Can't get new stereo to power up...

Get wild & funky with your Mobile disco ...
ScubyRoo

Can't get new stereo to power up...

Post by ScubyRoo » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:05 pm

Hey folks

So I have my swanky new stereo ready to put in my 92' lib GX, and the old one chopped out and looking outdated and forlorn on the garage floor.

My haynes shop manual is telling me which wires are which, however the new stereo (pioneer) is refusing to fire up. I've tried screwing the ground into the car frame, and I've also tried wiring it into the old ground wire that comes from the car, connected the appropriate wires but regardless it still won't turn on. The only thing not connected is the aerial as the male plug is about 30cm away from the head unit (wtf is with that anyway...) - would the aerial not being connected prevent the stereo from powering up? I've tried multiple variations and getting nowhere...

Any help will be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Owen.

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:30 pm

The most common issue I've seen is not having Accessory AND constant power connected to adequate sources, in modern stereo's the both need a decent power rail.

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:35 pm

Hey Jordan, thanks for the quick reply!
BaronVonChickenPants wrote:not having Accessory AND constant power connected to adequate sources...
As in both connected at the same time?

BaronVonChickenPants wrote: decent power rail
As in the wiring is unable to carry enough load as is? Seems a bit strange that I would need to boost up the juice for a fairly mid-range head unit. What do you mean by power rail exactly?

Any other suggestions?

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:43 pm

ScubyRoo wrote:Hey Jordan, thanks for the quick reply!

As in both connected at the same time?
Yes both do need to be connected or you'll get nothing.
ScubyRoo wrote: As in the wiring is unable to carry enough load as is? Seems a bit strange that I would need to boost up the juice for a fairly mid-range head unit. What do you mean by power rail exactly?
Any other suggestions?[/quote]

Your stock acc line is usually OK but older stereo's only required the constant line to power the clock and station memory, modern stereo's tend to require more than this can supply, for a test connect constant to the acc source, with any luck it should power up but will drop it's memory when u turn the ignition off.

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:48 pm

my advice is

connect the red wire to your acc in the subaru loom.

connect the yellow wire directly to your battery + terminal. make sure you fuse it as close to the battery as possible.

screw the ground to the metal chassis in the dash.

If this doesnt work - wiring is not your problem
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:13 pm

If in doubt read the destructions

I made some error in fitting my cheapo stereo a while back using old school wiring

Old school used to be constant battery 12V positive to power the clock and memory and the big juice came through the IGN or ACC circuit. I wired up the stereo ths way . BOSS brand.

Then when problem occured i read instructions to find constant battery pos is the main juice line not keyed ACC or IGN, so also does clock and memory at same time. Only when on IGN or ACC did an internal relay? click things on. I was powering up stereo with the piddly switching wire I thought was just for clock.

Kapisch ?

I ask if you test all wires coming from car too ?

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:39 am

Blown fuse at main box was the culprit :oops:

All is sweet, now I need to go get an aerial extension so I can listen to the radio... Then onto the next project! Ah, nothing like a few days off...

Thanks for your help everybody!

Owen.

Return to “Sound / Entertainment Systems”