Stronghand Nomad welding table

Put your take on things that go into Subies here ...
Silverbullet

Stronghand Nomad welding table

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:02 pm

For those of us that dabble in a little fabrication and welding at home, this little item might interest you :)

I've had a multi process inverter machine for some years now but never anywhere proper like a metal work bench for laying out fabrication jobs, marking out, cutting, grinding, welding etc. I've always got by with a work mate with a plate of aluminium sat on top of it :rolleyes: Because our shed is verging on microscopic we have little to no room for such a bench in the shed. I wouldn't like to weld in the shed anyway; too many little places for sparks to land and start a fire.

The Stronghand tools Nomad welding table is the answer to all my problems. It is a lightweight, collapsible flat pack welding and fabrication table. The table surface is something like 3mm (thick enough, but don't go hammering on it) with slots in it for placing clamps. There are 2 fences or side rails that can come up and act as guide rails for clamping things up nice and square for tacking. The table is height adjustable and tilt adjustable which can come in handy sometimes, if you want to weld something that is in an awkward position normally but you don't want to un-clamp it from the table. The whole thing weighs something like 20 kgs or so and has wheels so when its folded up you can just grab the handle, tilt it over and wheel it around.

I got this recently as I need to make a trolley to put my welder and gas bottle on but have been putting it off for ages (years) because I have nowhere decent to fabricate it. Today I spent a full day working on the table framing up the sides of my trolley and it is absolutely brilliant. With a few wide reach vice grip type clamps it is almost magical how easily and quickly things go together. The slots mean you almost always have somewhere to put a clamp even in the middle of the table. The right angle fences came in handy many times for tacking things up nice and square. And when the job is all said and done for the day the table folds flat and stores neatly away :) I was a little skeptical at first because the top is quite thin and the table light weight, but as long as you don't use it for hammering things flat or bashing off lumps of slag it is strong enough.

The whole top is zinc coated I think, or passivated as it has a very bright gold kind of finish. This scratches off easily and welding spatter WILL stick to it so it is important to keep the top protected with a quick spray of anti-spatter or WD-40.

5 hours work got both side frames for the trolley finished, alot of time was spent cutting pieces to length and doing the miter joints. All marked out with a square, scribe and cut with an angle grinder. What I wouldn't give for a band saw or drop saw!

Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:53 am

mmmm, might explain why a lot of my welded items have the same curve of my garage floor :)

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:26 am

Sam you do excellent product reviews... have you thought about a Youtube channel where you have product reviews good and bad. :)

Looks like a nice table

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:29 pm

TOONGA wrote:Sam you do excellent product reviews... have you thought about a Youtube channel where you have product reviews good and bad. :)

Looks like a nice table

TOONGA
Thanks for the kind comment, but there's enough bozos doing that on the tube already without me hamming it up as well :mrgreen:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:38 pm

I wanted to post a few pics of what I am making on this table, didn't really want to start another thread :rolleyes: Loving the Nomad more and more as I use it.

Here's a pic to show what it can do; every piece on the table is separate except the 2 upright frames. So you can line everything up, measure, clamp, tack, done!

Can you guess what it is going to be yet?

A quick mock up will give it away...

My little machine almost looks lost up there on its own! I designed the trolley big enough to accommodate a dedicated TIG machine on the bottom (when I get round to buying it :oops: ) and 2 gas bottles on the back. Probably will have room for a plasma cutter up top as well. The drawer is a "rack mount drawer" for sound engineers or computer server style racking where everything needs to be plug and play. It just so happened to be a perfect size for the welding cart and it's made of thick steel with nice roller bearing slides to boot.

Will post a pic when its done, there needs to be some hooks and cable tidy kind of stuff welded on yet plus some wheels and a trolley handle to push it around with.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

coxy

Post by coxy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:46 am

Looking good Sam, I was lucky enough to buy two of them from Supercheap about twelve months back for $40.00 each because they had them for just over a $100.00 each and couldn't sell them.

I had looked at them for a while and when I decided to get one my local Supercheap had no stock left, I got the Counter Jockey to check stock at other stores and then went to get one, thinking it was on sale for $80.00 but no they had two left and were dumping them at I assume cost so I rushed back down the Isle and got both for $80.00 the pair.

Wait till you get a Tig and want to do some precision work, Because the Table is adjustable for multi angle positions you can sit down and tilt the table to a comfortable angle clamp your workpiece and rest your hands on the table when welding at a comfortable angle,Simply Awesome for Tig Work

Return to “Product Reviews”