G'day from Sydney

"Read before registering / posting - New Members"
Pogman

G'day from Sydney

Post by Pogman » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:59 pm

Hey guys,

Just bought a Brumby and starting the long task of restoring her to her former glory, as it has seen better days.
I've been a long time forum stalker and thought I'd finally join in the conversation. Thanks for having me and I'm sure I'll be pestering with questions shortly :)

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:48 pm

Welcome Pogman and congratulations on the purchase of your Brumby :D

I will be on the hunt for a nice little Brumby in the not to distant future too :)

Need another Subie that the Husband won't say no to getting lifted and modified for some decent off road action :twisted:
ImageImageImage
2012 Subaru Forester - 2.0D Premium ~ 2002 Subaru Forester - Limited (Lifted)

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:49 pm

G'day mate

Welcome aboard, be good to see some photos of what your starting with. Everyone in here likes that sort of thing. Have fun with it, they're great little cars. I can't stop finding jobs to do on mine.

Cheers Jake

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:02 pm

Hi and Welcome Pogman :)

Do you have any pics that you would care to show us?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Pogman

Post by Pogman » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:35 pm

Certainly, here she is. Looks good from the outside.

Turns out since I bought it there is a LOT more work than anticipated so have gotten into it over the last week. All the obvious filters and fluids but also went about installing new driveshafts and bearings.

Now all seemed good after the new CVs but since installing it I have discovered the same knocking noise from the old ones has returned almost straight away but louder. I took the car to the place that made the drive shafts for me and they are adamant that they did a good job and not their fault etc etc but I cant see what else could be it. It only knocks under power when turning right. No power then no noise, no diff whine either.

They have agreed to give me a new shaft :cool: and I'll see if it fixes it.

Also managed to score some old 14' pug steelies that have been sitting in a mates backyard for years gathering rust so had the old tyres pulled and began the restoration. Now the big question.... What colour do I paint the wheels? I'm leaning towards white

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:02 pm

G'day and welcome to the forum Pogman!

That's a very nice looking brumby there! The main thing with these machines these days is that they're rust free - keep on top of any rust work as the sooner you get onto it the better it is for the long run of your brumby.

Mechanical stuff - that's easily replaced when worn out.

That knock could be a strut issue - McPherson struts tend to wear out then clunk/knock. Mine on the L series used to do it only at full lock, I replaced hub knuckle assemblies, bearings, brakes then finally the strut - that's when the knocking disappeared.

Pugs, well, I guess white would be alright, or you could go with a "stock" grey rim colour...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:23 pm

Cool looking ute mate :)

I'd definitely go with white.. white on white looks good but then again, so does black on white.

The knocking could be in the rear CV shafts??? just get the ute on a hoist and have a good look over it.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pogman

Post by Pogman » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:05 pm

Interesting about the struts. I pulled them out and look whats on the top. Image
What is it??? Botch job... After cutting it off It doesnt look good inside. I think I'm going to replace the whole assembly though the spring seems ok. Does anyone have any second hand struts they want to give away?

The rear cvs are ok definitely coming from the front.

Also managed to score a 2' zorst from an old wrecked brumb for free! Awesome. Cant wait to fit it tonight and be "that guy" who annoys the street in the morning on the way to work. :D
Also want to think about a weber on top. I have a conversion plate but no 32/36. What does everyone think is a reasonable price for one?

The rims are currently a "stock" greyish blue colour with red nuts and its pretty sweet but pogmans girl always says I have no taste so thinking a safe white on white cant go wrong

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:46 pm

Yep - definitely stuffed, as the rubber mount is there for a reason !

Cheers, Bantum ...

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:01 pm

Yeah, you'll need a new strut top, or a complete unit will be easier to replace.

Does the wreckers that you got the exhaust from have any struts?

There are some webers on ebay that usually go from $50 upwards, most of the cheaper ones will require a rebuild, so sometimes it's better just to buy new.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:26 pm

G'day Pogman ;)

Yeah I'd go white for the wheels, give it a clean tidy look :cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Pogman

Post by Pogman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:30 am

Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it.

No the wreckers don't have them unfortunately.

In the meantime going to put in new rubber seals for the windscreen and finish off the new wheels. Will post a pic for review when finished

Pogman

Post by Pogman » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:50 pm

Alrighty I've hit a wall.

There is a very Prominate cv style knock still coming from the front right. Happens only under load, sometimes straight ahead but always turning. It's quite loud. I've changed the struts, bearings, drive shafts and brakes. I just can't figure it out. All I can think is the cv bloke who built them up made a mistake somewhere as he used new parts when he made them up.

Anybody had this problem? It's driving me nuts and wrecking the brumby experience...

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:19 am

I've had a few new CV shafts make noises after a short period of time. I now only use reconditioned genuine shafts. My CV man tells me that there is a lot of crappy cheap Chinese ones out there.

I'd also recommend you replace the taper washer that goes under the nut and flat washer on the outer cv joint.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pogman

Post by Pogman » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:12 pm

Thanks for the reply there. Ended up finding the problem and yeh it was the cv. Specifically not having a circlip thanks to useless assembly. But all solved now and its running great. In the interm I replaced the front strut assembly, put new rims and tyres on her, improved the radiator set up, stripped the interior and gave it all a thorough clean and fixed all the squeaks and rattes (took forever) put it back together (4 screws left over haha) and probably some other things....

What does everyone think of mat white. I like it

Also replaced the front windscreen rubber too but I cant make the chrome strips fit back in.
Going stop working on it for a while and just enjoy I think.

Though It could use more power hmmm

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:34 pm

Yes - look good ... :)

Tip : The manual says to put the trim bits in first before placing the windshield in ...

Give it a good tune up - should get a bit more power out of it ... ;)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:54 pm

Looking awesome! What a great little ute!!! :D
ImageImageImage
2012 Subaru Forester - 2.0D Premium ~ 2002 Subaru Forester - Limited (Lifted)

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:56 pm

Pogman wrote:Thanks for the reply there. Ended up finding the problem and yeh it was the cv. Specifically not having a circlip thanks to useless assembly. But all solved now and its running great. In the interm I replaced the front strut assembly, put new rims and tyres on her, improved the radiator set up, stripped the interior and gave it all a thorough clean and fixed all the squeaks and rattes (took forever) put it back together (4 screws left over haha) and probably some other things....
Glad you got it sorted and it was probably those screws making all the rattle and squeaks :p
Pogman wrote:What does everyone think of mat white. I like it

Me too... looks great :)
Pogman wrote:Also replaced the front windscreen rubber too but I cant make the chrome strips fit back in.
Going stop working on it for a while and just enjoy I think.
Definitely sit back and enjoy it for a while... it's the holiday season and all.

As for the chrome strip, like Bantum has mentioned, it must go into the rubber before fitting the screen back into the frame.
Pogman wrote:Though It could use more power hmmm
Time to fit that weber :p

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pogman

Post by Pogman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:40 pm

wellllll i know i said 'sit back and enjoy it' but what I really meant was 'get back in the garage and work on it' (it is a hobby) so, got a new exhaust sourced, it's in the garage and cleaned up ready for it's installation (I'm told it's not toooo loud thankfully just the suby rumble) and purchased a Weber off ebay. Picked it up today and it looks good, though I must admit all this is a big learning curve so wouldn't really know what a crap weber looks like.

After the excessive beverages over the next few days wear off I'll look in to what to do for the air box, installation and give it a proper tune to see if I can get it going faster than those pesky toyota starlets that keep pulling away off the lights.

Also getting time for brumb to get back into its natural habitat off the road for a run.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:27 pm

LOL.. so much for relaxing :D

As for the air cleaner, just throw the RAM Air one on for now and then build the modified one later.. as this may require more liquid refreshments :p

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “New Members & Introductions”