Taza's L-Series

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:03 am

taza wrote:^ Might have to try that :D
Sweet, I did get it started. Cranked up the idle and it was running rough. Drove it 100m down my street and it died. Had to push it back to the front of my house :P Great work out right there!
I think I will need a fuel pump to begin with though as I am pretty sure that's the reason for it not starting without pouring fuel in the carby..

I'll text it to you later so I don't wake you up ;)
Sounds like you need a good diagnostics vac gauge. My dad got me one about a year and a half ago and its one of the best tools in my toolbox. Failing that just unplug your fuel line and start it back up :D. IF your getting fuel from the fuel pump might be you carby is plugged up too bad. It must have been an off day for the subaru gods yesterday. My old MY wagon snuffed out two streets out from home too. Loose connection on the dizzy.

As someone said earlier too (cant remember who) make sure your leads and points are clean and contacting properly and a new set of plugs isnt going to hurt anything.

Regards

Doug

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:56 pm

Well I scored a brand new battery for $70 and a new fuel pump for $60 through work! Yeah boi, now to install them tomorrow and see if the beast will run.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:11 pm

taza wrote:Well I scored a brand new battery for $70 and a new fuel pump for $60 through work! Yeah boi, now to install them tomorrow and see if the beast will run.
Be prepared to rebuild the Carbie!

And have fun! I hope you get it going and there's no major underlying issues!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:11 pm

Got your SMS, will text once we leave Gero
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:38 pm

How'd it go, did you fellas manage to get it going?

Or is Paul yet to work his magic once some CC's "magically" appear at Taza's??

Cheers

Bennie

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:15 am

Actually mate, I got it running before Paul even got there :D

New fuel filter, spark plugs, coolant, cleaned the dizzy cap and air filter. It still was running like a bag of shit so I just cranked the idle right up and let it run for about 20mins like that.

Didn't need the new fuel pump so I returned it and got my money back.

She now starts and runs pretty well. The carby could do with a rebuild as the plunger to do with the accelerator isn't working properly. I can't remember how Paul put it, but as soon as you tap the accelerator it tries to stall then you give it a little more throttle and it's fine.

I also need to rebuild the rear drum on the drivers side, all the springs and clips are bent so I can't hold the shoes in and it leaks heaps of brake fluid. That aswell as bleed the brakes, tidy some of the vacumm lines in the engine bay, clean her and then she's off to go over the pits :D
Oh I need a indicator on the drivers side and spare wheel too..
For under $500 she should be licenced and running :P

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:43 am

Good to hear Taza. I have a rebuild kit here somewhere if you want it. It was for an ea81 though so it may be different. Started rebuilding my carb, but it was beyond repair (gutter bolts and the works) so I webered up.

Regards

Doug

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:38 pm

Looking into my options for a turbo swap into it 6months down the track. I really need a way to liven up my life lol

Thinking 98 or 99 Aus spec wrx or sti motor. AWD conversion with DCCD, VF39 turbo, Ecutek tune and a boost controller.

Should go alright with something like that in it. Do you reckon I'd get it licenced by just going over the pits with the turbo motor in stock form in there...

Opinions guys?

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:58 pm

great find Taza. I'm sure you & Paul will have the bugs sorted out in no time...
taza wrote:Looking into my options for a turbo swap into it 6months down the track. I really need a way to liven up my life lol
A turbo will certainly liven things up lol ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:54 am

Taz, I might have an indicator and spare wheel you can have for nothing. I'll look this weekend for you.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:43 pm

You can't sit still can you?? What happened to the awesome torque of the EA82?

This will be one conversion I'll be keen to see :D

Cheers

Bennie

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:34 pm

El_Freddo wrote:You can't sit still can you?? What happened to the awesome torque of the EA82?
No I can't. What else am I going to do with all my free time since I'm single and live alone lol
The foz will be good with a tuned up, freshly built EJ25 in a few weeks but it's still not going to be a sports car. The EA82 is good but again no sports car. My new L would flog the guts out of my Foz as it is, hell I just drive around in low range all the time as it struggles in every onroad situation. I want something that'll be exciting and give me a thrill. Something that'll surprise people and scare the shit out of friends ;)
This will be one conversion I'll be keen to see :D
Me too, I'm looking forward to doing the wiring. I've even sourced a motor with harness already :twisted:

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:40 pm

You remind me of me Taza. Flog the MY off the road.......Flog the Vortex on the road :D. Il be keen to see some conversion stuff though as Im really tempted to drop an ej into the vort.

Regards

Doug

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:44 pm

Sweet. I hope you're going to beef up the brakes or upgrade to the Xbread conversion. I'd be keen to stick with discs all round, new master cylinder, re-sealed calipers with braided flexible lines (or the road legal equivalent). Then keep the stock tyres/rims for super sleeper style.

You'll have loads of fun with that setup! You should be able to match a taller diff ratio to the stock L series tyre diametre and still have a correct speedo - just got to work out what's going to do the job...

Cheers

Bennie

Davidov

Post by Davidov » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:20 pm

Looking forward to the conversion. Definitely need some bigger brakes on it.

Cant wait for the races we will have. :p
MY03 Outback JDM Turbo Conversion
Taza: "Is this phone quad cam?"

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:56 pm

Got up early this morning, took it to the workshop....

Cleaned the oil leaks from underneath, got the motor running pretty well and cleaned the whole car.
Just got to remove the old tint, fit new indicator and spare wheel, get 2 new tyres and change oil/filter. Didn't make it to the dealer this morning in time so I'll have to wait to get the parts to reassemble the rear drum.
Was great fun getting it there with no brakes... they kinda worked but it was like they don't work at all or they lock and you skid.. pretty funny when you lock them up out front a coffee shop trying to slow down for a speed hump. lol

She'll then be sweet to take over the pits :D Borrowed the 'dealer' plates from work so it means I don't have to pay for permits to get it from home to work and to the pits :P

Looking for a bullbar to put on too as it just looks naked without a roo bar or bullbar.. Anyone know where I can source one from?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Hmmm... This one looks a lot like Ruby Scoo did when I first got her - but I didn't have sunnies or stickers... The colour is pretty close, sort of :rolleyes:

Cheers

Bennie

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:04 pm

^ Yeah it does, I miss my old red one. Everyone has blue/silver but it's alright. The interior is pretty good, the blue is much better than the brown!
The stickers and white rims are the best part Bennie ;)

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Call KPM!!!!!

I've got,
An indicator
A steal spare with a like new tyre
A roobar

Let me know
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”