H4 12V 60/55W Blue Max Platinums

Put your take on things that go into Subies here ...
steptoe
Master Member

H4 12V 60/55W Blue Max Platinums

Post by steptoe » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:25 pm

AutotecnicA branded , OPTI BLUE, SUER WHITE ,high intensity Luminosity lamp system, super xenon gas filled bulbs UV cut ?? ADR approved is the mark I looking for, that is on these as is E Mark approved made in Korea

Picked them up at Kmart was 25 now 20 bucks for a pair. CLEARANCE price
Claims to be an easy fit upgrade _ GRANTED, swap out old bulbs , swap these in DONE

Looks like less light in daylight, At night low beam has sharp edge of blue/white light rather than yellow of old bulbs. High beams mixed with my driving lights - much better and worth the cheap upgrade dollars.

Mistakenly picked up the 90/100W ones first, but the may burn out my light circuit in standard wiring form, ARE NOT ADR approved and marked for OFF ROAD use ONLY.

Put them back.

Will be getting a spare pair if not all sold

Happy Jono

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:33 pm

Crap !!

Did I write that ??

Over four years ago !!

Gees, how time flies!

I hate these globes :(

I have had many times now when I swear I am gonna swap the old ones back. Four years ? Have I put up with them for that long ??

Numerous times now I have found myself switching to park lights to see if I really have any headlight low beams as the light on the road ahead just is not visible in many darkness situations.

About same time I mentioned my disatisfaction to a mate , he emailed me a long report written by a lighting guy, discussing the different colours being used in non standard headlight replacement globes and safety being of special interest in that some people don't see the other light spectrums as well...so long, so much to absorb, I only got the basic gist and agreed with it.

I have also had a number of close calls where cars have pulled out of give ways or driveways as if they have not even seen me! Almost too often, too coincidental to be something else. It seems to me that some motorists look for light being shone on the road to determine if the road was clear. To look head on at my car with these lights on low beam, I see quite bright, bluey white light coming from the headlights and it shines on the road. But, there is a certain sort of light they light up the road, and a certain sort of light they appear from the drivers seat - not to even be on - can't see the road surface. That time of morning before sunrise when need the lights on to see where I am going - nah. I don't know whether it is a bad mix of colour spectrum coming from the street lights or what.

I must have bought a spare set, coz still got 'em shrink wrapped and still got the plain old Philips ones I replaced, sitting in the first sets box. They are about to go back in :)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:47 pm

there ! Look at the time difference between posts, been out and swapped in the old yellow light bulbs in less time that it takes to swear at a Falcon for the same job!

I suppose I am fortunate that they are both working, but that is it, them and the new, still sealed in their box are going in th bin to avoid in further disappointment. I don't have an issue with their reliability as far as working - just the light output. Compared one by one as I reinstalled old yellow bulbs - almost greater area of light coming from the yellow ones when shined on the shed door !

Also many times have had ordinary, yet modern cars behind me, unable to go any faster coz I can't see ahead due to insufficient lighting coming from my car, with their light sweeping past, shadowing my car, making it look to me as if I have black headlights !

Close inspection of the light bulbs indicates a brand name in same place Philips stamp their name, these are stamped Philite !

I now recall buying more lights, same brand, same clearance sale - LED lights described as ideal for caravans etc on packaging. Stuck 'em on my trailer, found thy were not ADR compliant despite being ideal for caravans and available as red dual circuit for brake and tail, orange for indicators, white for reverse - or maybe inside your caravan ! The clear lenses went opaque from a season in the outside environment , still glowed brightly at night, not so bright in daylight. Tossed those spares in the bin also !

olddog642

Post by olddog642 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:56 pm

steptoe wrote:there ! Look at the time difference between posts, been out and swapped in the old yellow light bulbs in less time that it takes to swear at a Falcon for the same job!

I suppose I am fortunate that they are both working, but that is it, them and the new, still sealed in their box are going in th bin to avoid in further disappointment. I don't have an issue with their reliability as far as working - just the light output. Compared one by one as I reinstalled old yellow bulbs - almost greater area of light coming from the yellow ones when shined on the shed door !

Also many times have had ordinary, yet modern cars behind me, unable to go any faster coz I can't see ahead due to insufficient lighting coming from my car, with their light sweeping past, shadowing my car, making it look to me as if I have black headlights !
So memory not so good these day's forgetting how easy it is to work on the old girl ehhehe:twisted:

Return to “Product Reviews”