Brumby build with a difference

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:31 am

SUCCESS AT LAST !!

I had a brain wave a few weeks ago and decided I should be making my bracket out of 2 pieces after all. I was so fixated on making it strong enough by using 1 piece that I didn't see the obvious way of doing it. So we now have 2 cardboard templates :

That are used to make the 2 parts of the bracket :

The benefit of doing it this way is the only bends are for the 'flanges' and because they are narrow they are easily bent and beaten into submission - oops I mean shape.

So they now join up thus :

And fit perfectly into place :

You can see here how this simple flat piece (well slightly bent really) goes across where the chassis used to be welded to the firewall, all the way across the chassis and then joins the other bracket to tie it all together. Pretty sure this will be as strong, if not stronger, than the original position of the chassis

Next job is to tack the WRX floor, the chassis and my new brackets in place and then get a professional to weld it up fully. Then I can just bolt all the WRX suspension and steering and the gearbox straight in. Then I need to finish off mounting the rear suspension, bolt the rotary to the box and job done - NOT !!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:34 am

bloody adventurous fella you are with this project - can only admire and wait.....

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:02 am

steptoe wrote:bloody adventurous fella you are with this project - can only admire and wait.....
Not really that adventurous - all I have done so far is unstitch the chassis and move it over and make a bracket to fit. Should really only have taken me a weekend but has been a few months due to inexperience mainly.

Using the WRX/Liberty floor wasn't a necessity but the Brumby floor was rusty in one corner and badly dented under the drivers seat so it made sense to rip it out. If I do it again I think I will just use the Brumby floor.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:34 pm

Well I have given up - I just cannot get these brackets to fit no matter what I do - its just too hard for me given that I have no experience doing this sort of thing so its off to the scrap heap................................
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:49 pm

niterida wrote:Well I have given up - I just cannot get these brackets to fit no matter what I do - its just too hard for me given that I have no experience doing this sort of thing so its off to the scrap heap................................
BS!! I don't believe it! Hacked?!?

I know you can do this - I've also thought of getting rid of Ruby Scoo when I was down and out, glad I haven't now!

I hope you find it in you to finish this project off, it'll be one of a kind!

Chin up ;)

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:38 pm

Oh dear it appears I lost my internet connection before I could finish. What I was going to say was :
niterida wrote:Well I have given up ON THE BRACKETS - I just cannot get these brackets to fit no matter what I do - its just too hard for me given that I have no experience doing this sort of thing so its off to the scrap heap................................FOR THESE BRACKETS
They just weren't going to work so I decided to try it a different way and just butt weld the inside edge of the bracket to the firewall. They will be strengthened later with a plate across the join.

SUCCESS :

Welding looks like crap but it is just the flash showing up every tiny imperfection. It will obviously be finished off properly and will look like it came that way from the factory.

I even put the chassis rails in position, bolted up the crossmember and lower control arms, threw the hubs, strut brace and coilovers on and bugger me it all fits !! Forgot to take photos of that though :(

Unfortunately I now have to go to Christmas Island with work for 4 weeks so nothing will be done for a while but stay tuned.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:57 pm

Cool, great work, Ohhh and don't worry about 'Unqualified work on cars' post. He is just jealous:wink: keep it up:)
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:31 pm

Yeah I'm not worried. I'm also not doing all the welding myself. Sometimes I get great welds that look like a pro did them and sometimes they look like bird poo. Same settings, same steel - bizarre !! The plan is for me to do half the plug welds and get a pro to do the other half so the engineer can sign off on them. But I have to do a lot of these welds myself because they will be behind the chassis rails and I want to get the rails and floor all in position first for the pro to come and do his stuff.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:31 pm

first thing that poped to my mind was that today is April Fools day, not yesterday lol

good to see its still going

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:37 pm

Green_eyed_liberty wrote:first thing that poped to my mind was that today is April Fools day, not yesterday lol

good to see its still going
Yeah someone on another forum thought it was an Aprils Fool day joke - I hadn't even thought of that cos if I had I would have waited until today to post and made it an AFD joke.

Yeah I've got too much time invested in it and too many people know about it for me to give up now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:29 pm

Many years ago I did an engine conversion on an LH torana. Basically pulled out all the 6 cylinder running gear and made it into a V8 which is basically a bolt up proposition. I was doing the job in the back yard laying under the thing in very trying conditions as something wouldn't fit when my father walked past. We never really got on in those days but he stopped and I heard him say,"you'll work it out." I never forgot it and continued and got the job done.

Both my sons are now tradesmen in the metal industry and the eldest one's a fitter. I have seen him get frustrated working on machinery and I have always said the same thing to him, its just machinery, sit down and work it out.

Sounds like a sh===ty story but true as.
1989 Subaru Brumby - EA82T 5speed box. 4wheel disc, electric Windows plus other goodies.
Future Plans- Seat upgrade and Possible EJ20T implant.

Daily Driver Stock 1991 Brumby.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:39 pm

subybrumby wrote:Many years ago I did an engine conversion on an LH torana. Basically pulled out all the 6 cylinder running gear and made it into a V8 which is basically a bolt up proposition. I was doing the job in the back yard laying under the thing in very trying conditions as something wouldn't fit when my father walked past. We never really got on in those days but he stopped and I heard him say,"you'll work it out." I never forgot it and continued and got the job done.

Both my sons are now tradesmen in the metal industry and the eldest one's a fitter. I have seen him get frustrated working on machinery and I have always said the same thing to him, its just machinery, sit down and work it out.

Sounds like a sh===ty story but true as.
So have you worked out your little problem for your Brumby ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:46 pm

Noooo. I've still got the ej20G closed deck engine sitting on the stand in the shed...probably go with that in case I ever want to sell the car again..would be a more viable proposition with the subaru motor in it...
1989 Subaru Brumby - EA82T 5speed box. 4wheel disc, electric Windows plus other goodies.

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:51 pm

subybrumby wrote:Noooo. I've still got the ej20G closed deck engine sitting on the stand in the shed...probably go with that in case I ever want to sell the car again..would be a more viable proposition with the subaru motor in it...
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:56 pm

Ya lost me...anyway good luck with the rotor....I've been following your thread....(I just think that the engine conversion we spoke of would be too radical)

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:00 pm

I was just saying an EJ motor is boring compared to what you were thinking of doing :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:30 pm

mmmmm. Yes I know.....

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:43 pm

Dreams Ken Dreams.. you remember them ;)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Fri May 18, 2012 1:08 am

well the dreams are over - the rotary won't fit :-(
now on the lookout for a decent turbo subie motor or maybe a good H6 ??
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:49 am

niterida wrote:well the dreams are over - the rotary won't fit :-(
now on the lookout for a decent turbo subie motor or maybe a good H6 ??
Dont you have an h6 already?
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”