NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:08 am

G'day Trappr & TigerChef ;)

Tigerchef, it might be in the AUSubaru Tech Manual

Trappr, try posting a question in the Troubleshooting section
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

SoobiDoo97

Post by SoobiDoo97 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:39 am

Hey :) im new!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:31 pm

SoobiDoo97 wrote:Hey :) im new!
Welcome to the forum mate!

Where's Bermagui?

You should drop into the My Car section and start a thread about your ride(s).

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

JBNielsen

Post by JBNielsen » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:44 am

Hey I'm new! Currently I am tossing up between two Subaru L series wagons. I would really appreciate some help in deciding which one to go for! Im pretty excited to get my hands on one! Great cars, will be my first vehicle and also a running project.

First one is a '93 GL Sportswagon with 240K, Needs new windscreen (seals are gone) and CV boot.
Is pretty straight and clean, currently unregistered. Drives pretty well. Needs auto choke tuning. Got power steering.

The second is a '93 L Series "L" Deluxe. Its only done 80,000Km and its got full log books and its been over serviced. Got 9 months rego. No aircon, No power steering.

The big difference I can see is that the GL has power steering.. and the L doesn't.
Is this going to make any difference? Also, are there any other major differences between these two vehicles?

cheers

Jez

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:52 pm

JBNielsen wrote:First one is a '93 GL Sportswagon with 240K, Needs new windscreen (seals are gone) and CV boot.
Is pretty straight and clean, currently unregistered. Drives pretty well. Needs auto choke tuning. Got power steering.

The second is a '93 L Series "L" Deluxe. Its only done 80,000Km and its got full log books and its been over serviced. Got 9 months rego. No aircon, No power steering.

The big difference I can see is that the GL has power steering.. and the L doesn't.
Is this going to make any difference? Also, are there any other major differences between these two vehicles?
Welcome to the forum mate.

I'll answer some of your questions here, but it would be best to start a new thread in the subaru chat of the forum ;)

Both of those L series are DL's. The "delux" model is quickly distinguished by it's raised roof bump behind the front seats. This model will also have power everything, carpet and a standard 4 speaker sound system. Not all have AC - I thought they all did but I have one that doesn't!

The units in question - well, it's hard to say, but power steering is great to have, just makes it that much easier to drive the car than a non power steering one.

There's no windscreen seal. The "seal" is actually a rubberised glue type stuff, possibly a silicone. If this is leaking the glue has either failed, or worse - rusted out around the windscreen.

Rust is the biggest killer - the windscreen is the prime area. Either get a clean unit without any windscreen rust or be prepared to have it fixed/do your own body work! If there's some bubbling around the bottom corners of the windscreen and "it doesn't look that bad" it will be about 10 times worse than you think!

The drive train is pretty much the same between all L series with some minor variations in diff output stub spline counts - one for carbie L series, a larger one for MPFI (EFI) L series. The touring wagon can also be found in MPFI format as well. I'm an EFI convert myself.

It really depends on what you want, how much you want to spend and what you're willing to fix yourself - and what time frame you have to do all of this in. It's pretty hard to find an L series with full service history these days let alone one in immaculate condition that's also a manual!

If you do get the one without the PS or AC, you can fit it. If you know how to spin a spanner, get dirty and frustrated in the process you could potentially build your DL L series into a GL touring wagon with all the goodies. Or just get a touring wagon to begin with :rolleyes:

I hope this helps! Rust is the main thing to look out for. The "lifter tick of death" isn't really a problem, but knocking I'd walk away from. They're a great car that are pretty basic that will keep going if you look after the fluid levels. EA82s (the engine type) all come with factory oil leaks ;)

Cheers

Bennie

JBNielsen

Post by JBNielsen » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:03 pm

Thanks bennie that really gives me something to think about. Where should i post more about this topic? Im new to forums...

Im in Melbourne, where is a good subaru mechanic that can help me with my project?

I would like get a bit more help with my decisions. I will also post photos when i see the car on saturday.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:48 pm

G'day SoobiDoo97 :mrgreen:

Bermagui...lucky bugger, you have some awesome fishing there!

JBNielsen, out of those 2 I'd be going for the over-serviced, low km one any day. As El Freddo said you can always put in power steering & A/c but that may be a bit harder. But thats nothing compared to removing rust esp around the windscreen! Rust is a cancer you should try to avoid at all costs.

You could start a new thread asking for advice in Subaru chat. There's lots of people on here very knowledgeable about the much loved L series ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

SoobiDoo97

Post by SoobiDoo97 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:37 am

thank you! yes, very awesome fishing... Although i have never actually caught a good fish lol!

JBNielsen

Post by JBNielsen » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:04 pm

NachaLuva,

Cheers for the advice. I think I will go with the over serviced one on account of the chances of rust on the GL.

Its a great deal. Im super excited to get my first subie!

I will be posting some threads as soon as I've purchased the vehicle :)

Big things to come!

Legourde_nux

Subies fro the otherside of the world

Post by Legourde_nux » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:39 am

Hello everyone.....I'm new here.

Currently living in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and proud owner of two Subaru from 1993.

Got a 1979 Gen 1 "Brumby" (well no name was given for the Dominican market) and a 1994 Impreza GL.

Decided to join this forum for my never ending quest for knowledge.

Thanks and have a nice day!!

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:18 pm

Welcome Legourde_nux :)
ImageImageImage
2012 Subaru Forester - 2.0D Premium ~ 2002 Subaru Forester - Limited (Lifted)

Daryl

Hi there

Post by Daryl » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi there. I don't have a 'new thread' link. The reason I joined is that I just bought a L series 1991 4wd wagon. In really good condition. Loving it! However, a friend of mine found a touring wagon 1984 model up for sale. I am looking at fitting out my interior with the luxury touring interior. Can anyone tell me if they are compatible with each other? Many thanks for any help and hope to get to know a few of you as I add to my new Subi.

Regards, Daryl:cool:

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:35 pm

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to seeing some pics :)
ImageImageImage

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:55 pm

Daryl wrote:Hi there. I don't have a 'new thread' link. The reason I joined is that I just bought a L series 1991 4wd wagon. In really good condition. Loving it! However, a friend of mine found a touring wagon 1984 model up for sale. I am looking at fitting out my interior with the luxury touring interior. Can anyone tell me if they are compatible with each other? Many thanks for any help and hope to get to know a few of you as I add to my new Subi.

Regards, Daryl:cool:
G'day and welcome Daryl. Unfortunately for you everything on the '84 wagon interior is completely different to an L series. Only a few things will interchange mechanically too.
The '84 is basically the same platform as the Brumby.
Cheers, John

liteon

Post by liteon » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:50 pm

Hey fellas,

Name is Chris, just moved into a new house in Seaford with a Garage (after metro apartment living for years). Settlement day picked up two cheap Brumby's before I even had the keys! Have already purchased heaps of parts for a ground up restoration (many pics to follow). Will be a very slow process as we are also renovating the house. I'll start my own resto thread when I get a chance.

Looking forward to lots of advice and parts! I'm going to need it.

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:04 pm

Welcome to the Forum Chris! I look forward to seeing the progress of your Brumby(s) :)
ImageImageImage

zookcruzr

Post by zookcruzr » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:44 pm

G'Day guys/gals.
My name is Levi.
Been wanting a Brumby for a while now and have just bought a 90, the one with twin headlights. Has Tourer canopy. Bull bar. Just put in a decent stereo.
From Newcastle area in NSW.
Wanting to do elec windows, 5spd, winch, spotties, possibly 2" susp lift, sunraisers and tint.
Currently researching if a variable wiper install is possible, maybe added on the steering column on the left and using the existing wipers switch for spotties.
Thats enough rambling

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:52 pm

Welcome Levi, I look forward to seeing some photos of your Brumby :)
ImageImageImage

flat_four

Post by flat_four » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:32 pm

Hi guys,
I just purchased a 1996 Impreza Hatch GX AWD with 155kms on the clock As my second car, I am looking at maybe lifting it a little, maybe with just larger wheels and tyres and a few other mods here and there, as this is my first Subaru, I have some questions so I will start a thread for that.

Thanks
Wade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:44 pm

flat_four wrote:Hi guys,
I just purchased a 1996 Impreza Hatch GX AWD with 155kms on the clock As my second car, I am looking at maybe lifting it a little, maybe with just larger wheels and tyres and a few other mods here and there, as this is my first Subaru, I have some questions so I will start a thread for that.
G'day Wade, welcome to the forum!

From good ol' Kyet'on! I'm originally from Cobaw...

Sounds like a good starting base for an offroader! If you can get down to melbourne checkout pick a part and imalach's (I think that's the correct spelling - formally known as Centre Rd Wreckers - on Centre Rd, Springvale ;))

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “New Members & Introductions”