Bantum's Infotainment System

Collection of automotive design / construct projects by Bantum ...
zookcruzr

Post by zookcruzr » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:10 pm

Any pics of the final door trims?
Where did ya get your elec window winders? From what model?
Never use big words where diminutive ones would suffice.

Bantum
General Member

Door Skins ...

Post by Bantum » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:46 am

Hi Zook,

Sorry no - haven't got that far yet ... :(

But do have this which I was working towards :

As for the Electrics - got them from a wreckers & think it was a '83 Touring wagon ... ;)

( scored an electronic dash also, but not sure it works yet - prefer analogue )

Cheers, Bantum ...

zookcruzr

Post by zookcruzr » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:29 pm

cheers Bantum
Never use big words where diminutive ones would suffice.

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Fri May 15, 2015 6:30 pm

any update Bantum ?

Bantum
General Member

Slow Progress ...

Post by Bantum » Fri May 15, 2015 8:42 pm

Sorry no - Stuff all has happened on this since moving to Brisbane & as with other things in life, I have put this project on hold indefinitely. Hope to get back to it one day ... :p

Ciao, Bantum ...

Bantum
General Member

Update ...

Post by Bantum » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:47 am

Just a small update, I have now got a few more bits together ready to start working on this again - Will post some images up later when I have downloaded them.

P.S. - I've also been doing some more research on OBD I/II & how to link the monitoring system into the Screen devices using one of the afore mentioned methods earlier in this thread. I'm also looking to throw in some other useful bits like satellite navigation & inclinometers ... :)

More info here : http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin ... ndex2.html

( Note : It would only be monitoring the EA81 initially, so not a full electronic conversion yet - maybe later when I have time / money for it )

So my thoughts were to get an older ECU ( that still works ), a PDA of some sort, head unit for entertainment + a mobile phone & get them all talking to each other with the PDA as main interface ... :twisted:

Now I'm wondering what others have done / recommend for this ?

Cheers, Bantum ...

Bantum
General Member

Plugins ...

Post by Bantum » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:11 am

Bit more digging & found this interface :

Found here : http://www.obd2tool.com/goods-4475-ELM3 ... droid.html

Comes with software to download onto your phone / tablet then you can do all the monitoring stuff ... :)

Dunno if they are any good - anybody used one before ?

Cheers, Bantum ...

Bantum
General Member

Laser ...

Post by Bantum » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:49 pm

Will also have a go with one of these : 7" Tablet MID-782

More info here : http://www.laserco.com.au/android-tablets

Supposed to be able to do all the above & more, so will load it up & see if it works ... :)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Bantum
General Member

Androided ...

Post by Bantum » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:35 am

Does anyone here know how to program one of these tablets ? :confused: ( Android 4.4 ) as I might need to do a crash course or something, as I'm having trouble getting the thing to operate - ( just a noob operator I expect ) :rolleyes:

Ciao, Bantum ...

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:39 am

I'm liking the idea of in car tablet pc replacing a head unit even more now that there are more and more tablets on the market every day, all different sizes. Hope you get yours in before me...need someone to copy off :rolleyes: Of course you need a proper amp with this sort of setup for the sound system, with headphone out from the tablet going to aux in on the amp. Only tricky bit I can think of is if you want a proper volume knob (I'd prefer one, instead of fiddling with a touchy screen while the car is moving) I've seen a double-gang pot wired into the headphone cable between the source and amp, wonder if this would give very satisfactory results.

As for "programming"...doesn't it just operate like a mobile phone? i.e fire it up, it shows you a "desktop" of sorts with all the apps installed on the device. All Android OS I've seen are all the same, maybe with little differences but they all work the same.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Bantum
General Member

Infotainment ...

Post by Bantum » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:03 pm

Might have to change the title of the thread, as its progressed more into a 'Infotainment' system.

Help : Admin ? Edit : thanks Jan ... :)

Yep, the intent was to use a powered head unit for sound / video ? It should be able to connect via a combination of USB / HDMI / Earphone outputs. Yet to work out what unit to get though ... :rolleyes:

As to getting all these things to work together, I've heard it can be a bit nightmarish if you don't know what your doing, so will have to learn a bit more about Android so I can at least ask someone with enough nouse to nut things out.

I'll keep plugging away it & will sort something out sooner or later ... ;)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Bantum
General Member

Connected ...

Post by Bantum » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:18 pm

Well I've nutted out how to use the tablet a bit more now, am using it to post this now ... :D

Edit : I had come back to computer to fix it up though ... :rolleyes:

Downloaded a few apps and will see if I can get the mobile phone to sync up ... :twisted:

Add : I found the tablet key board is way to small for my fingers to type on ( keep getting the wrong buttons) So might invest in a attachable wifi / Bluetooth key board ... :idea:

Ciao, Bantum ...

Bantum
General Member

Torqued ...

Post by Bantum » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:37 am

Got Torque ( lite ) OBDII to load up, will need a few more components yet before it all works though.

There a few more apps that can go with this, like OBD II Repeater & full version of Torque Pro.
I might get them once I have established it works ... :D

More info here :
You'll note they are by same guy : Ian Hawkins ... ( more on him later )

Also looking to get something to mount the tablet on ... :)

Something like this might work : Sony XSPN1BT CD Smartphone Cradle Receiver with Bluetooth ...

Found here : https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-audio ... th/806128/

Not sure if this will work yet, might keep looking for other types ... :confused:

I haven't been able to get the phone working with the tablet yet, not sure what's missing as I can see the connection on tablet / phone, but not able to make call yet ... :(

Any suggestions to what apps would work ? ( my Mobile phone is a old Nokia )

Cheers, Bantum ...

Bantum
General Member

Test fit ...

Post by Bantum » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:52 am

Tried out the tablet :

Seems to fit Ok, will have to work out a way to mount it now. Few drawbacks found so far is the glare factor & small text size - will be ok at night though ... :D

Cheers, Bantum ...

M0rpH

Post by M0rpH » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:09 pm

Bantum wrote: I haven't been able to get the phone working with the tablet yet, not sure what's missing as I can see the connection on tablet / phone, but not able to make call yet ... :(

Any suggestions to what apps would work ? ( my Mobile phone is a old Nokia )

Cheers, Bantum ...
If you can explain to me what it is that you are trying to do i may be able to help.

The glare factor on tablets can usually be solved by finding a matte screen protector.
Search around for anti glare protectors, even if they are too big you can just trim them.

Small text size can be changed as well, spend some time looking at different launchers for android. I haven't looked in to this myself yet so i dont have any quick answers.

You can get AM and FM radio on your tablet if you grab a cheap dongle and play around a bit.
http://sdrtouch.com/index.php
I had forgotten all about this until i read your thread.
91 Leone wagon, body and suspension lift. Currently collecting parts for rebuild.
Currently rebuilding EA82.

Bantum
General Member

Software ...

Post by Bantum » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:41 pm

Yep - Will def. get some anti glare screen protectors. As I'm new to all the Android stuff, so don't really know much about it or what I'm doing - just playing with it to see what it can do really. Add : Found the bit to enlarge the text so Ok with that ... ;)

The initial idea was to link a head unit ( for power sound system ) with the tablet ( via HDMI ), then be able to hook up a mobile phone ( hands free ) to the tablet ( via Bluetooth ). Later I can also look at linking it all up with a plug in device for OBD II ( as seen earlier in the thread ). P.S. the tablet device already has radio on it, just needs a antenna ( ear phone jack ) & good to go ... :cool:

To me its just finding / making stuff that works, weather that's practical or not is another matter. I'm also looking to hook up a USB storage device ( 1Tb HD ) with enough room on it to load up some music + down load a DJ system to run it. So just a matter of finding the right software I guess.

Note : I've loaded 'Nokia PC Suite' on my desktop which works fine on windows, just need to find an equivalent for Android ( if there is such a thing ) ... Not to worry if I can't get it to work on the tablet, no real biggy as I was looking to get a new phone eventually, just have to make sure its compatible I guess ... :/

Thanks for your help ... :D

Cheers, Bantum ...

M0rpH

Post by M0rpH » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:21 am

No worries.
Keep tinkering and the solution will present itself soon enough.
91 Leone wagon, body and suspension lift. Currently collecting parts for rebuild.
Currently rebuilding EA82.

Bantum
General Member

OBD II Readers ...

Post by Bantum » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:17 am

Did a bit more digging and found out the ECU I have is possibly for an EA82T, with case codes of : 22611 AA400 + A11-000 R14 ( will post some photos later )

Might be able to jerry rig something up to get readouts from various functions like speed, rpm, temperatures + a few others. Only thing is to find a pin out diagram to suit + a matching OBD II Bluetooth reader of some sort ( posted one earlier in this thread ) so the tablet can pick up the signals.

Any body got any recommendations for compatible solutions ?

Ciao, Bantum ...

Bantum
General Member

Sound Box ...

Post by Bantum » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:36 am

Also been busy with some concept sketching :

Not 100 % sure this will work yet, as I'll have to wait until I've got all the bits together & see what fits ... ( main one missing is the subwoofer )

Does anyone have an old one lying around their not using ? - Looking for the shallow depth type, with approx. 1000 W, somewhere between 12" to 20" dia. ... :twisted:

Even something that I can beg / borrow / steal ? ( for test fitting purpose only )

Ciao, Bantum ...

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:47 am

Where are you in Brisbane Bantum?
I might have a 12inch sub you could borrow.
Approx. 33cm outer Dia X 13cm depth.

Return to “Bantum’s Works”