Doug's EA81 Rebuild stuff.

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:54 pm

Yeah just seeing how well Paul's real LSD helped on the dunes was enough to sell me on them.

Getting harder to find those FT4wd boxes...

Regards

Doug

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:10 pm

Aha! bingo! ding! ding! ding! ding! ding!

Just pulled the plugs out of the old girl and they tell me a story, Il let them do the talking! These plugs have around 1200km's on them.

Probably the darkest of the 3 good plugs, nice and clean, smells good.
Ground strap of said plug. Rich across the board but still acceptable and has no buildup.

Now for that pesky cyl number 2;

As you can see, large layer of buildup on pretty much everything. Plug shows minimal signs of firing in the last few hundred km's. Heavy oil consumption.

And the ground strap of said plug. Also heavy signs of oil burning.

and a shot of them all together arranged as cyl 1 being the bottom left.

cyl 1 and 3 looking good!

Hmmm. Id say I was right with my original hunch that cyl 2 was the culprit, and I dare say I damaged the scraper rings during assembly.

Oh well, Il pull the engine out and inspect the bore. If it looks ok Il just slap all new rings straight in and start over.

Regards

Doug

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:21 pm

Subydoug wrote: Now for that pesky cyl number 2;
Why is there what appears to be arcing on the compression washer of that plug?

very odd indeed

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:38 pm

^ First thing I noticed too, almost looks like little melted dots.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:49 pm

Nah its oil and sand. Went out and had a look and it Just wiped off clean. I drained the catch can and got oil over my hands and presumably the sand came from my socket as the plug holes seem pretty sand free after I hosed the motor down. Not arking though. Anyhow engine crane en route, should be a nice quick job.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:46 pm

Subydoug wrote:Speaking of which, Paul or other 4spd D/R guru's in the house, if I were to have the box out, is it pretty easy to get inside of it and make sure everything is OK?
They aren't too bad but it's been a while since I've pulled one down. I have a spare one or two lying around if you want to try another box until you have yours sorted?

I might even have 1 or 3 FT4WD 5 speed D/R box if you really want to go that way?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:06 pm

Nah mate. Ft4wd is better kept for your projects. The pt4wd boxes are everything I need.

Il have a look for some expanded view's of the 4mt. If it looks easy enough il have a dig. I'd prefer to open this box up and have a peep then swap to something completely new, and like I said, if I swap il probably take the time to go to a 5 spd which are a little easier to get.

Anyhow, motor should be back out soon.

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:02 pm

Subydoug wrote:Nah mate. Ft4wd is better kept for your projects. The pt4wd boxes are everything I need.
You'll probably be changing your mind once you get that EFI working :)
Subydoug wrote:Il have a look for some expanded view's of the 4mt. If it looks easy enough il have a dig. I'd prefer to open this box up and have a peep then swap to something completely new, and like I said, if I swap il probably take the time to go to a 5 spd which are a little easier to get.
Yeah, the spare 4 speed box I have will fit straight in without changing anything and it's just a loan so you could pull yours apart and rebuild.. I don't want your MY off the road for too long.. we need to have it going for Pemberton ;)
Subydoug wrote:Anyhow, motor should be back out soon.
Chuck up some pics of the bore once you have the heads off
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:05 pm

and on your efi efforts, sort of forgot minor details but thort of it the other day when I saw a multi port 138i - yeah, an old grey motor in an FJ lookin' beast sporting three injectors for six pots. Very tidy, was on trumpet style throttle bodies - got me thinking EA boxer efi conversions don't need two injectors a side do they :evil:

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:05 pm

Eh, nah. Not the greatest of hoons if I might say. Lets leave that to Jayson ;). PT4wd, simple and hasnt let me down yet. A rear locking diff, Id show some more interest :D.

Nah mate, seriously, keep your 4mt box for your stuff. If its gonna be a mission Im not gonna worry about it, and when the time comes, Il do the 5spd swap. Not to worry about down time on the old wagon mate, your out for a few weeks by the sounds of it. We'll need to fix it up so Hatchie can join us and some of the other locals who are afraid of 4 hour drives (yes, you know who you are :evil:). Priorities are, motor, gearbox, tyres, suspension bushes, then maybe Il start to have a look at the EFI stuff. I can do a lot of the EFI stuff without down time on the wagon. It should be just a case of swapping it over one weekend and tuning it (famous last words :rolleyes:).

Steptoe, yeah I plan on using two injectors for mine. A lot of efi systems just run a PWM to the injectors and thats how fuel is metered. Sequential EFI is a relatively new thing and really as far as benefits go, mostly in low end and fuel economy. When push comes to shove, once the foot is buried into the firewall, the differences are next to nothing.
I plan on running a fixed PWM frequency to both injectors that will start when I start getting ignition pulses out of the Disty. But thats down the track some, and Il probably finish the job and start a fresh thread so people who dont read my rambling crap and are remotely interested have a better chance of seeing it.

Engine is stripped back to just the block and mani. Motor should be out tomorrow.

Oh and Paul, airbox was spotless except for the small swamp of oil that had formed inside it. My best guess would be that I had oil getting into the carby and blocking my jets, not dirt. Oh well, hopefully a thing of the past. Suppose at the end of the day she took everthing I threw at it and some more.

Oh well, ramble over. Deffinately take some piccies for you to look at the bores. I hope they are OK. Il measure them up again with some Micrometer's and see if they arnt too big. If they are OK il just put the new rings straight back in and call it a day. I really hope its just cyl 2 that was burning the oil. Thats what the plugs tell me in any case.

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:31 pm

No worries Doug.. your choice but the offer is always there.

I'll have Hatchie sorted in a couple of hours but it's owner won't be back for a bit. Really need to work out a time when Tristan is able to come out, as he's usually only home for a week at a time.

Ok.. I was thinking with that much smoke, there may have been a lot more oil up there but it means the pressure was more concentrated to the LH side of the engine. I can't wait to see the bores and rings

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:53 pm

There was also about 50-100ml of oil in the catch can.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:47 pm

Ok.. not good. Well live and learn :) At least they aren't too expensive or hard to fix

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:33 pm

Yeah, it was probably gonna come out again anyway as that gearbox needs fixing and I think this time il pull the tranny out threw the hood instead of under the car. Don't mention it to WayneO, but everything is easier to clean when apart ;).

Well heads will be off tonight. Only took me hour and 1/2 to get it ready yesterday, and most of that was cleaning up the work bench :D. Once the engines out it will be easier to access bolts with my impact wrench.
Fingers crossed the bore in cyl 2 is ok. I truly believe the other three little piggies are ok.

Regards

Doug

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:22 pm

Sorry Paul, too tired to carry on tonight. The engine is still too dirty to pull apart. Id like to get it as clean as possible before opening it right up. Its out and on the bench though so you should get your bore shots tomorrow.

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:35 pm

Don't be sorry Doug.. you're doing a good job, as it's always best to have it clean before taking apart, unless you're planning on stripping it completely. I'm happy to wait to see the pics :)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:43 pm

If id done a good job well.....:rolleyes:.

Arh, said Id have it done but didn't. Only disappointed in myself. Fortunately my desire to look inside the bores got overridden by my common sense. Better off cleaning it properly now. Im pretty much gonna pull it all down. Its funny because in my head I knew that I had to take the bell housing off, but it never occured to me that I had to take the clutch and flywheel off too :D. Same goes for the sump guard and rocker covers. Fortunately I ordered new rocker gaskets and sump gasket thismorning from vic and they arrived thisarvo.

Regards

Doug

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:03 pm

Cylinder head for #4,

cylinder head #2,

Look at the crust on that valve #2,

Cylinder head #1,

Cylinder head #3,

Bore for #2

Slight mark down the side there, also one down the bottom, though a lot thinner. Hard to see in the failing light and with water in the bore.

another angle of #2,

Bore #1, no suprises, looks ok at a glance,

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:06 pm

bore #3,

bore #4,

Beyond thinking about this at the moment. Spent all day up in a cherry picker and I just wanna go to bed. If I continue now Il just end up stuffing something up.

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:46 pm

Hey Doug, how many kms have you done since the rebuild? I feel that the hone makes are off an old engine or one that has been running too cold. I also think there is too much clearance but hard to tell from the pics. I'd definitely check the bore diameter again and make sure you measure the bottom of the bore (as well as the top)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”