Hello from the Gold Coast!

"Read before registering / posting - New Members"
Jiyujin

Hello from the Gold Coast!

Post by Jiyujin » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:40 am

Hey all,

I just joined as I'm thinking of buying a Subaru Liberty wagon...still unsure which model to get. I've been living overseas for the last 20 years and have no idea about cars in Oz. I owned a Mitsubishi Legnum wagon while living in Japan so am looking for a wagon and was told Subarus are very popular here.

I was told by a neighbour that Carsales is a popular site to look for cars and have found a few around my price range of up to $15,000. I would like to get one that isn't too old. I'm looking at 2.5i Premium and the GT Premium as I would like to stay with a 4 rather than a 6.

What should I look for when buying one of the above?

Any help is greatly appreciated!:)
Jiyujin

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:49 pm

Hi and Welcome to AUSubaru :)

It will depend on who much of your budget you're willing to work with. I would look at Gumtree but certainly use Carsales as a guide to prices. I'd look at cars around the $17,000 mark and work your way down.

If I was in Japan for that long, I would have brought your car across or even found a really smick Legacy
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Jiyujin

Post by Jiyujin » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:32 am

RSR 555 wrote:Hi and Welcome to AUSubaru :)

It will depend on who much of your budget you're willing to work with. I would look at Gumtree but certainly use Carsales as a guide to prices. I'd look at cars around the $17,000 mark and work your way down.

If I was in Japan for that long, I would have brought your car across or even found a really smick Legacy
Hello RSR,

Thank you for your reply. My budget is up to $15,000 and have found a few in Brisbane under my budget. There is a 2007 Liberty Sports wagon with 140,000 kms for under $14,000 and 2004 GT Premium with 140,000 kms for under $13,000, but not sure about issues or condition as I have not seen them yet.

My Legnum was a 1999 model and the cost of shipping it over with the ADR compliance made it unpractical, and was also told that insurance on imported cars was quite high here so decided to give it away as there is no market in Japan for a car that old.

Cheers,
Jiyujin

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:11 pm

Welcome to the forum :)
ImageImageImage
2012 Subaru Forester - 2.0D Premium ~ 2002 Subaru Forester - Limited (Lifted)

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Jiyujin wrote:Thank you for your reply. My budget is up to $15,000 and have found a few in Brisbane under my budget. There is a 2007 Liberty Sports wagon with 140,000 kms for under $14,000 and 2004 GT Premium with 140,000 kms for under $13,000, but not sure about issues or condition as I have not seen them yet.
No worries and yeah, I saw your budget was $15k but if you look at cars around $17k, you might find some that are willing to sell at the $15k mark (no promises though) and this will allow you to see some newer models with less kms on the clock. Never buy the car unseen unless you know all the stuff about it and you trust the seller. Also check the service history and whether or not the car has been in any accidents.
Jiyujin wrote:My Legnum was a 1999 model and the cost of shipping it over with the ADR compliance made it unpractical, and was also told that insurance on imported cars was quite high here so decided to give it away as there is no market in Japan for a car that old.
Ok this makes sense then, especially because of it's brand.. probably wouldn't have made the journey across. Insurance is a big killer on imported cars but usually the Aussie cars are a lot lower spec than the Jap ones, so it's a trade off (IMO) but if it was a 22B then it's a different story :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jiyujin

Post by Jiyujin » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:05 pm

Hi RSR,

I found a few and was wondering what your opinion was on these. If I went with the GT, it will allow me to spend a little on it. The timing belt was replaced and service is up-to- date. The 2008 Subaru Liberty 4GEN MY08 Sports Automatic All Wheel Drive is from a dealer and I believe they give a warranty but need to check.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/dea ... rtical=car

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/dea ... rtical=car

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/pri ... rtical=car

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/pri ... rtical=car

Thanks again,
Jiyujin

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:17 pm

Each one of these cars is completely different. One has 2.5 Auto, another has 2.0 Auto, another 2.5 Man and the last is 2.0T Auto.

It really depends on whether or not you want an Auto or Manual, Turbo or Non Turbo. Out of all these cars, I personally like the 2.5 Manual with 79,000 kms on it but it's a personal choise and I love that colour.

If you want a turbo one, then I'd search just turbo models and pick if you want auto or manual.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jiyujin

Post by Jiyujin » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:34 am

Hi RSR,

Yes, I put the different models to find out which would be the best choice. I've read that the 2.0 seems to be a little under powered. I also found that the pre 2010 2.5 have had head gasket issues. I've not found any issues 2.0T, but I'm sure there are ....

I don't mind whether it's an Auto or Manual. I like the gray one too, but it's slightly over priced.

Will continue looking.

Cheers,
Jiyujin

RSR 555 wrote:Each one of these cars is completely different. One has 2.5 Auto, another has 2.0 Auto, another 2.5 Man and the last is 2.0T Auto.

It really depends on whether or not you want an Auto or Manual, Turbo or Non Turbo. Out of all these cars, I personally like the 2.5 Manual with 79,000 kms on it but it's a personal choise and I love that colour.

If you want a turbo one, then I'd search just turbo models and pick if you want auto or manual.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:59 am

Yeah lots of choices. You're correct in saying the 2.5 litre has issue with head gaskets but the newer (like the cars you are looking at) aren't as bad as the early models. Main thing is to make sure they have been serviced correctly and have used the highest quality coolant and oil.

The non turbo 2.0 isn't as pokey as the 2.5 (as you'd expect) but the 2.0 still has enough power to keep up with todays traffic. The 2.0T is the best for power output and doesn't usually have the head gasket issues unless someone plays with the boost too much. The turbo version is usually a little more to service as service parts are harder to get to and use higher grade oils.

I think you'll be able to wheel and deal with the salesman on the grey car ;) Just set a price you're willing to pay (a realistic price) and stick to that price. General rule with car yards is there's a 4k markup on the car but not all the time, so if you work around the 2k mark, you should be able to do a deal.

Hope that helps you some what?

Cheers,
Paul

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jiyujin

Post by Jiyujin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:27 pm

Hi RSR,

Appreciate the information on those models. The grey one was a private sale, but did find another at a dealer. The kms seem reasonable and the timing belt was replaced as well. I'm down to 2 models, the 2.5i or the 2.0 GT, a hard choice as both are Premium models too, grey or black.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/dea ... D-14353396

Thanks again,
Jiyujin

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:32 pm

if your after a Gen IV,

this would be a good start. they are mostly Gen 4/5 orientated http://forum.liberty.asn.au/

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:15 pm

Hi Jiyujin,

The colour is really a personal choice but from what I've found is black cars look Friggin Awesome !! but they have 2 down sides.. they only look good after they've been washed and they also get very hot in the Aussie sun.

I really like this last one and the price is perfect :)

Cheers,
Paul

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jiyujin

Post by Jiyujin » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:43 am

Green_eyed_liberty wrote:if your after a Gen IV,

this would be a good start. they are mostly Gen 4/5 orientated http://forum.liberty.asn.au/
Thanks for the link! I didn't know that there was another Subaru forum.:)

Jiyujin

Post by Jiyujin » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:49 am

Hey Paul,

Yes, I agree. I had a black Legnum in Japan and it was fine with the distinct seasons and also had a garage to keep it in. However, I'm in Queensland now and it's sunny and hot most seasons.

Will be looking at both models and colors in the next few days and hopefully will decide which one to purchase. Looking at the running cost, fuel, insurance and maintenance, the 2.5i would be cheaper to run, a later model is another plus. A hard decision to make....

Do you think the dealer will drop the price?

If I decide to buy one of these, can I get it on the day should I pay cash or does it take a few days to process the paperwork? I have not bought a car in more than 25 years and am pretty sure the process has changed.

Thanks again,
Jiyujin
RSR 555 wrote:Hi Jiyujin,

The colour is really a personal choice but from what I've found is black cars look Friggin Awesome !! but they have 2 down sides.. they only look good after they've been washed and they also get very hot in the Aussie sun.

I really like this last one and the price is perfect :)

Cheers,
Paul

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:21 am

Hi Jiyujin,
Jiyujin wrote:Do you think the dealer will drop the price?
Yes mate. They always have a profit margin in their sales, so depends on how long they have had the car on their lot, as to how much they really need to sell the car. Car yards make money from turnover, so the longer the car sits there, the more it costs them. As I mentioned before, there is usually around $4k mark up, so if you go in with a serious offer (using cash always helps) then you should aim for around the $2k off mark. Make sure whatever price you choose, you stick to, or they will know you're willing to put your price up. I know it could be hard for someone but be strong and just state your price and tell him you have others to look at and you'll walk away and look at them if they don't want your offer.
Jiyujin wrote:If I decide to buy one of these, can I get it on the day should I pay cash or does it take a few days to process the paperwork? I have not bought a car in more than 25 years and am pretty sure the process has changed.
If you are paying cash, you should be able to drive away with the car and the paperwork there and then. I would recommend that if you buy the car (or any car for this matter), then make sure you get a cover note from your insurance place before you take the car anywhere. I'd also go and pay for the vehicle transfer at the licence centre asap.

Hope this helps and good luck with the car purchase.

Cheers,
Paul

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jiyujin

Post by Jiyujin » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:24 am

Hey there Paul,

I wanted to say 'thank you' for your advice and insight on Car dealers. I bought the Diamond Grey wagon and am very happy with it. :) I especially like the sunroof, and with the leather interior that comes with the Premium pack, an added bonus. The 2.5i engine is quite powerful for its size, but we'll see how it goes on fuel. I may need to have it tuned later...
Cheers,
Jiyujin

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:15 am

Jiyujin wrote:Hey there Paul,

I wanted to say 'thank you' for your advice and insight on Car dealers. I bought the Diamond Grey wagon and am very happy with it. :) I especially like the sunroof, and with the leather interior that comes with the Premium pack, an added bonus. The 2.5i engine is quite powerful for its size, but we'll see how it goes on fuel. I may need to have it tuned later...
Cheers,
Jiyujin
Hi Jiyujin,

That is great news and glad to help mate. You have yourself one fantastic looking car and one that should hold it's value better than any other car on the Australian market.

The 2.5 isn't the most fuel efficient car on the market but this is mainly due to the safety side of the AWD system. It takes more effort to drive 4 wheels than just 2 but this makes the car must safer in the wet or slippery conditions.

One thing to make sure you have it serviced by someone that knows the Subaru's. Due to the AWD system, make sure the tyres are rotated at every service and if you ever need to replace tyres, make sure you replace all 4 and make sure they are all the same size and brand.

Enjoy your new car and we need to see lots of pictures, as we love pictures :D

Cheers,
Paul

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “New Members & Introductions”