Double DIN stereo install - L Series Wagon

Get wild & funky with your Mobile disco ...
johnnyjoejoejr

Double DIN stereo install - L Series Wagon

Post by johnnyjoejoejr » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:43 am

I've been lurking in this forum for months now, getting advice, ideas and information about older gen Subarus. Thought it was about time I gave something back so here's a thread about my new stereo install.

The unit in the car is the factory unit, which I probably could have lived with except the FM band does not work. The marking and holes in the facia were my doing, in prep for the wider double DIN unit. I don't like the look of the aftermarket facias, using the factory facia I'm hoping will lead to a neater looking install.

Ideally I wanted a double DIN with a reverse camera and CarPlay/Android Auto, but the budget is a bit constrained until I can sell the house, and I've got some long drives coming up. So I found this unit for sale online and grabbed it for $130 with free shipping, which I saw that week at SuperCheap for $220.

Not having the CD player allows it to have a shorter chassis (even shorter than the factory radio) which will give me the flush mount that I'm looking for. Also I can forsee myself accumulating enough junk in the car without having to deal with CDs as well.

The slightly wider unit is the only obstacle for an otherwise straighforward mounting. I've drilled out the spot welds and will shorten the right bracket to use the existing hardware.

After that, its wiring and widening the hole in the facia, will have updates soon.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: Double DIN stereo install - L Series Wagon

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:57 pm

How’s this install going Johnny?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

johnnyjoejoejr

Post by johnnyjoejoejr » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:00 pm

Hey Bennie, sorry about the lack of progress. Had it all fitted and working OKish, needed to sort out a rattle in the door, and put in some rear speakers. Was in the process of selling and moving house, changing jobs etc. Had earmarked a weekend to spend some time with her and fix a few things, but she got stolen before that day arrived :cry:

So now I'm in the market for another Subaru :p

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:34 am

That sucks mate! I hope find a suitable replacement. They’re not so easy to find these days :(

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Thu May 06, 2021 1:47 am

Sorry to hear your ride went missing - did you end up finding it ?

P.S. - You'll need to 'share' your google images as we can't see them ... :/

Add : Will also need to 'repost' the link after sharing them in google as the tag link will have changed.

Ciao, Bantum ...

Return to “Sound / Entertainment Systems”