Bantum's Infotainment System

Collection of automotive design / construct projects by Bantum ...
Bantum
General Member

Bantum's Infotainment System

Post by Bantum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:36 am

Ok - Rather than clutter up my other thread with irrelevant data, I will attempt to outline the progress of the sound system installed into my Brumby ...

Starting with what was there ... Then I will progress to the current situation & onto perhaps what is on my wish list of things to do ... :)

What's the saying ? : Sit down, shudup & Hang on ... ;)

Ok, here are some shots of when I first seen it ...

Errr... When / if I find the rest of them ... :(

Add : I don't have any early shots before I got this car, so don't know what it looked like ... :(

Here is one taken in the process of Removing Door trims ...

Note : The original lower panels seem to have been lost at one point & have been replaced by MDF panel cover in the carpet ...

Will post more when I find it ... :)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Edit :Its become more of complete entertainment / info system now, so will need to change the title ...

Bantum
General Member

Door Speakers ...

Post by Bantum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:41 am

The following is of the process to correct the location and stageing of door speakers :

The aim here was to enlarge the hole for the speaker to fit better in a proposed cover + door pocket ...

Note : I've marked out the center lines to make sure it's the same on both doors ...

Hole enlarged ...

Note : I marked out & cut off any excess steel - then gently tapped the edges over to make it look factory ...

Next : To make some spacer back mountings, as it needed to have something to fix the spacer to ...

Note : I made templates from 1mm card ... Remember - Measure twice & cut once ! ...

Spacer backing finished ...

Note : I've used approx 1mm thick aluminium sheet for the backing ( It was lying around doing nothing, so used that - you could use sheet metal or similar ) the spacer was brought from JAYCAR ...

Spacer screwed to backing ...

Note : I've used wall plugs & long screws to secure the spacer to backing, it seems to be holding Ok ...

& mounted to door ...

Note : Metal screws fix backing to door, could do with a spring clip behind if they don't hold ...

Then install speaker ...

The speaker's are the orginal that came with it ( not sure of brand ) & wern't in too bad shape, so kept them for now - I might look at upgrading them later ...

Note : P.S. - Don't forget to plug it in ! ...

Nice side shot showing the new firing direction ...

Note : You may want to seal it @ some stage - to stop vibrations + leakage.
I was going to use some thin double sided tape, or you could use silicone glue ...

I found this improved the sound image & overall tone, as the door now acts as a sealed box - although it still has tinny overtone ... I will have to put some sound deadner on the inside at some stage ...

Next step is to finish the door trims - More to come on that later ...

Bantum
General Member

Head Unit ...

Post by Bantum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:22 pm

Ok - Mmmm, lets see - It all started with this :

Note : The ash tray was already missing when I got it ...

I had ideas to put in a bigger head unit, simliar to what I had in the Wagon ... Then later, maybe a car PC ? ...

So the plan was to cut out the existing consol box ...

Note : You might be able make out the cut lines ( Silver pen )

Note : I ended up leaving a 10mm edge for securing the future face panel ...

& then proceded to cut it up ...

Note: I'm missing image of next step - which is : Treat with heat gun and bend egdes back ...

I then made a mock up back plate out of carboard & printed a head unit to get an idea of what it might look like ...

Note : I've also made an alowance to bring forward the face of panel about 15mm to increase the overal depth & enable to fit a double DIN unit in ...

Next : The plan is to use the carboard template to cut & shape a suitable piece of aluminium ... :)

Sadly this is a far as I got to date & have also been looking around for a suitable replacement unit ...

P.S. - Concept plan is to cover the consol box in vinyl - similar to what I did elsewhere. ( Link to go in here ... )

Edit : showthread.php?t=22350

Ciao, Bantum ...

Notes : More to come + some sketches I'm working on ... :) + Had to Re-link some images ...

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:06 pm

Continuing discussion on from other post re: Head Units ...
purp wrote: ... Do any of the tablets on the market come with the ability to plug a GPS aerial in ? ...
I don't have an answer for that yet ... :(

Add : I do believe there are options out there - but haven't looks for any specific models though ...

More on the ASUS tablet ...
Silverbullet wrote: ... I was looking at those too, until I found out they don't have and can never have an FM tuner :( That's all I use my stereo for at the moment! :| ...
My next question is what could you add to make it work ?
Are there any radio recievers that could be pluged in ?

It says in the info box that there is a :
  • Interface Headset Jack,
  • 1x micro-USB,
  • 2x Digital microphone,
  • 2x High Quality Speakers, &
  • 1x Docking PIN

I wonder what the docking pin is ?

There are also some car PC's that I've seen - might have a look into them ...

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:44 pm

There might be something you can add externally to get an FM tuner, but personally I'd want to be able to set and adjust things on the tablets screen and see all the info displayed. Apparently the Nexus 7 doesn't have an internal FM antenna, and the chip they use for FM tuner on portable devices is missing.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:11 pm

Ok - how about this ? ... CustomGadz X2 Module for Android

I'm not 100% sure how it works, but interesting nontheless ...

There is also this for PC computers ...

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:17 pm

Interesting, looks like you install that larger screen into your dash and plug your phone into it when you need to then it's just your phone on the bigger screen. It could work :wink:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Bantum
General Member

Power ...

Post by Bantum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:26 pm

Also got one of these to go into it later ...

I'm not sure where I'm going to fit the cap, possibly on the back wall ?

I'll have to re-wire everything too ! ...

These conectors are the good quality type & should last ... :)

Bantum
General Member

Console Mods ...

Post by Bantum » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Found this ... courtesy of 2coupedup

I was also thinking of trying this, only thing I have against it is the oreintation is all wrong for where the proposed head unit goes, as it faces down ... :(

Add : I'd note also that the cables for heater box & fan unit will need to be reconfigured for this to work also ... :/

In theroy it should be in 'line of sight' from driving postion, so that it can be easily read. It could be fixed with an adjustable monitor that retracts maybe ?

Another thing I picked up on is that one has a different type of Consol box to MY Brumby ... :)

Bantum
General Member

Interoirs ...

Post by Bantum » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:39 pm

Ok - I did some sketching of what I'm proposing to do for the Brumby Interior :

Colours are pretty much original but I've introduced a darker Gray trim to door & consol & highlights in metalic blue to match engine bay.

Have got most of the dash lined up, but am still looking for a instrument cluster to match ... ;)

Door pocket pods come off a gen 1 Liberty ? & will be finished with new custom trim.

Center consol as prevoiusly posted, although I may see if I can get hold of a long type box ( used in Touring wagons ) later.

I still have'nt decided on actual type of head unit yet ... :(

More to come ... :)

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:04 pm

I am planning on running this head unit :
JVC KW-R900BT

Double DIN sized, extra large buttons, Bluetooth, Ipod etc
And it has a tiny remote control that in a previous car I double-sided taped to the back of the steering wheel :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:38 pm

nice install, the stinger gear is very good.

what amps are you planning on running? i noticed you have a capacitor.

upgrade those speakers asap. Theyre cheap junk, sony copys (and sony make very average car stereo gear)

you need to back up the very nice install youre doing with better gear, or else its pointless!

Bantum
General Member

Future plans ...

Post by Bantum » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:02 pm

niterida wrote: ... I am planning on running this head unit :JVC KW-R900BT

Yeah - one of a number that I've looked at - it dose'nt quite match the 'decor' that I'm going for though ... :(
Alex wrote: ... nice install, the stinger gear is very good ...
Thanks, it's a 'Work in progress' though ... :)
Alex wrote: ... what amps are you planning on running? I noticed you have a capacitor ...
Have'nt got that far yet - I was planning to borrow my old Alpine amp which was in my wagon ( I'll upgrade it later ) - I might do a sketch of a 'pod' that I'm thinking of putting behind the seats + where I'm also looking at putting the Cap along with a decent sub woofer somewhere there ... ;)

Note : There is a problem to resolve here, with how to stow the targa top ... :!:
Alex wrote: ... upgrade those speakers asap. Theyre cheap junk, sony copys (and sony make very average car stereo gear) ...
Yep - could'nt agree more, just working with what I had at hand. Alpine's are on the whish list ... :)
Alex wrote: ... you need to back up the very nice install youre doing with better gear, or else its pointless ... !
Yeah - like said, the're only there untill can afford the good ones ... :)

Post by 60766244 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:09 pm

Bantum wrote: Image
Awesome sketch up. Enjoying following the progress!
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:14 pm

In regards to speakers - don't set yourself on one particular brand - go to a stereo shop and listen to the same CD of your own and decide whch ones sound better to YOU !!

I have just done that and the JL Audio speakers at $1100 sounded worse than cheap JVC's at $149. My personal preference was for Hertz HSK - very good bass response.
I ended up buying Hertz copies from ebay - $130 delivered - and they are very well made and you can not tell them apart form the real thing :)

2nd choice would have been Morel Tempo - not as bassy but probably slightly better overall - can get genuine ones on ebay from Israel (they are made there) for $200.

Both of those retail for around $400.

Pity you can't get the Jaycar Kevlar Response splits anymore - they were rated above any other speaker up to $600 and only cost $200. Just missed out on a couple of sets on Gumtree over the last few weeks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bantum
General Member

Alpine gear ...

Post by Bantum » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:37 pm

Had a look at this Alpine Marine unit :

I like some of the features ( it's water proof ) & it sorta of fits in with the peroid features of a Brumby + comes with a nifty remote ... :)

Hmm, wonder where I can fit it ?

+ Time for some power :

I'm thinking of getting two, one PDX-1.600M for Sub + run the Cap of it & another PDX-4.100M for doors ... :)

++ Somthing like this SWR-M100 to run off the Sub :

+++ How about something for listing externally like a SPR-M700C ?

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:42 pm

niterida wrote:
I have just done that and the JL Audio speakers at $1100 sounded worse than cheap JVC's at $149. My personal preference was for Hertz HSK - very good bass response.
I ended up buying Hertz copies from ebay - $130 delivered - and they are very well made and you can not tell them apart form the real thing :)
youre right about getting speakers which you personally prefer.

BUT, i disagree with you 150% about the hertz speakers. Im running GENUINE hsk 165s front stage in my liberty with focal polyglass splits in the back doors.

my mate also has the fake HSK hertz speakers which i installed for him, not even margianally close to the real deal. The bass these things can produce almost takes away the need for a sub.

With capacitors Bantum, theyre really only useful when youre running well over 1000W RMS. You can get a bigger battery(which youll need anyway) and the capacitor is useless.

If youre serious about the sound your getting, id recommend dynamatting your doors. The PDX series of amps youre looking at are fairly high end and its worth going the full hawk if youre using really good gear. I cant recommend alpine amps highly enough, the quality youre getting, even if theyre not overly cheap is great.

This is how i dynamatted up my Hertz speakers...bits everywhere i know, but its all about getting it as sealed as possible.

my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:00 pm

Alex wrote:BUT, i disagree with you 150% about the hertz speakers. Im running GENUINE hsk 165s front stage in my liberty with focal polyglass splits in the back doors.

my mate also has the fake HSK hertz speakers which i installed for him, not even margianally close to the real deal. The bass these things can produce almost takes away the need for a sub.
Not sure what you mean - are you saying the fakes are crap and are too bassy ?

I haven't fitted mine yet - was just going on other peoples experiences on a car audio forum (one of the posters actually runs the forums and does comparisons for a living and he said he couldn't tell they were fakes).

Sorry fo the thread hijack :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:21 pm

niterida wrote:Not sure what you mean - are you saying the fakes are crap and are too bassy ?

I haven't fitted mine yet - was just going on other peoples experiences on a car audio forum (one of the posters actually runs the forums and does comparisons for a living and he said he couldn't tell they were fakes).

Sorry fo the thread hijack :)
Sorry for my crappy wording haha (beer)

Build wise the fake HSKs looked the same, the voice coil is smaller though. Sound wise, they aren't for me.

The bass I was referring too is in regard to the genuine speakers, theyre an exceptional piece of equipment for the price (think I paid around $450, they were a new model at the time)

Im not judging what people think sound good though. Everyone has their own preference and I think people should stick to what they like.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR HD
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:28 pm

I like BASS :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Bantum’s Works”