Taza's L-Series

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
taza
General Member

Taza's L-Series

Post by taza » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:08 pm

Well I couldn't resist getting another one... Especially after selling the last one.

Called up the guy on Gumtree who wanted $150 for it, he just wanted to get it off his property. I went around, he had pressure cleaned it and said it wasn't idling. Hasn't been ran/driven in over 12 months... Since it wouldn't run properly he let me have it for free! That's right, $0 :cool:

It will run but won't idle and you have to pour fuel down the carby to get her started. She needs a new battery too. A heap of vacuum lines have been removed and/or blocked off..
Any idea's on getting her to run better?

It's a 92 Sportswagon 5 speed manual. The gearbox and clutch feel pretty tight and it only has 248,000km.

A few pics..

Part of the modified engine bay..

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:13 pm

Nice score and whats the interior like.

Carbied EJ motor :) ... sorry couldn't resist.

Ummmmm EFI EJ motor ... sorry once again.

If you really want it to run with the cheese cutter in it, ask someone to post pictures of the vacuum lines for the EA82. Then work out why the fuel pump isn't working, then find the Idle solenoid (on the carby) and make sure thats working.

I must ask why the fuel filter is where it is?

or go with one of the first 2 suggestions :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:18 pm

The plan is to EJ it with my old 2.0l motor from the foz... I just thought I'd get it running for the time being... Then get it licensed.
Interior is pretty good, a few stains, no tares. A/C works while your keeping the engine alive. So does the heater... The heater core doesn't even leak! Has an immobilizer and CD player aswell.

Not a bad find :D But the paint is peeling on the roof and bonnet. Eh, the body is still straight with only a few carpark dings.
TOONGA wrote:I must ask why the fuel filter is where it is?

Who knows... I only picked it up 2 hours ago from Rockingham

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:26 pm

cool, Thinking of selling my Ej25 and dropping in a ej20t:D
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:11 pm

Why do you wanna go turbo?
Omg ej25 in an L on 13s would be sick! Gonna make the beast RWD, and road spec it..

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:46 pm

What a score, well done! Now I just need to find a free one for the 5 speed box.
To try & sort the vacuum lines, I would suggest getting a friend to help you keep it going. Once that happens listen for anything sucking air & block it off. I have removed heaps of junk from many cars using this method, including my Brumby. I must admit I haven't done it on a EA82.
As has been said it sounds like it needs a fuel pump too. That might go a long way to sorting it.

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:56 pm

Maybe you have a blocked idle jet. Get a can of carby cleaner and spray it in to the carby with the car running. To unblock the idle jets you will have to rev up the motor, spray the carby cleaner into the intake, then while the engine is winding down cover the air inlet with a rag or your hand. This usually pulls the crap through. IF that doesnt work you may have to pull the carby apart and clean it. Make sure you dont have a vacuum leak, might need to go to malz and grap a few meters of vac line and replace it all. New plugs and gas are probably a good idea too, as is cleaning the points in your dizzy. Does it run rough?

Regards

Doug

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:07 pm

Rodeo4jake wrote:What a score, well done! Now I just need to find a free one for the 5 speed box.
To try & sort the vacuum lines, I would suggest getting a friend to help you keep it going. Once that happens listen for anything sucking air & block it off. I have removed heaps of junk from many cars using this method, including my Brumby. I must admit I haven't done it on a EA82.
As has been said it sounds like it needs a fuel pump too. That might go a long way to sorting it.
Thanks mate, supposedly it ran fine 12 months ago when it was put in the paddock but who knows....
I'll give it a shot when I have some free time...
Subydoug wrote:Maybe you have a blocked idle jet. Get a can of carby cleaner and spray it in to the carby with the car running. To unblock the idle jets you will have to rev up the motor, spray the carby cleaner into the intake, then while the engine is winding down cover the air inlet with a rag or your hand. This usually pulls the crap through. IF that doesnt work you may have to pull the carby apart and clean it. Make sure you dont have a vacuum leak, might need to go to malz and grap a few meters of vac line and replace it all. New plugs and gas are probably a good idea too, as is cleaning the points in your dizzy. Does it run rough?

Regards

Doug

Thanks Doug, I have a spare carby I can use that's off an EA82 with a heap of vacuum lines and a spare motor that came with the car ;)
Run's like shit. I managed to get it going for a little while with the idle cranked right but then after a min or so it died..

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:45 pm

Sweet!

I can't see the engine bay modification, looks like it's all stock L series except for the fuel filter in the emission/evap line...

As for the engine not idling properly etc - go through all the usual things, spark plugs, leads, the dizzy (make sure there's no moisutre in there), clean out/rebuild the carbie etc. No need to spend money on these things if they're in good working order.

And for the record, go AWD with the EJ - RWD is for the falcodore drivers...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:55 pm

Cheers Bennie... I was thinking of emptying the fuel tank incase there is any crap in there...
Would it be worth cleaning out the fuel lines?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:08 pm

taza wrote:Cheers Bennie... I was thinking of emptying the fuel tank incase there is any crap in there...
It's a pretty involved job getting the fuel tank out and back in...
taza wrote:Would it be worth cleaning out the fuel lines?
I reckon it would be worth the effort to blow the lines backwards so that you know they're clear!

Cheers

Bennie

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:35 pm

I don't know, As most things i guess. When i upgraded to the ej22 i love the increase in power but after a year or two i wanted more and i got a good deal on the ej25 with advance timing. Well now i'm kinda wanting more:) Plus i can't accept that Paul's L is going to be faster and more powerful than mine. Just can't have that!!!!!!
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:28 am

Looks good Taza.. If you like, I can have a look at why it's not running correctly? Are you going to keep this one until the Foz is done?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:19 am

Oh and Taza, double check you dont have something like this going on.

Regards

Doug

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:22 pm

Hey Paul that would be great... Only prob is I can't get it to your workshop without a trailer...
I don't plan to get rid of it anytime soon. For now I just want it running with the EA then will.consider EJ down the track :P

Thanks Doug

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:25 pm

Subydoug wrote:Oh and Taza, double check you dont have something like this going on.

Good thinking Doug, but Taza's L is a carbie job so won't have an air box as big as that one with the MPFI ;)

Guyph, you've got to stop somewhere!

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:42 pm

taza wrote:Hey Paul that would be great... Only prob is I can't get it to your workshop without a trailer.
Would you like a 'call out' service.. it will cost a few CCs

I might even be able to convince the boss to allow me to do it on the way through on Saturday :rolleyes:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:06 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Would you like a 'call out' service.. it will cost a few CCs

I might even be able to convince the boss to allow me to do it on the way through on Saturday :rolleyes:
That'd be awesome! Do you like dry or cola? I'm a dry person myself but I'll drink anything.
I work until 12 on Saturdays but work is only 10mins from home..

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:28 am

taza wrote:That'd be awesome! Do you like dry or cola? I'm a dry person myself but I'll drink anything.
I work until 12 on Saturdays but work is only 10mins from home..
I actually prefer it with Ginger Beer but Dry will do nicely ;)

By the time we leave Kalbarri and arive in Perth, you should be finished work.

Text me the address :cool:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:05 am

^ Might have to try that :D
Sweet, I did get it started. Cranked up the idle and it was running rough. Drove it 100m down my street and it died. Had to push it back to the front of my house :P Great work out right there!
I think I will need a fuel pump to begin with though as I am pretty sure that's the reason for it not starting without pouring fuel in the carby..

I'll text it to you later so I don't wake you up ;)

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”