New member - with a 91 AWD Liberty trans that bangs into second gear

"Read before registering / posting - New Members"
Libertarian76

New member - with a 91 AWD Liberty trans that bangs into second gear

Post by Libertarian76 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:02 am

Hi all, I am on my second Subaru and my first fuel injected car out of 13 vehicles. First was an 85 L series touring wagon that took me 20'000kms around Australia in 4 months - a bullet proof truck of a machine that has hooked me on Suby's... 2nd only to LC Torana's - sorry guys ;)

Anyway - not sure if I should post this here, but will and see what happens.

I now have 11/91 AWD Liberty wagon, 225'000km ej22: auto trans bangs into 2nd gear. More violently at slow speeds. It drives great in general and the more you give it the smoother the transition seems to be. Research might suggest some kind of solenoid dropping resistance... does anybody have any experience with this problem?

Cheers, Nick

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:08 am

My 99 Outback does the same - not sure what is causing it but it is showing a few error codes from the TCU. I haven't got around to fixing those codes yet (o2 sensor, speed sensor and MAP sensor) but when I disconnected the MAP sensor it changed gear so smoothly and kicked down immediately when you accelarated - it was awesome :)
But it also had a huge flatspot when you went to take off so I had to reconnect it.
I swapped it with another MAP sensor but it still banged into 2nd. Will check the speed sensors eventually but thats a pr!ck of a job to get to as you have to remove the exhaust and its still a PITA to get to.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:02 pm

Libertarian76 wrote:First was an 85 L series touring wagon that took me 20'000kms around Australia in 4 months - a bullet proof truck of a machine that has hooked me on Suby's... 2nd only to LC Torana's - sorry guys ;)
No need to be sorry Nick! We've all (well, some of us!) have other interests in classics - I started out in an LC torana and have a real soft spot for them, I've actually got one in the shed waiting for a resto - and I'm the second owner :twisted:

Welcome to the forum, I bet you'll be lifted before too long ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:14 pm

Welcome to the forum :) I had a 1976 LX Torana too! Toranas are great :D
ImageImageImage
2012 Subaru Forester - 2.0D Premium ~ 2002 Subaru Forester - Limited (Lifted)

Return to “New Members & Introductions”