trip around austrilia?

"Read before registering / posting - New Members"
yellowsubie

trip around austrilia?

Post by yellowsubie » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:43 pm

im in my last year of school and planning a trip around aust at the end of the year in my subaru sherpa , yes i no it may be silly but i wanna see how it goes , what will i need to do to the sherpa to get it ready before the trip? and what will i neeed to do while on the trip , im going to be travling around 25000ks

cheers benny

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:47 pm

What is your budget? And what is the overall condition of the car to begin with?

If you want to ensure something isn't going to fail, replace it new or have it fully rebuilt. A car is made up of thousands of parts, many of them crucial to it moving under its own steam. Ie, the sky is the limit...

You could rebuild the whole engine, get a new radiator, recondition the gearbox, replace tyres, re-new all steering components, renew all brake components, replace all bushes etc etc etc

Or you could get the bearings inspected (replaced if necessary), change the oil and throw on a new filter, flush the radiator and "see how it goes". :)
Thumbs up for giving it a go in a Sherpa! That's Awesome!

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:55 pm

get the car in reasonable condtition, get yourself RACQ Ultra (or your states equivalent) and hit the road.

Make sure you have plenty of $$ in the bank in case you need to fund repairs.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

GOD

Post by GOD » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:57 pm

Make sure the cooling system, wheel bearings, driveshafts and belts are in tip-top shape. Carry two spare tyres, or at least a plug kit, because you've got buckleys of getting replacement tyres anywhere outside capital cities.

How mechanically adept are you? You can count on having some sort of breakdown or accident damage - will you be able to fix it on the side of the road?

How much fuel range do you have in a Sherpa? How many jerries can you carry? Fuel stops can be 3-400km apart, and not all always have petrol available.

How much will the car weigh once you load it up with fuel, spares, tools, food, water, camping gear? Will it still move with that weight in it? What about stop and turn and dodge road hazards?

Perhaps plan a shorter trip around your corner of the country, then see how much you still like the Sherpa.

Dane.

and what VV said - make sure you've got cash.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

brendo

Post by brendo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:57 pm

hey mate,
not sure if this helps but I have gone from NSW over to the West Oz and back in a 1990 L series. got a mechanically minded mate to check the car out first and basically did an oil change! wat the others have said above says it all, bearings, cooling systems ect...cos at the end of the day a broken down car half way along the nullabor costs an arm and leg! anyway we had problems in this dept. with the pajero we also brought along.. however the suby with jst over 10,500km in a month managed to cost me nothing but petrol so go for it and know the suby will always be reliable!!

Return to “New Members & Introductions”