New members - Read first post & say G'day

"Read before registering / posting - New Members"
wrxpc

New user with an EA82T

Post by wrxpc » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:55 pm

Hi there,

Getting the "First Post" out of the way ..

I'm a long standing member over at the Perth-WRX forums but I'm also the proud owner of an L Series - two in fact :-) I have a 93 wagon that I've been using for a daily driver for nearly a year and I love it, cheap to run and I can throw my kayak on the roof to head down the beach whenever I want. It's a reliable little beast but while trawling Gumtree a month or so ago I came across an 89 Touring Wagon with a factory fitted turbo - I didn't know what that was at the time but I've since discovered it's an EA82T. It was only running on three cylinders but I took a chance on it, and to cut a long story short it's now on my front lawn. I've overcome most of it's problems and I have it running, but one of the previous owners has decided that it didn't really need all those vacuum lines and has done a bit of 'modification' to them... needless to say I don't think it's helping, so I'd like to put it back how it should be.

Is there anyone else here in Perth with the same engine configuration? I'd be keen to meet up so I can work out what this should look like and see if I can put it back how it's meant to be. If not maybe there is someone kind enough to take some photos of the engine bay, and I'm happy to post up what I have so we can compare.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mods if you think this should be in one of the mechanical sections please let me know and I'll remove this post, thanks.

Cheers,

Wrxpc

Wolfix

Post by Wolfix » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:22 pm

Hey, I'm from NSW, Blue Mountains. Just bought my first car in Jan 2013; Outback H6 Premium 2004. Very happy with her. Called her Sussubio. She had 213,000 on the clock when I bought her so I'm being very gentle, hoping to stretch her life out as much as possible. I'll probably sell her and upgrade to a newer model with lower Ks in a couple of years.

BRAT87

Finally got a Brumby!

Post by BRAT87 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:19 pm

Hey guys!

well after months of deliberation and many msg's and links sent through from my brother (rodeo4jake) I finally sold my 2008 D22 Nissan Navara and bought myself a 1987 Subaru Brumby. LOL I know, might sound a little crazy, but I needed the cash for other things and I still needed a ute.

[ATTACH]4073[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4074[/ATTACH]

Have never owned one of these before and so I've noticed it's one of those utes that has a cult following of some sort. The ute is missing a few little odds and ends which I'm hoping I can track down, being such an old car.

Anyway, enjoy the pics and if anyone has any bits lying around that they want to sell, give me a shout out!
Attachments
Picture 004.jpg
Picture 004.jpg (115.8 KiB) Viewed 7166 times
Picture 001.jpg
Picture 001.jpg (121.23 KiB) Viewed 7166 times

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:12 pm

Good move , seen it before somehwere ??? I think you'll find the brakes last a little longer than the Navaras. Common to need new front discs and pads around 40,000 and seen one with just 25,000 - roo ted in Melb traffic, the aftermarket replacements lasted to 115,000km and new same again !

Worth buying a second Brumby or MY sedan/wagon to start a parts collection - it's what I did, one MY sedan, one Brumby, then did same for my L sedan, bought a sedan or two, two wagons oh and a second Vortex for parts and just spent all day in my shed wonderin' what I have been up to these last few years - collecting bits for a car or cars , scratch that, make it breed of cars that really do not break, break down or even wear out ! Chucking half my radiator collection, half my clutch collection, half charcoal cannister collection ......

You will find so many will have fond tales to tell of their old Brumby, or someone they know with a Brumby. Don't be put off the fact many girls got a Brumby for carting haybales about, while their brothers got V8 utes :)

Just get used to that Brumby wave too :)

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:55 pm

Welcome aboard bros, you'll find they are a very helpful & friendly bunch on here. Your Brumby rocks too, it's been fun having it at my house while it lasted.:)

Cheers Jake

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:48 pm

BRAT87 wrote: Anyway, enjoy the pics and if anyone has any bits lying around that they want to sell, give me a shout out!
Well, I do have that cars 4 poster bullbar on my Brumby, (Owner sold it to me as he was going all original)
BUT YOU CANT HAVE IT, sorry :)

Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

Carlton

Post by Carlton » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:48 am

Hello Guys

Carlton here. I am newbie to this site and this is my first post. I found this site on google search because I was searching for the Subaru cars, today's I am interested in those cars and wanna get some basic knowledge about them. I hope I am on right platform and I will find enough knowledge on this site. Thanks

BRAT87

Post by BRAT87 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:56 am

Hey mate,

Yeah pretty happy with the Brumby. Not too sure what Navara you have been hanging around or owned???? My one was 5 years old with 93,000km's on the clock and still on the original brake pads and rotors. Just passed a road worthy and the break test results were at 102%. Not sure if the brakes on the Brumby will last as long but we will see..... Having said that I'm pretty easy on my cars, brakes especially. Leave lots of room to slow down and use the gears. That's how you get the most life out of them. Can't speak for what other people do or how they drive.
steptoe wrote:Good move , seen it before somehwere ??? I think you'll find the brakes last a little longer than the Navaras. Common to need new front discs and pads around 40,000 and seen one with just 25,000 - roo ted in Melb traffic, the aftermarket replacements lasted to 115,000km and new same again !

Worth buying a second Brumby or MY sedan/wagon to start a parts collection - it's what I did, one MY sedan, one Brumby, then did same for my L sedan, bought a sedan or two, two wagons oh and a second Vortex for parts and just spent all day in my shed wonderin' what I have been up to these last few years - collecting bits for a car or cars , scratch that, make it breed of cars that really do not break, break down or even wear out ! Chucking half my radiator collection, half my clutch collection, half charcoal cannister collection ......

You will find so many will have fond tales to tell of their old Brumby, or someone they know with a Brumby. Don't be put off the fact many girls got a Brumby for carting haybales about, while their brothers got V8 utes :)

Just get used to that Brumby wave too :)

ScottinForster

Hello Punters and any Tribeca owners

Post by ScottinForster » Mon May 06, 2013 10:16 am

Hi,
I'm Scott from Forster NSW. I am the proud owner of a 06 Tribeca. A car that suites our purpose- longer trips to Newcastle for family visits and the occasional run around town car. The Tribeca is safe and a happy highway cruiser.

My first Subie was a 87 Leone Dl wagon. Loved that car to its sad demise at 520k/km. The motor wouldn't die but almost everything else wore out. Like ignition switch, door locks and handles etc. It's last long trip was a non-stop drive from Forster to Darwin. That car pounded Kakadu and a brief trip into Arnhem Land (I have a work permit so quite legit).

Lots of stories to tell.

Cheers

Scott

badga880

Post by badga880 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:51 am

Hi my name is Kerry Iam fit tall and own a firemans uniform waxed and oiled body oops wrong site... looking to purchase late model brumby in the next few weeks get a donor leone and fit auto to brumby have been reading threads here there seems to be a bit of info on how to do it so I should be Ok car is going to be used as daily driver from Gold Coast to brisbane that is why I want an auto. Yep I am a lazy old fart also want to keep an ea81 for my grand kids to drive see told you I was an old fart must admit seems to be plenty of info available here thanks

mumbleman

Post by mumbleman » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:34 pm

Hi all
We just got a 1994 gen 1 gx liberty for my sons first car with 170K on it. Just Trying to iron out the small problems you get with a second hand car, So hoping this site will help.
Our mechanic says it looks ok and has given it a service.
Only thing really bugging me is I think the heater core may be be leaking ever so slightly. Can smell it in the car, and the windscreen fogs up easily with heater on. Cant notice it in loss of coolant or wet spot in car or engine bay yet. (havent had it long ).
Is this common or easily repaired. Are heater cores available. (sorry if this is the wrong place for this question).
But apart from that the car is great fun to drive.

Yarran

94 L Series sports wagon

Post by Yarran » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:29 am

Hey guys just joined today, always loved subarus and had my eye on L series look like fun and easy to work on! I'm an electrician by trade but quickly learning auto electictrics and not so quickly learning mechanics!! Ha

I got given and 85 l series wagon and then a few months down the track bought a 94 sports wagon for $150 witch is now registered after a lot of work and swapping simple parts radiator and body work + electric problems

Had a lot of fun playing around with it and am now looking to body lift it it already has king springs and kyb shocks do sitts a little higher. But I want to fit some maxxis muddies and still have some room to move so if anyone in aus knows of a lift kit around PM me I would be appreciative.

BTW love the forum and will be sticking around for good! Cheers guys!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:01 am

mumbleman wrote:Hi all
We just got a 1994 gen 1 gx liberty for my sons first car with 170K on it. Just Trying to iron out the small problems you get with a second hand car, So hoping this site will help.
Our mechanic says it looks ok and has given it a service.
Only thing really bugging me is I think the heater core may be be leaking ever so slightly. Can smell it in the car, and the windscreen fogs up easily with heater on. Cant notice it in loss of coolant or wet spot in car or engine bay yet. (havent had it long ).
Is this common or easily repaired. Are heater cores available. (sorry if this is the wrong place for this question).
But apart from that the car is great fun to drive.
It could just be the smell of the interior! The fogging could be condensation from the AC box being pushed up onto the windscreen. My wife's VT does it from time to time when we use the AC in winter.
Yarran wrote:Hey guys just joined today, always loved subarus and had my eye on L series look like fun and easy to work on! I'm an electrician by trade but quickly learning auto electictrics and not so quickly learning mechanics!! Ha

I got given and 85 l series wagon and then a few months down the track bought a 94 sports wagon for $150 witch is now registered after a lot of work and swapping simple parts radiator and body work + electric problems

Had a lot of fun playing around with it and am now looking to body lift it it already has king springs and kyb shocks do sitts a little higher. But I want to fit some maxxis muddies and still have some room to move so if anyone in aus knows of a lift kit around PM me I would be appreciative.
Love my L series! I'm sure you'll be the same too. If you really want to look into auto electrics and some mechanical stuff, head down the EJ conversion route :twisted: Then watch your L series come alive!

Welcome to the forum to you both ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

mumbleman

Post by mumbleman » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:57 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys . I also made a mistake, sons liberty was built july 1994 I think that makes it a series 2??

MuZ

Post by MuZ » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:16 pm

Hi all, picked up an 89 brumby that was 3 parts rust for a not much more than a handful of change not long ago and have been scouring this forum ever since.

Ive been plugging away at the rust slowly and hopefully it'll pass rego when it's due in 6 months. Honestly one of the best cars I've owned. Stoked with it rusty as it is.

Hope to learn a heap more from this forum in the coming months.

Weeksy

G'day from Brisbane NorWest

Post by Weeksy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:25 am

Hey there, guys and girls.
Just registered on the forum and thought I'd say, "G'day."
Just bought an Outback H6 Gen3 (02) and thought it was about time I joined a forum like this seeing as I've only owned Subies for the past 15 years (the Mrs bought a little pug for herself, but I don't judge her for it - much).
Not very mechanically minded, but figure I can learn a bit from all you guys who know what you're doing...
That's about it.
Cheers.
Weeksy

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:18 am

G'day Weeksy, welcome ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:02 pm

Welcome to the forum :)
ImageImageImage
2012 Subaru Forester - 2.0D Premium ~ 2002 Subaru Forester - Limited (Lifted)

Marconi212003

Gday all

Post by Marconi212003 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:20 am

Hi everybody, just registered. I've got a 89 Brumby ( unregistered farm ute) & a 98 outback with a blown head gasket :-(
Should be picking up a 96 doner car on Monday then I'll have two green outbacks yay:-):D

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:35 am

Welcome to the forum :D I hope you enjoy your stay!
ImageImageImage
2012 Subaru Forester - 2.0D Premium ~ 2002 Subaru Forester - Limited (Lifted)

Return to “New Members & Introductions”