Hi from ACT

"Read before registering / posting - New Members"
NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:53 am

Looks very nice, hope once you do all the hoses, fuel lines, filters, etc, you have no probs firing it up... ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

tex

Post by tex » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:21 pm

I haven't done that much work on the EA82 although I have dabbled a little. and done enough on the old EA81's in saying that i'm in the process of rebuilding one now. But when i'm home I am in canberra so if you get stuck look me up and i'll see if i can't call around.
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

PhilsWagon

Post by PhilsWagon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:15 am

Thanks NachaLuva!

PhilsWagon

Post by PhilsWagon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:19 am

Thanks tex. I appreciate the offer. I'll let you know if I get stuck.

The cam belts were pretty loose so I tightened them up. I've replaced the split hoses and just need ti pick up a new bearing for the idler pulley.

I'm going to pull the oil pump one day this week and make sure it's working properly but i'm pretty busy with work so i'll see how I go.

Cheers

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:09 am

you will need some fine skills to replace that idler bearing and keep it all running true...I tried once, stuffed up once, gave up......

PhilsWagon

Post by PhilsWagon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:24 pm

It wasn't to bad, just need a couple of correct sized sockets a hammer and patience, you need to do lots of small taps with the hammer on the end of the socket making sure it's going in true...but I did stuff one up, lucky they're only $3.50...

PhilsWagon

Post by PhilsWagon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:57 pm

So after cleaning all the sludge off the cam belt covers you can see how loose the belts were...

[ATTACH]4239[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4240[/ATTACH]
Attachments
photo (1).jpg
photo (1).jpg (102.09 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
image (3).jpg
image (3).jpg (17.29 KiB) Viewed 2869 times

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:59 pm

Love the surgical gloves :) so often forget to put mine on, takes grotty hands to remember :p

PhilsWagon

Post by PhilsWagon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:19 pm

Hahaha. Yeah trying to get the black sludge out from under my finger nails sucks so I started wearing them whenever I work on a dirty motor.

PhilsWagon

Post by PhilsWagon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:25 pm

So i've been quite for a while (stupid work always gets in the way) so i thought i'd post an update...

I pulled the oil pump off and found the mickey mouse gasket had split and was starting to be sucked through so i replaced it, changed the timing belts, idler pulley and tension pulleys, put her all back together and started her up. She fired up straight away but still has the dreaded "tick of death" i've read so much about.

So, to fix or not to fix...Lifters? Oil pump?

If anyone has some advise or experience they want to share about the best way to go about curing the "tick of death" i'd appreciate it.

Cheers

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:06 pm

On the bottom of the oil pump is (from memory) a 14mm bolt, remove this and place a 3mm spacer behind the spring - there will be a little ball that falls out after the spring when you remove the bolt.

If this doesn't sort it out there's one other trick I know before actually replacing lifters: remove cam covers (bitch job in engine bay!) then remove the bolt that feeds the oil over the cam lobes. In here there should be another spring and ball setup. I'd look into replacing the spring or at the very least cleaning this area out of any gunk.

FROG *should* be able to help out with that spring. You could always try out another spacer but I've not done that in this area, the one in the oil pressure relief valve in the oil pump did the trick for me.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

PhilsWagon

Post by PhilsWagon » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:06 pm

Cheers Bennie! I'll let you know how it goes...

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:33 pm

WOW.. how did I miss this thread :( Hi and Welcome :cool:

Nice wagon Phil and if she's EFI then she should be the 89 model (that was the only release of the EFI in AUS) but I must say she looks in fantastic nic.

For the ticking problem, I would have stripped the Oil Pump down and replaced all the seals and gaskets. There is the front main spindle shaft seal, one round o'ring gasket and one mickey mouse o'ring gasket. I would have also checked the spindle shaft for wear, these have a tendency to allow air to be drawn in and this air makes it way to the lash adjusters (Lifters) and causes them to make a hell of a racket. If the noise is there for too long, you can damage them and then they'll need replacing.

Before sripping anything down, just run a bottle of lifter free through the engine.. 9 times out of 10 this will clean them out and the noise should disappear. Sometimes it takes some fresh oil and a run along the highway also.. just to bleed out any excess air that maybe trapped afer pulling bits apart.

The EA82 EFI is the only EA82 to have in my books, they are great when they are new.. after 300,000kms they tend to be noisey and tired.

Would love to see more pics of your car and keep up the good work :)

Cheers,
Paul
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:51 pm

About a month ago auto one in Goldsmith St Goulburn could get new HVLA's in for about 14 bucks each - need 8 and a few hours .......

PhilsWagon

Post by PhilsWagon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:01 am

Thanks Paul,

I've tried a lifter cleaner but it's still the same and I checked the other seal when I had the pump off and it looked ok, but it has been sitting for about 4 years so who knows :-? I'll try the spacer first because it will be the easiest to do and go from there.

The compliance plate is stamped 2/90 so i'm assuming it is an 89 build but not complianced until 90.

Anyway here are some more pics for you...
Attachments
image(5).jpg
image(5).jpg (15.26 KiB) Viewed 2835 times
image(4).jpg
image(4).jpg (24.75 KiB) Viewed 2834 times
image(3).jpg
image(3).jpg (13.75 KiB) Viewed 2835 times
image(2).jpg
image(2).jpg (22.87 KiB) Viewed 2835 times
image(1).jpg
image(1).jpg (24.37 KiB) Viewed 2835 times

PhilsWagon

Post by PhilsWagon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:04 am

And some more...
Attachments
image(9).jpg
image(9).jpg (15.56 KiB) Viewed 2772 times
image(8).jpg
image(8).jpg (23.6 KiB) Viewed 2772 times
image(7).jpg
image(7).jpg (23.96 KiB) Viewed 2772 times
image(6).jpg
image(6).jpg (10.58 KiB) Viewed 2773 times

PhilsWagon

Post by PhilsWagon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:07 am

Thanks steptoe,

I saw some on ebay for $10 each + postage so probably the same price with that.

There are a couple of good Subaru parts dealers in Canberra so i'll check them out too if I need to go down that path...

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:12 am

PhilsWagon wrote:I've tried a lifter cleaner but it's still the same and I checked the other seal when I had the pump off and it looked ok, but it has been sitting for about 4 years so who knows :-? I'll try the spacer first because it will be the easiest to do and go from there.
When you say it looked ok, are you saying it was still soft and had a square edge on the running face, as I've had ones look good but after changing them the noise goes away. If you've got good oil and pressure, take it for a good run on the highway and I'm confident the noise will clear up.
PhilsWagon wrote:The compliance plate is stamped 2/90 so i'm assuming it is an 89 build but not complianced until 90.
Yeah.. Built date will be 89 and inside the rear of the LHF door. Best model released in Aus. The only other EFI L.Series model released in Aus was the early 85-86 RX Turbo sedans and the Vortex coupes.
PhilsWagon wrote:Anyway here are some more pics for you...
Thanks for the pics.. it really looks good all over. I did notice your dash doesn't have all the gauges mine has ?? Wonder if it's been changed?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PhilsWagon

Post by PhilsWagon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:41 am

Yeah when I checked it was still soft and looked ok.

Out of curiosity, what gauges do you have that I don't?

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:53 am

I'm not at home right now to be 100% sure but I think I have Oil Pressure and Volts. One above the Fuel and the other above the Temp.

I'll try and find a pic on the web

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “New Members & Introductions”