My Carputer

Get wild & funky with your Mobile disco ...
smoov

My Carputer

Post by smoov » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:56 pm

Just beginning to collect the basics for my install. I've been meaning to do something like this for a long, long time, and couldn't decide how to do it.

After a lot of thinking, and inspiration, I have decided to go ahead with an old laptop I have (Dell Inspiron 4100) and use that. I have very little soldering / electronics skills, so building a system like vincentvega has in his car, is pretty much too far from my humble capabilities. :lol:

This pretty much has to be bolt-on/clip-on/screw-on/silastic-on. :wink:

After some research and discussions with friends, I discovered one of my mates has a spare, brand-new docking station model PDX C/Dock II at his work, and was willing to swap it for a bottle of Jim Beam. SOLD!
(same model for sale on ebay USA.. good demonstration of extended capabilities of the docking station.)

After the quick transaction, I thought I was well into the beginnings of my carputer. Until I hit a pothole -

I discovered the dock is for the wrong model of laptop.
After some quick searching, I found an equivalent model laptop for rather cheap on ebay... waiting now till the auction ends. *fingers crossed*

The good news is that my now 'parts' laptop (complete, albeit burnt out LCD/inverter) is 100% compatible with the 'other' model laptop, and the only differences are the chassis' themselves.

I just wanted to throw a couple of questions into the air -

Dane: Which model of touchscreen LCD can you reccomend? An indash retractable display isnt compulsory anymore... i would be happy with an ordinary mounted one. which model would you reccomend? I tried logging in onto the mp3car forums, to no avail - they appeared to be shut down or something.

cheers

alex
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:20 am

good to see you have made a start mate.

LCD: you have a few options. I would recommend a 7" widescreen as they are easy to fit but still have enough resolution to be useful. Your choices are:

Xenarc - best quality but have to source form the USA and are expensive

Lilliput - supposedly not as reliable as the xenarc, but i have had no issues either has my mate who has owned the original revision 7" for 2 years. Readily available cheap off ebay (delivered from hong kong)

super / jaycar brand - jaycar are now stocking a 7" touchscreen. They cost more than buying off ebay but you get a local warranty should you have any issues. These units supposedly use the same LCD panel as the xenarcs

Have a look around on ebay. Be sure to buy a VGA screen, not sut one that takes composite (AV) input

I bought a 2005 model (629GL) lilliput 7" for $350 delivered from HK. Before you buy anything run it past me i will check it out for you.

smoov

Post by smoov » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:28 am

cheers dane 8)
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

Ben

Re: My Carputer

Post by Ben » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:39 am

smoov wrote: I discovered the dock is for the wrong model of laptop.
After some quick searching, I found an equivalent model laptop for rather cheap on ebay... waiting now till the auction ends. *fingers crossed*
I just outbid you on it - cos thats what you always do to me whenever I bid on good stuff :D

Please watch before posting!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

smoov

Post by smoov » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:22 am

awww. :oops:

no need to get cut or anything :?
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

Return to “Sound / Entertainment Systems”