Waeco MCK750

Put your take on things that go into Subies here ...
Outback bloke

Waeco MCK750

Post by Outback bloke » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:42 pm

Waeco MCK 750
12 volt kettle
750ml capacity
RRP $49.95

We purchased a Waeco kettle before we went away to the gulf for the sole purpose of making water hot easily. To put it bluntly, the waeco is a huge disappointment. I have tried to boil water with it twice now. Once while we were away staying at the beach and once about 10 minutes before I sat down to write this.

The first time at the beach we set the kettle going and after 5 minutes of nothing happening I carefully packed it back away thinking that it was broken.

Cleaning the van out just now we came across the kettle. I decided I would try it again and actually measure current draw and time it took to boil. The kettle used a solid 13.5amps for the time I had it running. The water went from "tap" temperature to just luke warm after 20 minutes.

I again gave up on getting the water to boil. My guess is it would take close to an hour. That equates to 13.5 amps used from the battery supply or in other words just under twice the supply that the solar panels can put in in the same amount of time.

I give it a rating of 1 out of 10. The only reason it got 1 is because eventually it would have boiled. Best way to boil water for around the same price as this kettle is one of the portable gas stoves and a billy.

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:26 pm

Assuming 13V and 13.5A, that gives 176W of power. In theory, with 100% efficiency and no thermal losses, it should take 15 mins to boil 2 cups of water.

I'd stick to the gas stove.

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:50 pm

I was wondering what happened to the kettle, takes only a few minutes to boil the kettle with the gas stove
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:45 pm

I received the following response from Waeco today. I will take this one back and get it swapped and see how things go form there.
Dear customer, the MCK-750 should boil water in 6-8mins if correct voltage is getting to the item. The unit must have a good 12volt supply when running for it to work efficiently. If the voltage is correct then there may be a fault with the unit and I suggest you take it back to the store for replacement. If you have any other enquires please get in touch.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:12 pm

atleast they got back to you straight away
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Ben

Post by Ben » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:47 pm

I had one of the lion brand leccy kettles, took 20 minutes from go to whoa. Never used it again after that - would have been quicker to sit a billy on the turbo and go for a drive :P

Please watch before posting!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:40 pm

I still call BS

Return to “Product Reviews”