Max-Trax

Put your take on things that go into Subies here ...
RSR 555
Elder Member

Max-Trax

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:17 pm

I know some of you have brought the cheaper brand but for those that want the original and IMO the best, get down to supercrappy...
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... 3489#Cross
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:02 am

Maxtrax came standard in my subaru......Floor mats :D

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:07 am

Couple of cut up milk crates tied together and away you go ;)
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'89 Brumby "Brumbylicious"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester
'14 Forester Luxury (My goodness is it schmick!)

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:12 am

Max-Trax are extremely well respeced in the 4wding community. If you can fit them in your car you should have some basically.

Theyre becoming an essentail piece of recovery equipment, no different to a snatch strap!

Milk crates and carpet just dont match max-trax.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:25 pm

I got my pair, best piece of recovery equipment money can buy. Saved my arse more times than I can count and most of the time on out 1st time...
They beat every other home made or cheap method of gear. Been there and tried them all.

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:43 pm

Bahhhh, Waste of money!!!! Bread Crates All The WAY!!!!

I too never had issue with my home made Bread crates, Have them for 2 yrs now and they still are as strong as the day i made them up... They have been used under my car, a mates burmby, a Black wannabe BMW X5, A random bravo, a random Patrol and a lifted liberty... All owners where impressed by them.

But yeah, feel free to buy the Max-Trax if that makes you happy!!!
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:32 pm

Alex wrote:Milk crates and carpet just dont match max-trax.
Absolutely !!
guyph_01 wrote:Black wannabe BMW X5
Pretty sure it was a BMW
guyph_01 wrote:But yeah, feel free to buy the Max-Trax if that makes you happy!!!
Yep.. you're right.. what ever makes me happy.. and by george, if I was going to the beach by myself, and someone came to me with a set of Max-Trax and a set of dodgy milk crates to take with me, I know what I'd be taking with me
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:33 pm

Treds are another option.
Aussie made and owned I think.
Basically the same but have 2 sizes and are in pretty colours.

Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:14 pm

RSR 555 wrote: if I was going to the beach by myself, and someone came to me with a set of Max-Trax and a set of dodgy milk crates to take with me, I know what I'd be taking with me
So would I, don't get me wrong. But someone comes to you and says "you're a uni student working part-time (if that) and you barely scrape by. Which are you going to go for?

$5 crates every time :p
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:31 pm

Personally, I use a plank of wood (and floor mats as mentioned earlier), whick also doubles as a jack floor. Between the shovel, my 48" kangaroo jack and the wood plank I usually get out and back no worries. I wouldnt even have the jack but it was a christmas present ;), bloody good one too! Maybe one day when I have too much money Il buy a set and give it a try, but for the time being Il make do.

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:02 am

Sorry guys, I should have stated on the first post "Those that want/can afford to buy a set of Max-Trax for $300.. head down to Supercheap and get grab a set and save yourself $35 dollars"

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:17 am

RSR 555 wrote:Sorry guys, I should have stated on the first post "Those that want/can afford to buy a set of Max-Trax for $300.. head down to Supercheap and get grab a set and save yourself $35 dollars"
Yeah Yeah Yeah,,,, What ever..... smart ass!!..

Ohhh by the way, When are you back... I need help:p

LOL
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:31 pm

guyph_01 wrote:Yeah Yeah Yeah,,,, What ever..... smart ass!!..

Ohhh by the way, When are you back... I need help:p

LOL
All I read was...

blah, blah, blah, insult, blah, blah, blah, help me !!

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:56 am

I don't need them now and I could afford both but I'd have bread crates any day of the week, I had 8 tracks so could put 1 in front of each wheel and a further 2 either in front or behind the car to get it going with a run up.

They weigh way less and can be packed in pretty much anywhere they'll fit, also I found they were great for laying under my thin inflatable mattress as a base and also good as a floor next to my ironing board for kitchen or fishing duties, a mate uses ironing boards in his workshop as extra benches when needed, it's amazing how handy they came in for camping as a fully height adjustable work platform or table..............always free at roadside cleanups :)
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

Post by 60766244 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:17 am

d_generate wrote:I don't need them now and I could afford both but I'd have bread crates any day of the week, I had 8 tracks so could put 1 in front of each wheel and a further 2 either in front or behind the car to get it going with a run up.

They weigh way less and can be packed in pretty much anywhere they'll fit, also I found they were great for laying under my thin inflatable mattress as a base and also good as a floor next to my ironing board for kitchen or fishing duties, a mate uses ironing boards in his workshop as extra benches when needed, it's amazing how handy they came in for camping as a fully height adjustable work platform or table..............always free at roadside cleanups :)
Everything about this post made me chuckle, nod and agree.

I've used everything from axe-hewn logs, brambles and scratchy scrub to wetting the sand (don't ask how. ;)) to cut crates and even shovels. Crates do well enough for light subis and one-day when I have $300 I don't have any other purpose for (or if I start mining again) I'll get some MaxTrax or equivalents.

Not to hi-jack the thread... but... Does anyone have any photos of their crates?

Mine were some milk cartons that I cut the side edges off with my trusty leatherman on the spot, then ziptied them together with some big zipties I always have in the ute. :D

Sort of in a configuration like this, as you would setup a brick wall. Was surprisingly rigid. :)
---
--

I'd take a photo, but oneday someone decided they'd look better in their ute and I've not had cause to make any more!

As for the ironing boards I can +1 this too. They make great light duty welding benches, or impromptu cutting platforms for working with a saw and lots of wood.
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:04 am

Here ya go.........................Oh, tie a 500mm piece of thin rope to them because they'll disappear under the sand and get lost (especially if you lend them to Guy) grrrrrrrrrrrr ;)

Under my cargo protector.

98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:40 pm

d_generate wrote: Image
Mine are a bit sad compared to these :(

I'll take photos tomorrow when I'm back at the shed. I used 2 milk crates, ground all the sides off (severely burned all up both arms with melted plastic :oops: ) and then zip tied 3 faces together in a line and then half of 1 under each join (similar to what 6076 tried to describe) and then heavy ass zip ties to hold it all together.

Thinking about putting a length of 3/4" box steel up either side and zipping them on for some more rigidity, but they do fine as is.

My first set was knocked off as well, clearly we are too good at what we do :p
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:41 am

Havent used mine yet but all I did was cut the bases off 6 milk crates (3 per wheel) & loosely zip tie them together so they can fold & store neatly. I'll put up some photos when I can....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Post by 60766244 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:40 pm

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:Mine are a bit sad compared to these :(

I'll take photos tomorrow when I'm back at the shed. I used 2 milk crates, ground all the sides off (severely burned all up both arms with melted plastic :oops: ) and then zip tied 3 faces together in a line and then half of 1 under each join (similar to what 6076 tried to describe) and then heavy ass zip ties to hold it all together.

Thinking about putting a length of 3/4" box steel up either side and zipping them on for some more rigidity, but they do fine as is.

My first set was knocked off as well, clearly we are too good at what we do :p
:cool: Great Minds Think Alike! :cool:

Grinder was pretty keen though! Handsaws cut through them easily enough. :D

Steel sounds pretty heavy! I always thought about Sikaflexing the 5 parts together then ziptieing them even more together.

I'll make some someday when I need them. Keen on those piccies!
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun May 12, 2013 7:30 am

Here's the perfect example of maxitrax in use.. no home made bread crates would have got him out !!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l89vlfm ... r_embedded

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Product Reviews”