Covering Speaker Hole with Carpet?

Get wild & funky with your Mobile disco ...
BlackMale
General Member

Covering Speaker Hole with Carpet?

Post by BlackMale » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:15 pm

Sorry i have edited this from another thread of mine.

I also decided when sitting in front of the idiot box (watching motor racing) that I would mutilate the door pockets and recover as I have some leftover black carpet.
As you know (or can see in the picture below) there are cut outs for speaker holes.

Do you think that this will have a huge bearing on the sound quality/noise level?

Notes...
- The system will not be a full feature of this car and so comp spec sound is not the objective.

- If you require more info to make a comment all the speakers are all Clarion. The plan is to have a pair of 6x9's on the rear parcel shelf the pair of 6" in the doors (1 per door) and a pair of tweeters somewhere (my guess will be the dash or the top of the door skin somewhere - an expert i know will assit with this bit), currently there is no head unit.

Cheers.
Toyota 105 Series LandCruiser (that nobody on here wants to really hear about).
RX Touring Wagon - fitted out for 4WDing (currently collecting dust).
RX Project - will be road only at this stage (and currently taking way to long to finish).

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:44 pm

house carpet is used as sound deadener on cheap recording studios where they cant afford proper foam tiles...

i wouldnt be coverind my speakers with it ;) jaycar sells speaker cloth
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:53 pm

I second the speaker cloth suggestion. Carpet will most likely make it sound muffled.

What I did with my wagon doors ages ago was to mount the speaker cone as you have (as I see in the BlackMale Picture thread), fairly deep in the door mounted on the metal. But then I used the speaker grill that came with my speakers and mounted that on the door trim (probably a good inch or so away from the speaker cone itself). It looks good just as if the speaker is mounted in the trim itself, but it is still mounted much further back in the correct location in the door itself. Looks better than the original L series grill in the door trim which was getting pretty tatty.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:06 pm

What type of grills do you clarions come with? If they are unsuitabe, no doubt simple black speaker mesh could be bought to cover the hole.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Return to “Sound / Entertainment Systems”