to protrude out of the bumper. Then welded the hinge onto one end and the locking plate onto the other. Cut matching holes into the bumper and Slid the bumper back over it all. Clipped the bumper back together and tacked it onto the new SHS as such,

Made up the arm to hold the wheel up from the bumper as shown in this picture,

You can see I used a cheapo dead bolt to pin it. Not the best but functional. Hinge is a heavy duty gate hinge. A little bit of slop in it but I compensated for it by welding tabs that support the outer swinging arm when its in the "closed" position.

It came out OK. A bit wobbly for me so I Think Im going to put an extra latch up at the top that goes to the tailgate to stop it flexing as much over the rough stuff. Took it out onto the beach the yesterday and it didn't fall off so Im relatively happy.

Regards

Doug

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:02 pm

Very nice job, excellent work! very impressed :mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

MY-Wagon

Post by MY-Wagon » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:35 pm

That is a delight to see.

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:03 am

Cheers fella's. Hasn't fallen off yet. I think Im going to add a latch from the top on the upright to the tailgate though. Should eliminate the wobble. The other thing that occurred to me the other day was the 40mm SHS doesn't rest on any surfaces above or below,

where its mounted inside the rear of the car. This means the flex can start right back at the bolts (a good 6-8 inchs back). Il pull it off and make up some spacers to fit inside the gap. That should get rid of most of the flexing in that area.

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:34 am

Yeah Doug, like I mentioned the other day, just weld in some gussets. I found some angle iron welded into the corners helps out and keeps it looking neat and works great in tight spots.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:05 am

Well I put some spacers under the mounting rails and added a latch to the top. Doesnt wobble around anymore but Im not happy with how the latch turned out so I will be revisiting that. When I do that Il slap some gussets on the corners.

And Toonga, if you read this, stuck some hose clamps on the booster line and coolant line. Only for you mate :D.

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:52 pm

Cool.. I'll stamp my approval before you make honeycombe's one :p

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:17 pm

Awesome work Doug!

When does full production begin? I see Paul's already lining up! I'm sure you could twist Silverbullet's arm to buy one...

How heavy is this setup?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:22 am

Ha! I think Il give it a thorough testing before putting one on anyone else's car.

If I made another one I would cut the 45deg angles into the joins, make it short of the tow ball and make it fit properly into the chassis.

Weight? probably around 15kg. I used just short of 2x 1.6m lengths of 40mm SHS. It isn't very heavy.

Regards

Doug

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:16 pm

I havent been tracking this great thread for some time. I noticed, page 35 considerable chat about crankcase breathing and that diagram posted by Toonga on same.
When I supercharged Tweety's ea81 I had a lot more blow by.

I did much research. Standard ea81 if I'm corrected has one tube running from filtered air from the air filter to the rocker cover dizzy side. This being the air intake for the crank. The other alternator rocker air exits and goes to the PCV. Just prior to the PCV there is a smaller fitting for a smaller hose and that goes to the air filter. The sizes of the hoses are important as most fumes will enter the intake via the PCV but in case of extra pressure the smaller hose will release that pressure not to build up.

I tried a fitting on my oil filler pipe. Tried a catch can in conjuction with it. I wasnt that happy with any of those ideas. However on a worn engine a catch can fitted from the alternator side rocker cover exit to the catch can then to the PCV is beneficial.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:03 pm

Hey Tweety,

My blow by issues were a cracked oil ring. Fixed that and they went away. Unfortunately everything I tried with the catch can didnt help. I suppose its a bit like trying to treat a severed artery with a flower bandaid :rolleyes:.

I will one of these days return my PCV system to stock. Any drama's with your ea81 build just shout out and Im happy to assist in any way.

Regards

Doug

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:29 pm

thanks Doug. plenty of help here and locally too. good stuff.

I have the process in my head. seek out the right cam, bottom end rebuild, heads, assembly, auto/converter inspection etc. I hasve 2 oil pumps. should I find a new one?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”