GEN3 outback Headunit - replace

Get wild & funky with your Mobile disco ...
indy

GEN3 outback Headunit - replace

Post by indy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:20 am

Hi guys, so i recently purchased a 2001 Gen3 outback.
Whilst the lack of Auxiliary port, i thought oh well i'll just have to use CD'S.
Only to find today the CD player appears to be stuffed. Tried various CD's and i get "Er 6".

Anyway, starting to think i will get rid of it and put a new one in, that does have a front AUX.

Here is my current headunit:

After reading through a few similar topics, it seems i need a Double Din headunit, or a single din and will be left with a gap?
I'm after a cheap (Sub $200) headunit, that will have front AUX.

I found this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-JVC-KW-R ... 4abbb01de0

Would it be fairly straight forward? also if anyone has a different headunit that isn't too $$$ which they recommend that would be great aswell!

Post by 60766244 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:19 pm

indy wrote:Hi guys, so i recently purchased a 2001 Gen3 outback.
Whilst the lack of Auxiliary port, i thought oh well i'll just have to use CD'S.
Only to find today the CD player appears to be stuffed. Tried various CD's and i get "Er 6".

Anyway, starting to think i will get rid of it and put a new one in, that does have a front AUX.

Here is my current headunit:

After reading through a few similar topics, it seems i need a Double Din headunit, or a single din and will be left with a gap?
I'm after a cheap (Sub $200) headunit, that will have front AUX.

I found this:

Would it be fairly straight forward? also if anyone has a different headunit that isn't too $$$ which they recommend that would be great aswell!
Replacing head units is fairly straight forward. I've done about 6 or so and some 2-Ways too.

I don't know much about that particular unit you're putting in but they're all more or less the same. (Braces for audiophiles fury :rolleyes:)

If you haven't done it before then see if there's a mate has and who's willing to share a beer or few to sort it.

Youtube should help?

If it is a double size unit, then get one to fit the gap, otherwise you need to muck about with filling the gap with a plastic slot or something.

Plastic modifying is (well for me at least) the most hated part of any change-out, if I ever need to do it.

See if you can get a wiring diagram for the vehicles head unit (it might be on the back of the unit itself) then pair it to the matching wires of the new wiring kit.

You should be able to spot the speaker wires pretty easily, as well as the aerial and remote cables (if it has one). The black wire should be earth, and the red and yellow should be positive and accessories.

I say should because I've seen some funny, strange and confusing wiring before. Since that's the factory stereo, it should all be fairly simple.

If you have a solderer and heat-shrink tubing then the job will be a lot neater looking. That said, when on my P's my first stereo was wired in with just electrical tape - worked, but looked ugly back there. :rolleyes:

Most importantly: Go slow! Don't rush it! - If you do try take shortcuts in removing panels, screws or getting things to work it usually means more work down the track, or you might damage things. I learned that one the hard way once. :(

Anyways, happy wiring! :mrgreen:

My most recent swap...

Before

After
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:31 pm

Well since you have this Gen of Outback you could just do this :) No need for CD's or Aux with this little mod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... -ALYArl5S4
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

indy

Post by indy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:25 pm

60766244: Thanks for the great info, if i do go a new headunit i think i will go a Double-Din just to save the possible headache of filling in that gap. Unless i can get a spare pocket/Din slot from the wreckers off another outback.

SilverBullet: Wow, that ipad mod is awesome! Although i wonder if you can get a good FM radio app, or somehow connect the car antenna to an ipad/ or another tablet. They said a 7 inch tablet would fit in the Double Din spot (where the stock CD player is) aswell, meaning less modification for the heater controls. I might take mine apart and borrow my brothers Nexus 7 and see if it would require much modifications >:)

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:23 pm

I've done it numerous times to many cars including my old gen3 outback and my gen3 liberty.

The hardest thing is the antenna cos its a double plug. You'll need a y piece which is easy to find. Similar to this. Just can't remember whether it's a double male or double female

Sent from my Motorola RAZR HD
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Davidov

Post by Davidov » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:58 pm

I have a gen 3 outback. I used a single din stereo and filled the gap with a single din pocket that can be found at any supercheap. Was simple and all screwed straight in. The edges arent perfect looks wise but everythings in without any gaps etc.

Another name for the adaptor plug you will need is a 'nissan diversity adaptor'. Only thing im not sure about with this adaptor is if it properly powers the antenna amp, because my radio reception is rubbish. I lose fm signal in a lot of places in perth.
MY03 Outback JDM Turbo Conversion
Taza: "Is this phone quad cam?"

tony

Post by tony » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:33 am

I have a unit out of an outback i was going to fit it to my commodore but never got around to it. it is a double din.
i bought off evilbay and so have no idea if it works, was assured it does but.... but you can have it for what it cost me $50 +postage about $15.

indy

Post by indy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:27 am

Davidov wrote:I have a gen 3 outback. I used a single din stereo and filled the gap with a single din pocket that can be found at any supercheap. Was simple and all screwed straight in. The edges arent perfect looks wise but everythings in without any gaps etc.

Another name for the adaptor plug you will need is a 'nissan diversity adaptor'. Only thing im not sure about with this adaptor is if it properly powers the antenna amp, because my radio reception is rubbish. I lose fm signal in a lot of places in perth.
I think i will go the Single Din route and put in an extra pocket as you said, as the single din units are much cheaper. I wonder if you can get pop out cup holders that would fit in a single din spot >:)
Can never have enough cup holders lol.

EDIT: just found this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/IN-CAR-DVD-C ... 7751535796
Measures 177mm wide, 49mm high and 144mm front to back approximately
Includes a frame which measures 188mm wide and 57.5mm high approximately

Might be a tight fit
tony wrote:I have a unit out of an outback i was going to fit it to my commodore but never got around to it. it is a double din.
i bought off evilbay and so have no idea if it works, was assured it does but.... but you can have it for what it cost me $50 +postage about $15.
Thanks for the offer tony, but i'm after an aftermarket due to front auxillary port.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:54 am

Anything din size will fit.

I wouldn't muck around with adapter plugs. Just do a rewire. It's fairly simple. I'm on holidays and can help if you need

Sent from my Motorola RAZR HD
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Return to “Sound / Entertainment Systems”