Hey from the Illawarra

"Read before registering / posting - New Members"
nashubar

Hey from the Illawarra

Post by nashubar » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:31 am

Hey all,

im new and by gosh i love my subaru!

Ive had my L series for a long time 4 years roughly.
have not modified in any major way other than central locking and stereo.
ive been recently looking into doing some more serious mods! and so far from what i have read on this forum its a great place to start!

happy subaru to everyone!

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:09 am

Welcome aboard,
This is a great forum with heaps of friendly & helpful people. If you can't find the info you need about your l series here then it's not available.

Cheers Jake

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:56 am

Welcome - there is heaps of information on here of what you can do with yours! What is your plans for it?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

nashubar

Post by nashubar » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:40 pm

thanks for the warm welcome guys!

well originally i was going to do an ej22 conversion but i have decided against it for now,im going to buy another ea82 engine and rebuild it 360k+ with all the leaks!.and while im there replace the clutch.
so other than that I'm planning to fit a lift kit and hopefully some bigger wheels and tyres. i would like to do some more bush bashing!

regarding the lift im having trouble finding the right way to go about it and the right place to source the parts im hearing of places that advertise and no longer supply and prices for lift kits from 350 to above 1000! i might do some more research and maybe send a few emails and see how i go !

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:01 pm

Hi and Welcome Nashubar :cool:

IMO, I wouldn't worry about modding the EA82 engine, as they are proned to more hassles than when they are stock.

Have you given any thoughts to an EJ22 with a carby and dissy? Check out Julian's (aka TONNGA) thread and his trials with PJ.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

nashubar

Post by nashubar » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:24 pm

cheers RSR 555 will have a look see.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:16 pm

RSR 555 wrote: IMO, I wouldn't worry about modding the EA82 engine, as they are proned to more hassles than when they are stock.

A freshen up of the EA82 is a performance mod :)

I am no longer surprised just how far people push the service components of their cars. A simple tune up of new plugs , leads, cap, rotor button, fuel and air filter (run a fuel cleaner for the tank before) and maybe a carby overhaul and correct timing - should do wonders for an old EA82.
Some nulon engine stop leak and oil and filter change 10W40 Diesel spec for its better detergent package to clean things like hydraulic valve lash adjusters and you are on yer way, replace belts for water pump and alternator and keep tyres inflated correctly :)

New timing belts and tensioners can really help bring the cam timing back to spec with tight as a drum newies , as well

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:16 pm

steptoe wrote:A freshen up of the EA82 is a performance mod :)

I am no longer surprised just how far people push the service components of their cars. A simple tune up of new plugs , leads, cap, rotor button, fuel and air filter (run a fuel cleaner for the tank before) and maybe a carby overhaul and correct timing - should do wonders for an old EA82.
The BEST wonder I've found for an old EA82 is an EJ22! No joke! Any EJ from the EJ20 is a huge improvement on the EA82. No lifter tick, you can get rid of the oil leaks and they stay gone for some time!

It's a challenge to do it on your own, but it's WELL worth the effort! Just ask anyone else that has done it. The two real tricks to this is 1) getting the wiring right from the start and 2) getting an EJ that's still got some life in it - shop around, that's what I did and scored a relatively low km '22 :twisted:

Love it, and highly recommend it if you're up for the work - do your research!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:32 pm

2nd lift kits are readily available on here or eBay

Expect to pay ~$200-400 (sometimes even with a free L Series!)

Just make sure they complete - the steering extension is often missing and the hardest part part to source.
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:25 am

steptoe wrote:A freshen up of the EA82 is a performance mod :)
You can polish a turd but you still end up with a piece of ...

And plus 1 for what Sven '2' said :cool: Even keep an eye out on here for a cheap secondhand kit, they come up from time to time.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

GunFactory

Post by GunFactory » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:47 am

Hi there. If you have had the car for four years then you have probably allready visited the dapto pick a part wrecking yard. Multiple L series there - I'm sure you can find some goodies and spares etc... Lots of fun.

nashubar

Post by nashubar » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks for all your help guys! Haven't been to dapto pick a part yet but I'll give it a look! Thanks:-)

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:33 pm

simplest way to get a good quality lift kit is contact Jeff at C R O S S B R E D P E R F O R M A N C E . Google it an it will come up. Price is around $610 for total lift kit.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “New Members & Introductions”