only seems like yesterday . Windows XP

Devices used to chat with here ...
steptoe
Master Member

only seems like yesterday . Windows XP

Post by steptoe » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:40 am

it does, only seem like not so long ago XP came out, and things were really upset if you took on service pack 2. Now I find service pack 3 came out ...in 2003

wondering if i should try something like this below

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... f-support/

my continued use of XP does not seem to cause anyone else any grief, I still get those, do not shut off, Windows is doing updates and will shut off when finished type messages once in a while - so, I am getting updates of some sort .....

just going out to wash my dinosaur ....

ktmtragic

xp

Post by ktmtragic » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:57 pm

Whatever you do stay the hell away from windows 10! signed up for the update got it and then spent 2 days getting rid of the bastard ! Spyware if you ask me!

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:31 am

Win10 is just an interface update of win8 if you ask me, and they brought back a "start" button of sorts. But still, windows 8 is an absolute piece of junk IMHO, I've got 2 PC's running on it and they've both had major random problems usually relating to memory management or the auto update feature, which doesn't update anything unless you tell it to :evil: And the memory problems usually manifest as random crashes or the computer randomly restarting itself without asking. Wish I could still get windows 7, it was so much better :(

Even so, you would want to look at changing your operating system soon Jonno, a handy time to do a hardware upgrade too or just get a new laptop. Even though you say yours is updating all the time, windows stopped supporting it months ago so any holes in security will go un-fixed which could be bad if you use your pc for online purchases or online banking.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:02 am

Win7 is or was Vista isn't it ? I'm still on a version of XP and works slow at times, stalls just sits there and spin. Simple fix is shut off at the power point and go do things I am supposed to do. Is worse during school holidays for some reason :) Any new system is a pita if there is no one to help work out the hidden crap in the corner like eight has.
member since 10january2014 #6191

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:21 am

I have XP on machines still for the kids as they have games that won't run on anything but XP. I've found if you re-install XP and only what is needed, then the machine runs really well.

I upgraded one of my computers to win 10 and it is working really well for me. :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:20 pm

With the cost of new computers these days I would sooner buy a new computer than spend hours reinstalling or upgrading am old one.

That said, my alternative was to stop using computers so much and just live with what I have running stupidly slow..
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:45 pm

I use clean disc images :) the hardest part is the initial install, then you make a back up of the install. once you have that all you need to do is save everything important to a portable drive . then format the drive and uncompress the back up.

If you know how to do that it is so much easier to do. :)

I just found a very interesting feature of WIN10. a virtual hard disc creator that will make a 64 terrabyte hard drive, it isn't a new feature, Win 7 and 8 had it VHD but not the ability to make a drive of this size.

I now have a 20 terrabyte drive I'm testing by copying all of my hard drives to it. it will only take another 24 hours to copy 7 terrabytes of data :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

pitrack_1

Post by pitrack_1 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:17 am

I still use XP for my main home PCs. My 'new' one's a 7 y.o laptop (core2 duo) whereas our 'main' PC is a 2004 Athlon XP. Quite slow now, but absolutely faultless, I rarely reboot (simply hibernate) more than once a month. Only problem is it won't run the latest Avira 'cos it doesn't have SSD (a Pentium 4 instruction class)!!!

If I upgrade it will be to WIn 7. We use this at work, it runs well and stably- even if everything else does not!. WIn7 can still be had if you buy "corporate" type PCs- ones designed for large business/government. You often have to hunt/dig to find these PCs on the manufacturer's websites.

Toonga has it right- do a totally clean installation and immediately image it -simply rewrite from the image to start again if necessary.
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

subabooba

Post by subabooba » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:28 pm

I wouldn't use anything even remotely sensitive (Internet banking etc) on a Win XP machine if I were you... It's scary how exposed it is to vulnerabilities.

Have a read of http://www.zdnet.com/article/hacked-win ... -bad-idea/ as to why that hack does not come close to protecting you.

Then do yourselves a favour and get a Mac. 😜

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:56 pm

I'm a linux boy. Most of the issues are under control. I use Mageia, only had one bad update in many years, and then it only took a couple of days for a 'corrected' update to roll out. I got sick of windows years ago.

Return to “Communication”