Tgv problems

"Read before registering / posting - New Members"
chippers

Tgv problems

Post by chippers » Tue May 03, 2022 5:41 pm

Hi Guys my name is John and my problem is with my 2013 Subaru XV. My troubles first started around the middle of March 2021. I had several warning lights come on in the dash with the engine warning light solid orange a message saying "Emission control system needs to be checked - Vehicle dynamics control system needs to be checked [warning light solid orange] - Hill start system needs to be checked [warning light solid orange] and the cruise control light flashing. Consequently antiskid, hill start and cruise control not functioning.
I contacted the workshop where I have my car serviced and booked it in for the 19th March 2021, the afternoon before it was due to go in the alarms disappeared and the car was working perfectly so I called the workshop to cancel but was told that the alarms would still be there and to bring it in. After testing the report came back as - Scan test ECU record fault codes:-p2005 - intake runner valve stuck open bank 2, codes were cleared and I was told that if it happened again they would remove the intake manifold [an easy job] and free up the stuck valve. Unfortunately the same alarms came up as before late the same afternoon.
I thought that removing the intake manifold myself I could do it myself, but after going through the workshop manual I realised it was not as easy as I thought. I applied one and a half cans of Subaru upper engine cleaner.
I purchased an OBD=II diagnostic scanner and came up with a code p2012 intake manifold runner control circuit low bank 2. I decided to remove the tumble generator valve actuator to see if the shaft was stuck, after disconnecting the wiring connector I found that the top of the unit was full of an oily substance. I removed the actuator and found that the shaft was free with no binding. The unit itself was dripping with fluid, applying power to the motor it worked in both directions but it smoked a bit. I assumed then that the sensor was at fault , after cleaning the unit as best I could I replaced it and cleared the alarm codes.
The car ran well until late October 2021 when the faults started to appear again, I found that when the engine was warm I could remove the fault codes but they would return when the engine was cold. I decided to replace the unit, got a quote from Subaru 21/01/2022 of $487.40 + shipping. I ended up contacting Amayama in Japan 26/01/2022 ordered the unit for $116.53 inclusive..
I received the unit 02/05/2022, fitted it the same day could not clear codes, bugger, same fault as before. At a loss, anybody have any ideas before I take it to Subaru... Thanks in Advance

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: Tgv problems

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 07, 2022 10:29 am

G’day Chippers,

I’d first be trying to work out where the oil is coming from! Is the PCV valve located somewhere in this area, and when was that replaced last?

I’m assuming you have an FB engine in your XV. I’m not overly familiar with these engines.

Other query to check out is what the trouble shooting solution is to the circuit low bank two code you’re getting. You might need to find an online manual for this. There are many sites you can use for this. Do a google search and pick the one your happiest with. My thinking was that it’s a voltage issue, but since it’s “circuit low” you’d need to find out the proper interpretation of this label - could be voltage, could be low performance as in it’s moving too slow…

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

chippers

Re: Tgv problems

Post by chippers » Sat May 07, 2022 6:34 pm

Thanks Bennie much appreciated

Return to “New Members & Introductions”