Silverbullets' resto: Engine, gearbox, suspension

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: Silverbullets' resto: Engine, gearbox, suspension

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:33 pm

5spd box or standard 4spd?

With the bending of the paint try warming it up a bit.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:00 pm

It's an L series 5 speed, I think it must be the short 3.7 ratio because with the other wheels cruising at 100 km/h the engine was over 3k revs. Now it's just under 3k at 100 km/h with the bigger wheels.

I "adjusted" the drivers side arch on Sunday since that was the worst, didn't go too well in the paint department :cry: It seems very very fragile, cracks like an egg shell. I figure it's not going to be too awful though since it is only a very small area and I can cover up the damage with touch up paint and the flares I'm putting on soon will cover it completely. Just changing the drivers side has removed 90% of the scrubbing.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:09 pm

Progress update I guess, I've used the blue beasty as my daily for the past week to and from work :razz: I'd say it's 95% perfect; cold mornings it starts up instantly, the heater warms up before I even get to the main road, heat control knob/tap is perfect, front demister works perfectly despite no A/C. It's been raining non-stop all week (weird for Adelaide) so was a good test of the electrical system with headlights, heater fan, wipers, stereo turned up full :lol: heaps of electrical load, all worked flawlessly. Wipers front and back is all great, stereo sounds awesome 8-)

It handles great, the ride is actually really comfortable with all that new sidewall height. I can feel the rear air shocks working their magic on the undulating bumpy roads around here and it just feels planted (It's actually more comfortable than my 4th gen Liberty! But that does have lowered springs) The car handles 100 km/h in high winds smoothly, doesn't even wander to the sides which I'm amazed by since I haven't got the steering aligned yet.

The things that need improvement? mainly the leak in the front windscreen :roll: It only leaks when the car is parked on the driveway angled downhill, so I came out one morning to find the drivers carpet soaked :-x Exactly the same scenario as when it was on the road 8 years ago! And of course it rains every night I have the car parked in that spot, doesn't rain if it is not parked in that spot. I never put any sealer/silastic under the new windscreen rubber like the manual says so I'll be doing that this weekend front and rear. Another thing is the rear demister is dead, I haven't needed it much though. I can't fix the one laminated onto the rear glass so I'm working on a 12v PTC heater and little blower fan to mount in the tailgate.
Also there is a lot of knocking noises coming from the rear LHS suspension over bumps and dips, can't find any loose bolts back there so not sure what the cause is.

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”