New member looking for help

"Read before registering / posting - New Members"
sash999

New member looking for help

Post by sash999 » Wed May 25, 2022 8:46 pm

Hi guys and girls,

Am looking to buy my frist WRX and looking for recomendations. I saw in a few places the 2006 WRX seems quite solid and also the 2017 on wards VA model.

Could someone please point me in the right direction

Thanks

Bantum
General Member

Re: WRX purchase ...

Post by Bantum » Fri May 27, 2022 1:35 am

Hi & Welcome ...

A few pointers :
Set a budget to work to, then do some checking out of the adds on Gumtree / FB market place etc. to gauge prices & start the hunt.
Lower mileage vehicles will generally bring higher prices. Once you've found your desired one, ( be prepared as it can take a while to find it ) you'll need to get it checked out. Depending on your skill level in mechanical areas, get a qualified person to asses your intended purchase. Would also recommend joining a more relevant forum that deals with that specific model.

Happy hunting ... :)

Cheers, Bantum ...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: New member looking for help

Post by El_Freddo » Fri May 27, 2022 10:31 pm

Further to Bantum’s reply above - which one do you prefer between the two models you mentioned? If one is styled better in your eyes than the other, that’s the one I would be chasing.

The earlier models will typically have more k’s due to their age, but this isn’t always true. And you will always find low km examples, you just have to be patient and have a fatter wallet to secure the purchase if that’s what you want.

I don’t know which model is more solid of the two. The later model might only have one gearbox option (that could be the STi model, I’m unsure. Also expect to pay more again for the STi spec WRXs).

I’d recommend taking several cars for a test drive from a second hand dealer to get a feel for each of the models, draw up a pros and cons if that’s your thing then go from there.

Walk away from any vehicle that has a rattle or knock on start up immediately before oil pressure builds up properly. This can indicate a pending issue with the bottom end of the engine - the crank and big end bearings on the connector (con)rods. This will cost you north of 5G for a replacement engine before labour to fit it.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri May 27, 2022 10:31 pm

Further to Bantum’s reply above - which one do you prefer between the two models you mentioned? If one is styled better in your eyes than the other, that’s the one I would be chasing.

The earlier models will typically have more k’s due to their age, but this isn’t always true. And you will always find low km examples, you just have to be patient and have a fatter wallet to secure the purchase if that’s what you want.

I don’t know which model is more solid of the two. The later model might only have one gearbox option (that could be the STi model, I’m unsure. Also expect to pay more again for the STi spec WRXs).

I’d recommend taking several cars for a test drive from a second hand dealer to get a feel for each of the models, draw up a pros and cons if that’s your thing then go from there.

Walk away from any vehicle that has a rattle or knock on start up immediately before oil pressure builds up properly. This can indicate a pending issue with the bottom end of the engine - the crank and big end bearings on the connector (con)rods. This will cost you north of 5G for a replacement engine before labour to fit it.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

sash999

Post by sash999 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:05 pm

Thanks for the advise guys, i like the g3 better and the budget is about 30k. Id go for a manual as well. Its funny I cant seem to find any active sites for a WRX. I was expecting heaps

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:22 pm

sash999 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:05 pm
Thanks for the advise guys, i like the g3 better and the budget is about 30k. Id go for a manual as well. Its funny I cant seem to find any active sites for a WRX. I was expecting heaps
I think a lot of Forums may have all moved over to Facebook, why I don't know.
IMO you are able to glean more information from a Forum than FB.

Return to “New Members & Introductions”