'93 Impreza WRX bad radio reception

Get wild & funky with your Mobile disco ...
Tomi

'93 Impreza WRX bad radio reception

Post by Tomi » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:34 pm

Hi everyone.

I have recently purchased a 1993 Impreza WRX and I am having problems with radio reception. In the suburb I live in, all I can hear on FM radio is static. In some other areas the reception gets a little better but there is always some static in there. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Would a new head unit work? Currently I have an Alpine CDA-9856. Or is it an antenna problem?

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:03 pm

Could be a couple of things I would first check the aerial connection. I know in the foresters they have a booster behind the radio. Check that if you end up replacing the head unit.
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:20 pm

Ihave pulled a few stereos out of Subarus and they all seem to have the aerial connector a fair way from the stereo. The connection may have pulled out if it was stretched tight to make it reach. The solution for this is simple - the cable from the aerial is usually bunched up unbder the passenger footwell carpet. Just pull it out and reconnect :)

Could also be a dicky aerial.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tomi

Post by Tomi » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:31 am

Okay I pulled out the current head unit and found out that the "Power Antenna" wire isn't connected to the car. Would this be causing the problem? Can I connected any power cable to this or is there a specific cable in the car somewhere?

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:50 am

That has to be connected to the wire coming from the antenna. Should be a blue wire with a white stripe (from memory) in the cars wiring behind the stereo. It should be in the same bundle of wires that plug into the head unit itself somewhere.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:08 am

I just checked my Factory RS manual and the power antenna wire is BG ( Black with Green stripe). It should be bundled with the Yellow/red stripe, Blue/red strip and black wires.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:38 am

Hi and Welcome to AUSubaru Tomi,

Sounds like your ariel/antenna isn't pulled out enough. Also check that the cable is not broken anywhere under the dash or up the pillar.

The "Power Antenna" wire is not required on the WRX as they don't have a power antenna. This is for the stereo make the antenna go up when the radio is switched on.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Tomi

Post by Tomi » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:53 pm

Okay so I installed a new head unit and the reception is still bad. It seems like the antenna cable runs under the passenger foot well and down the left hand side of the car. It would be too much of a hassle to trace this cable to find any problems. Can an antenna be easily replaced?

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:52 am

93 Impreza should have an antenna above the RHF A pillar, just at the top of the front windscreen near the driver's side. Not sure why your cable would be running down the LH side of the car??

They can be replaced but I would recommend you attach a draw wire to the end before pulling the old one out, this will allow you to pull the new one back through the pillar.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tomi

Post by Tomi » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:28 pm

Yeah the car has the antenna just above the driver side door. It is very hard to trace it back to the head unit though, as it travels into the dash.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:45 am

Yes, it's hard to follow but can be done.

Is the antenna pulled out from the roof? Should be about 80cm when extended out.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tomi

Post by Tomi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:26 pm

Yes it can be extended, but makes little difference to the reception.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:06 am

Tomi wrote:Yes it can be extended, but makes little difference to the reception.
Then it definitely sounds like something isn't plugged in.

Reading your other posts, I'd say someone has had this car apart and who knows what's been done.. Might pay to have a auto sparkie check this and other issues. Dave (subarino) comes to mind ;)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Sound / Entertainment Systems”