Brumby build with a difference

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:47 am

chop the guards to suit, brumbyrunner style ;)
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:09 pm

Remember this................Measure twice - cut once ~ Measure twice - cut once .... repeat
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:51 pm

Yeah but I never measured anything - I just assumed that the Brumby crossmember and the WRX crossmember would be in the same position (give or take a few mm).

So what you really meant to say was - Never ASSUME or you make an ASS out of U and ME :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Point

Post by Point » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:06 pm

Are you just going by where the wheel sits in the guard? I think you'll find that if you move the crossmember back you'll have to move the strut towers too. When I measured mine up I took the strut angle (caster) into account (the Brumby has virtually none) and the crossmember bolts are pretty much in line (just wider). The wheels are way forward in the guard opening.
90 Brumby - Stalled EJ project
98 Forester GX
02 Forester XS Luxury

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:13 pm

I've got camber and castor adjustable strut tops but may have to move the strut towers back a bit as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:53 am

It'll make a good trailer one day lol.

seagull

Post by seagull » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:51 pm

niterida wrote:I have made a small breakthrough :)

Bolted all the suspension and crossmembers on to the chassis rails and placed the body over the chassis. Now everything looks like it is in the right place until I put a wheel and front guard on only to discover everything is at least 50mm too far forward !!

So I need to move the engine crossmember mounting points back by 50mm on the chassis and I may be able to squeeze the rotor in after all :)

But that also means I need a new floor because the WRX one I was going to use is now going to be 50mm too short at the front :(
you may wish to measure this based on the issues Tom had with his GF8 when the lift was done.

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:02 pm

Hey Neil - not sure what you mean by that ? I am moving everything back 50mm - so it will all be in the stock position relative to each other (gearbox & engine crossmember, LCA mounts etc)

P.S. sorry I haven't called - been busy sleeping and working !!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:16 am

When we lifted mine it would steer by the accelerator, lift off turn left, foot down turn right....even just slightly, it was VERY scary to drive on the freeway, we tried everything to cure it like 60mm blocks under the rear trailing arms, 50mm blocks where an anti lift kit would go, lengthening the front sway bar mounts but nothing would work, my wheel aligner suggested lengthening the rear trailing arms which was about the last resort so Neil grabbed 4 out of his pile and cut them so they joined an inch longer and strengthened them, instant fix, you wouldn't believe how much it changed the car but not sure if moving the front back will make the same problems I had appear, I'd say it was my rear axles and arms slightly facing forward from the diff making the back of the car steer itself.

Let this be a warning to others lifting Impreza's and Liberty's, my tyres were actually rubbing on the back of the front skirts and I only have 26" tyres on it, when we replaced the lengthened by 25mm arms the wheels came back to the original position and perfect handling again.

stenno

Post by stenno » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:57 am

niterida wrote:I have made a small breakthrough :)

Bolted all the suspension and crossmembers on to the chassis rails and placed the body over the chassis. Now everything looks like it is in the right place until I put a wheel and front guard on only to discover everything is at least 50mm too far forward !!

So I need to move the engine crossmember mounting points back by 50mm on the chassis and I may be able to squeeze the rotor in after all :)

But that also means I need a new floor because the WRX one I was going to use is now going to be 50mm too short at the front :(
Same problem here, front guard sits level with rim at the front and the rim lip sits approx 50mm outside the guard lip. $99 eBay guard roller will hopefully fix this.
What are you doing for the radiator and mount support panel? Weld in wrx mounts and use stock wrx rad, fans and shrouding or use fd3 full setup? From my research fd3 setup has the right size in/outlets and size wise should fit in the existing MY radiator hole with headlight clearance but I can't find a mounting depth measurement inc fans. Did you get one with the half cut? Thanks

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:54 pm

Small update !!

Decided rotary motor was too much hassle and has been sold (at a small profit:) )

So tack welded the chassis rails on. Put an EJ22 engine and gearbox on the crossmembers, added a front hub, coilover and wheel (with 215/60/16 Outback sized tyre!!) and dropped the body over once again.
Bugger me if it didn't fit perfectly using the exisitng crossmember mounting holes on the Brumby chassis. Wheel sits perfectly central and the WRX floor is OK to use as well. Woohoo :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:28 pm

Nice work Ken and why a NA EJ22 when you can build a quadcam EJ22 and bolt on some turbo that might be just laying around ;)

The gaurd looks like it needs to moved in a little which will cause the wheel to stick out... nothing a set of STi flared gaurds couldn't fix.
niterida wrote:Image
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:07 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Nice work Ken and why a NA EJ22 when you can build a quadcam EJ22 and bolt on some turbo that might be just laying around ;)
hmmm maybe because my DOHC heads and turbo are in Perth ??
Will probably build it using this NA motor and keep an eye out for a cheap STi front cut............
RSR 555 wrote:The guard looks like it needs to moved in a little which will cause the wheel to stick out... nothing a set of STi flared gaurds couldn't fix.
Yeah tyres will stick out about 50-60mm - WRX track is 110mm wider than Brumby :shock:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:08 pm

Are you going to widen the arse end to match?, I guess you could use the same type & size rim with a big offset/dish on the back.......Now that would look cool.

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:19 pm

d_generate wrote:Are you going to widen the arse end to match?, I guess you could use the same type & size rim with a big offset/dish on the back.......Now that would look cool.
Yeah its got WRX rear end in it as well so it will have to be have wider guards too.
I have a set of 3piece ROH 18's that I have been thinking of buying a wider outer rim to give me dish. If I use 22b specs I can legally increase the rear track by a further 80mm over the WRX track - so I could run almost 2" of dish :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:47 pm

How far does the rear end stick out past the guards? Time for some flaring??

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:12 pm

El_Freddo wrote:How far does the rear end stick out past the guards? Time for some flaring??

Cheers

Bennie
About the same - definitely needs flaring - want to do it the same as the model in my sig pic. Need to get hold of 2000-2007 model Impreza guards, rear doors and rear quarters to do it like that and that may be too expensive :(

Most likely is using spare Brumby guards and rear quarters I have and extend it all :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:16 pm

Personally I think rolling the guard would look a pot load better than building a "Kryten" flared brumby.

For your those who don't watch Red Dwarf, this is Kryten:

:P

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:21 pm

El_Freddo wrote: For your those who don't watch Red Dwarf, this is Kryten:

:P

Cheers

Bennie
When ABC 2 first came on the air this is all I watched, along with scrap heap challenge and other REAL television.

Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:49 am

niterida wrote:hmmm maybe because my DOHC heads and turbo are in Perth ??
Hope they're not in Perth :o and hope you're not getting charged storage fees :)

Here's a wide body kit for ya...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Subaru-Impre ... 2c4cf34bfb
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”