Sound upgrade in a Used Outback MY08

Get wild & funky with your Mobile disco ...
vermanium

Sound upgrade in a Used Outback MY08

Post by vermanium » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:12 am

Hi
I have just bought a used Outback MY08 and am waiting for delivery.
Being a bit of a music buff, i am thinking of updating the sound system in the car a bit.
Thot i'll get some advice from the smart people on this forum.

The present system is a standard one. Its a 6 cd changer.I don't want to spend too much on the upgrade-yet. What would be your quick recommendations?
Does adding just an amplifier and a subwoofer for now enhance the quality sufficiently?

If so, please give me some ideas with the brand and stockists.
Thanks a ton.

ChPLAT

Post by ChPLAT » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:47 pm

Don't think there is too much difference between the sound systems in the equivalent liberty and outbacks so def have a look on Liberty.ASN.

The sound systems are pretty good in them on the standard models specially the bass response I've found. So unless you do like a bit of extra punch, a sub isn't needed as much.
Past rides-
1989 Brumby

Current ride-
MY06 Liberty 2.5i Sedan

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:49 pm

Hi and Welcome vermanium,

I'm no expert on stereos in the Outbacks but do remember my best friend went through hell to get his changed on his 2006 Outback. He had to buy a new surround (which incorporates the heater controls) to fit his new Kenwood All-In-One system. I would drop into your local quality stereo shop and ask them and/or wait to see what others have to say... where are you Alex?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:04 pm

For a start Upgrade your speakers instead of the system and see if that makes a difference. I went from an earth demolishing 20 watt peak to 100 watt peak speakers in my brumby and it does make a difference.

An aftermarket sub woofer will make a difference as well especially if you like your car to shake at the stoplights doof doof doof doof wzwzzzwart wzwzzzwart wzwzzzwart wzwzzzwart doof doof doof doof wzwzzzwart wzwzzzwart wzwzzzwart wzwzzzwart :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:09 am

the whole facia has to be relaced for a new deck. Have a look at aerpro, they do the replacements, with all the heater controls etc etc its a pita.

if it has the macintosh system in it, youll be pleasantly suprised by it. They crank and sound pretty good with sub and three thousand speakers in the car.

pain with the macintosh systems is that the speakers are all 6ohm i think, which makes replacement a pain, as the amps and stuff are deisgned to run 6ohm, not 4ohm.

go to a car stereo shop and theyll sort you out.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:35 pm

Subaru have always used Clarion speakers and headunits up until around 2004. They now use Kenwood.

The McIntosh gear was licensed Clarion gear, but im unsure if they still use Clarion, or if they now use Kenwood

I bought a compact sub (fits under the drivers seat) and hooked it up to my factory headunit. Sounds great.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:37 am

Subaru makes a subwoofer as a genuine part to your model (I am fairly sure), in case you're interested.
SUBYDAZZ

Return to “Sound / Entertainment Systems”