wtb a cb radio... help

Devices used to chat with here ...
sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:18 pm

owned both GME & Uniden - would go GME every time in the future

Suggest you head to a communication shop ASAP for advice - don't skimp on antenna dollars and installation is everything
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:48 pm

I work for a communications shop. And have been for over 5 years now.

I agree GME is better than Uniden... any other brand you will be paying too little cos they are dodgy or too much because they are overkill for what u need.

If you give me an idea on where your wanting to mount the unit and the antenna i can suggest what i would get... also what budget you have to work with. Or any other functions you want it to have... eg: Police channels etc etc.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:40 pm

SuBaRiNo wrote:DUDE!!! are you serious?? I really hope your not knowing what your talking about here. There is about A LOT of things wrong with what you have said here. MAJORLY inpractable.

Dave

Well, most of what I work with functions that way. The controller is within easy reach, and the radio itself is downstairs. Not usually that close to the antenna, but that's mostly due to the designers wanting to keep all the boxes in one place rather than spread all over. You have lower losses with discreet inputs and digital data over a distance than you do with RF information over coax.

I admit it's probably not very practical, the head unit looks to be too thick to allow good access to the storage space behind it, and you'd have to allow the cable some slack there so it can flex. And as long as you had the right length of coax from the radio to the antenna (and it was protected from the weather - so, y'know, not under the bonnet or somewhere) it should work quite well. It probably wouldn't be worth it to save yourself two or three metres of coax loss, but still. It ought to work.

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:08 pm

Dude you pretty much loose nothing in coax under 10 meters. The antenna comes with about 4 meters... usually cut about a meter off it in every install.

Thats a 3 meter coax lead... conguet the coax through the engine bay, mount the unit under the dash just like it is designed to be.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:16 pm

hahaha, yeah. You're right.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:46 pm

GME = good gear

ICOM = better gear. If you want high end get an IC400PRO
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:54 pm

I agree.

Dave

Return to “Communication”