Kenwood car CD/MP3 player KDC-MP343

Put your take on things that go into Subies here ...
vlad13

Post by vlad13 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:01 pm

http://my.kenwood.com/Car_Entertainment ... /KDC-MP343

Purchase price: $ 114
Retailer: J.B. Hi-Fi

Features:
MP3/WMA playback
RCA output (with "subwoofer level control")
CD-text
"Music Search"
3.5mm AUX input socket
Remote control
Bass Boost
SPRM which claims to improve low quality (bitrate) mp3's when on
(SPRM stands for SUPREME)

Good things:

The stereo performs well, the cd/mp3 pickup time is good, within second(s) of powerup. The equaliser has presets and mids as well, although that seems a pretty useless addition. The display is vacuum florescent, and has excellent visibility. It has a manual dimming option from the settings menu. Even dimmed, it is visible during the day. The display is blue-ish, and the rest of the face is green. The demo mode can be turned off by entering settings and pressing the volume button for 1 second. If not used, the auxiliary input can be removed from the "Source" que. The stereo also features a clock.

Bad things:

The face "features" a red triangular power led that stays on as long as the stereo is powered up (even in stand-by) This was annoying so I removed it by covering the smd LED with some tape. Another thing is the source button which cycles through CD -> Radio -> (Aux if not disabled) -> Standby. So to change from the radio to cd you have to go through standby, which is essentially only an extra button press, but unneeded since the stereo can also be turned off by holding down the source button. Other then that there is not much wrong with it.

+ price
+ green lights match my dash
+ very fast cd/mp3 pickup
+ aux input if you use an ipod
+ display is visible from a wide angle

- the power led breaks up the colour scheme
- the green led's could be brighter (in my opinion)
- the low entry price means it doesn't have the "latest" features
- it's more or less a basic unit

In conclusion:

I am happy I have bought this unit, I was not sure which one to buy because there are a number of low cost units out there. My original price range was $ 150 - 200, however the more expensive models did not offer any extra functions that I need / use.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:19 pm

Neat write up vlad, got a pic of the face of the unit?

I should do one about the unit in Sunnie - he's got a kenwood something that makes the facia display change colours continously if so desired, a nice head unit a pumps out some good sound ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

vlad13

Post by vlad13 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:33 am

I can't take a picture because I cannot find my usb cable. What a nuisance. I might buy a card adapter later on, but I found this (poorly resized) picture on this page. Oh wait I found a better one. http://images.rocket.com.au/12/45/1245235.jpg

openflame06

Post by openflame06 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:44 pm

A mate of mine bought a kenwood head unit recently and it had USB for Ipod connection, i thought it was pretty decent for the price.

jim

Post by jim » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:05 am

I put this same unit into my L series wagon about 6 months ago, quality at a cheap price. Also it also doesn't look out of place in the L series dash.

cheers
jim

Return to “Product Reviews”