A different kind of spring compressor

Put your take on things that go into Subies here ...
Silverbullet

A different kind of spring compressor

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:41 pm

Recently I decided it was finally time for me to get a spring compressor of some sort so I can fiddle around with struts and springs at home myself. I never liked the look of the traditional kind (2 x threaded bar with a hook at each end, one each side of the spring and wind them in bit by bit) and some research and watching videos on youtube showed me how wrong they can go, and how easily. Plus the rear struts I got from a Vortex have very small dia. springs which I think is the worst thing for those kind of compressors.

Not wanting any broken face parts from springs slipping I searched for a different design and found these on ebay. They looked very chinese in quality from the pics but solid and with 3 different pairs of "jaws". They arrived within a week and the pics don't show how massive this set is. Try about 15kg all up and the biggest jaws could compress truck springs :eek: It is huge, big beefy square cut lead screw for the working part, everything is made of thick hardened steel. There is also an insert for when (if) you need to compress tapered springs.

Today I tried them out for the first time and I'm glad I spent the money and went with these. They work perfectly, effortlessly compressing L series front and Vortex rear springs with absolutely no chance of the spring slipping out. The jaws have a little tab in the back to retain the spring in its proper position which means when the springs is under compression it is impossible for it to slip out of the seat of the jaw. The spring is compressed square and even with no bulge, with very little effort required to turn the screw with a 22mm socket. Half the time you can't even tell if you're compressing the spring or not.

My only complaint is the assembly is quite hard to handle without a big vice to clamp it in. It's very heavy, always trying to roll away or fall over, you have to hold the strut/spring with one hand while you turn the screw with the other. I've already come up with a method of bolting it to the wall with brackets, which would make changing struts a joy.

I rate these 5 out of 5 :)

The gold jaws are almost too big for Vortex rear springs but still work well. The black jaws are perfect for L series/MY front springs. And the silver jaws are uselessly massive, unless you have a land yacht, monster truck or road train.

Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:56 pm

That's awesome mate - a very neat looking kit!

Too heavy to add to a kit when offroad in a subi? It looks much neater than those traditional compressors you've mentioned - they're the set I carry and use, even on the rear springs - it's tricky but manageable!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:11 pm

I'd say yes, for me they'd be too heavy to haul around 4wd'ing. If you only took the jaws you need it could work though. Also it's big, you'd need a big tool box to fit the threaded part in.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:50 pm

Arhhh ! They look like RX rear coils with the yellow paint daub - must be from a 4WD Vortex and they'd be 10.9mm wire ?? Not ordinary FWD rear coils. Could be sought after items by others.

I think we are gonna be surprised by the quality of stuff coming out from China in next few years. I know a Chinaman who just nods his head when people scoff at made in China, tutt, tutt... "Ees no' all rarbish, jussa people impor' a rubbish stuff"

Mind you , he bought a German torque wrench coz his old one was made same place he was - and he didn't trust it :D

Surely China's wealthy buy quality that is made same huge country - just aint cheap so no-one here buys it in - me thinks

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:02 pm

I think the 2wd rear coils have the lower spring seat up higher? or the lower mounting point is lower than 4wd. Anyway it was definitely a 2WD Vort, no rear diff and 2WD trailing arms with stub axles. Had a 4wd fuel tank though :confused: If someone wants to buy these struts I'm open to offers :) The rubber bump stops have disintegrated though, and one of the rubber lower bushings is busted. I think the car had been jumped at some point :neutral:

You're right Jonno, there is some surprisingly good stuff coming from China lately. I now work at a welding supply place, and most if not all welding machines are now made in China, even old Australian brands like WIA and Cigweld. Also some Chinese brands of welder that come out at half the price of quality names that can stand up to the high end units. Not to mention most of the torches, accessories and consumables that go along with them are all made in China.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

majordad1

Post by majordad1 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:42 pm

Look like the Rolls Royce of spring compressors to me,, put my daggy old things to shame

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:06 am

Crikey SB, those things are monsters! Much better then my spring compressers, though to their credit they will fit most cars!

Getting them back off the springs is the scary bit ;).

Regards

Doug
Attachments
mms_20151103_080136.jpg
mms_20151103_080136.jpg (80.47 KiB) Viewed 3837 times

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:33 pm

Cor blimey Doug, playing with fire :eek:

Silly question, how do you wind the rope down to compress the spring?
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:05 pm

Best not spilling the beans on a public forum or Il get someone hurt. If said 3rd party reader cant figure it out themselves then probably best they dont try. I actually compressed them on the car that time though, it was the only way I could remove the struts and liftblocks without dropping the LCA and associated stuff (no lift blocks under the crossmembers). I think I will grab one like yours though SB they look pretty dang good.

Regards

Doug

Return to “Product Reviews”