New members - Read first post & say G'day

"Read before registering / posting - New Members"
gary2009

Re: New members - Read first post & say G'day

Post by gary2009 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:42 pm

hi everyone my name is Gary I own a 2009 Subaru impreza im trying to get it back on the road its cost me over $2000.00 so far after it broke the timing belt tensioner bolt and one thumb nearly cut it off with grinder making a valve press now I have only one hand to fix it.

8191Brumby

Post by 8191Brumby » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:36 am

G’day. I must admit I’m new to Subaru cars, but have enjoyed getting to know the Brumby cars I’ve recently purchased. I have a few “older” cars I share with my brother: a 1989 NA MX5, a 1978 Fairmont GXL, and these two Brumbys. I was really lucky to buy the first, a first generation Brumby from 1981. No rust and straight, but an ex farm ute with only 130,000 kilometres on the clock. I have 4 YouTube videos on that one if you’d like to check it out. It’s a great little car. I’ve been told it’s very rare being the original “curvy” shape. Any others out there on this Forum? The second Brumby is a 91 model with 152K. It’s a good car but I’ve just discovered bubbles in the radiator... I think I have problems with that one. Anyhow, glad this site exists. I might have to use the expertise of others sooner than I thought.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:25 pm

Ah, now the 8191 makes sense in your username 8191Brumby!

Welcome. Start a build/my car thread or two once you work out how to post images. It’s not as straight forward as bookface, but then searching for anything useful on bookface isn’t straight forward either...

The 81 “brumby” would certainly be a rarity let alone if it’s in good condition. These usually rusted out and ended up on a farm then the scrap heap. Keep it tidy and jump on any rust as soon as you see it.

The 91 sounds good. The head gasket job isn’t overly difficult if you know your way around a tool kit and a workshop manual ;) It’s worth getting onto sooner rather than later, less potential for a dangerous overheat event.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

8191Brumby

Post by 8191Brumby » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:58 am

Thanks for the welcome. I’m hopeless at computer stuff and can’t easily navigate around these sites, so sorry if I should be posting elsewhere. I don’t think I can do the HG myself and not 100% sure it’s even the HG that’s the trouble. I took a video of what’s happening and put it on YouTube. https://youtu.be/3gWpN2KfQwc
Do you or others have a recommendation of someone in Sydney who does head gasket repairs, even a retired Subaru mechanic or well versed Subi enthusiast? Thanks if you can make a recommendation. I’ll try to find the right place on this site to ask this sort of thing. Cheers.

8191Brumby

Post by 8191Brumby » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:06 pm

I should have mentioned I’m keen to learn from a master mechanic how to change the HG. Only way i’ll learn ...

BrisBrumby

Post by BrisBrumby » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:45 am

Hello from Brisbane, my suby is an 87 brumby ea81.

StephenMcVeagh

Post by StephenMcVeagh » Mon May 10, 2021 5:52 pm

Hi all....yet another one who has caught the Melbourne version of Brumby fever.....just bought myself an 86 Targa Top model (no AC though)...in pretty good nice, though unregistered for a few years....going over it with a view to put it on club rego soonish....any comments on what the ebay aluminum radiators are like?..my first job is to either replace or repair the old one..thanks!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 10, 2021 10:36 pm

G’day Stephen,

I’m not a fan of eBay radiators. Buy from a shop where it comes with a warranty or some sort of after sale service.

If your old radiator can be repaired, this could be a good way to go.

Well done on scoring a targa top! The Covid tax has driven the prices right up atm and fomo has them selling almost on the day they go up for sale!

Start a build thread when you’ve got some pics and something to share ;)

Cheers

Bennie

XVXVXV

Post by XVXVXV » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:49 pm

Hello,

I am a new member (obviously).

I don't actually own a car at this stage, but have decided to buy a XV later this year.

I guess I've signed up to the forum to find out as much as I can about XVs in general and specifically what gear other users have purchased.

Stay safe

Philip

2008-3beca

Post by 2008-3beca » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:59 pm

Hello everybody,

I’m Glen, from Brisbane, and have inherited a 2008 B9 Tribeca along the way.
I was just wondering about improving fuel economy by any chance? I have seen these “performance chips” on eBay and was hoping that some people in here have had some experience with something along those lines and if they could shed some light on potential fuel economy gains!

Thanks in advance!

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:48 am

2008-3beca wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:59 pm
Hello everybody,

I’m Glen, from Brisbane, and have inherited a 2008 B9 Tribeca along the way.
I was just wondering about improving fuel economy by any chance? I have seen these “performance chips” on eBay and was hoping that some people in here have had some experience with something along those lines and if they could shed some light on potential fuel economy gains!

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the board Glen, sorry those Ebay chips are a waste of money. sadly the Tribeca is a big beast with a big engine. a good service routine will keep the engine and transmission in good condition. which will help keep fuel use down.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:33 pm

G’day Glen,

Keeping tyres up to correct pressure or a little above could help with fuel economy as does driving style.

The other thing to look into is the possibility of tuning the ECU to run better for your needs. Subaru produce a tune for thousands of vehicles so there could be some scope to squeeze a bit more from the H6.

Removing roof racks when not needed will have an effect on fuel economy too.

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:34 pm

G’day Phillip,

Welcome to the forum too mate!

The only thing I really know about the XV is that they’re (or they used to be) based on the Impreza platform with raised suspension, much like the forester started out in the late 90’s.

Cheers

Bennie

Bosco15

Post by Bosco15 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:53 am

Hello everybody.
Mark from Newcastle, NSW.
Had a few four bangers over the years, but never a ScoobyDo.
Just picked up an ‘88 Brumby that has been a farm car for the last ten years.
She is a genuinely rust free car. Been dry in the county forever.
Having said that she is one ugly duckling. Not a straight panel in the whole car, but I love “Patina” lol.
Lots of work to do to get her back on the road, but nothing major.
Number one on the list was getting all of the rat poo out of her. New carpets on the way to deal with the stink.
Cheers for the add to such a great forum.

Bosco15

Post by Bosco15 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:07 am

StephenMcVeagh wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 5:52 pm
Hi all....yet another one who has caught the Melbourne version of Brumby fever.....just bought myself an 86 Targa Top model (no AC though)...in pretty good nice, though unregistered for a few years....going over it with a view to put it on club rego soonish....any comments on what the ebay aluminum radiators are like?..my first job is to either replace or repair the old one..thanks!
I worked in the radiator game for 13years. Copper and brass radiators are a little more expensive than the aluminium versions, but are way more robust.
Alloy ones can corrode and leak within days if you have any sort of electrolysis happening. A bad coolant mix can also kill alloys quickly. Bite the bullet and shell out for the copper rad and your hip pocket will thank you.
Also, flush that system and flush it some more then use coolant concentrate with at least 1000g/l ethylene glycol, top off with distilled water. Pre mix coolants are not worth the money.
Flush, flush, flush.
Cheers. Mark.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:40 pm

Welcome Mark, sounds like you’re onto a little gem there!

And good advice with the radiator and the coolant.

Cheers

Bennie

Rob688

Post by Rob688 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:45 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the invite, I recently purchased a new 2021 WRX CVT Rally Blue the wait was 3months, but it was definitely worth it, I absolutely love its performance handling & excellent daily driving.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:48 pm

G’day Rob! Mate, you must currently have THE NEWEST Subaru on the forum!!

Please post up mods/issues/findings/questions in the relevant sections of the forum for your vehicle. The more information shared on the new models, the more people might join in on sharing their experiences and remedies etc.

I’m looking forward to some pics of your new pride and joy!

Cheers

Bennie

XVXVXV

Post by XVXVXV » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:38 am

El_Freddo wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:34 pm
G’day Phillip,

Welcome to the forum too mate!

The only thing I really know about the XV is that they’re (or they used to be) based on the Impreza platform with raised suspension, much like the forester started out in the late 90’s.

Cheers

Bennie
Hello Bernie,

I'm struggling to see any dedicated pages in the board index specifically about the XV.

Philip

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:57 pm

XVXVXV wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:38 am
Hello Bernie,

I'm struggling to see any dedicated pages in the board index specifically about the XV.

Philip
Good pick up there Philip, I’ll get that sorted soon as I’m on my phone atm and rectifying a subforum name is a lot easier on the computer ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “New Members & Introductions”