Trek Bwana

Put your take on things that go into Subies here ...
Outback bloke

Trek Bwana

Post by Outback bloke » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:52 pm

Perhaps the heading is a little misleading. It should read Trek Bwanana. We have had nothing but problems with the trailer and the owner of Trek since day one.

Maybe I should start at the beginning. After the 2007 NT trip towing the Golf Camper we decided we should get some thing newer, lighter, more streamlined and most importantly made for offroad. It didn't matter what we got as long as it had a solid roof where I could mount the solar panels.

We eventually decided on a Trek Bwana camper as it appeared to meet our needs. We looked at a few second hand ones but they all needed modifying to be exactly what we wanted. So we ordered a new one from the manufacturer. We ordered it with disc brakes, Subaru 5 stud pattern with fine pitch studs, Alco suspension, top line 4 burner gas stove and 7 pin flat trailer connection and bars welded on top of the lid for my Solar panels of which I gave her an exact measurement so they would fit without modding.

We were told 6 weeks from order to delivery date. (Good as I was leaving for Fraser in 8 ) We paid our deposit and went home. Within a week we had a call saying that we could not have the disc brakes or the Subaru pattern. I was informed that it was not possible to get the hubs in that design. I told her that I have bought them before and that my Brother had just picked up his trailer (different company) with that exact set up. Next day I got a call to say I could have the stud pattern but no discs or fine pitch studs. I gave in and OK'd it to go ahead as that.

7 weeks after ordering the van was brought to our place due to their stuffing us around. They drove in, unhooked it and drove away. Not one single instruction on how to open it or put it up.

7 pin round connection, not flat as ordered. No D shackle. Brake lights didn't work. No gas installation. All you get is the Gas cooker/sink combo and that is it. No gas lines, instructions, nothing.

We had the van up in just under an hour the first time around. Looking over it all we were fairly happy with our decision until we looked closer at the workmanship. Gap filler was used in far too many places for my liking. Had they used a silicon based product it would have been better but still not tradesman like. We put the van down and I set about installing the solar set up. The bars were not set at the distance I asked for but still workable. Once the framework was made and fitted to the van we put it all up to test the pivot on the panels. All fine. So we thought. I happened to notice that the lid of the van had a massive bow in it.

We couldn't believe it. The lid had only two hinges on it trying to support it and the panels. It may have been strong enough without the panels although I very much doubt it. The design is very poor. The strength of the lid is at the ends where the main structure is. The hinges were welded one third in from each end where it was only double thickness folded sheet.

This is where we started becoming very disappointed with the van. We had just purchased our first brand new van that was fully galvanized and then powder coated and we had to grind it off to weld on more hinges. Not happy at all, but we had to do it if it was going to serve us long term. I welded on a very sturdy hinge to each end of the van. The paint work afterwards was not the same as the powder coat but the lid was now very sturdy and should last for years.

Next drama was the gas. We rang Joan (Trek) about it and she just fobbed us off saying that it is because of people like us that she won't sell the vans with gas fitted. WTF? People like us? We spend 16K+ on a new van and we aren't happy when it is delivered and we find out we can't use the cooker that we ordered the van with. Long story cut short, it took us 3 days of calling and driving around to find someone that could supply us with a fitting to connect a hose to so we could use the cooker.

With the wiring done and the mechanical side of things complete the van got a wash, then put up, a hosing and then left up for the next week while we packed and planned things with it. We were noticing a little water inside each morning. We had heavy dew each night and we were puzzled how the water was getting inside. We put it down to condensation.

I found out a few days later at Fraser Island that the so called condensation was in fact due leaking in. I worked this out the first time it rained and the water poured in. I got back from Fraser and we found out that we should have drenched the canvas to water proof it. I thought it would have had enough water on/over it with the initial hosing and then dew for a week. We found out at Longreach the very next time it rained on it that it didn't matter how much hosing, watering or rain went on it the van was still going to leak like a bastard. 20K including solar and we still have to carry a tarp to stay dry.

By now the van has done about 2000 kilometres since new. 800 to Fraser and back. 1200 to Longreach. The van was actually towing quite well. We had packed as light as possible as we had the Donohue an Plenty Highway in front of us to do yet. We were carrying minimal water and no extra fuel in the jerry cans. We did fill the water and the 2x 20L jerry cans at Boulia. We still had only the basics in food as we were doing our major shop at Alice. Obviously the less weight you have the better.

We crossed the desert without incident, toured Alice, the rock and olgas, back to Alice then on to Wollogorang. The whole trip we were adding to the dust proofing. I eventually had the front cone perfectly dust proof. The rest of the van was getting close but still needed refining. Treks effort at dust proofing is laughable. We used an extra 2 rolls of foam. Had we had a bit longer with the van we would have had it right.

We did manage to run over a decent wash out in a dip that has pretty well destroyed the van. The chassis is bent. The suspension is shot. The doors don't close any more. The whole van is bent. The lid won't close without using tyre levers. I think it will be written off. Pity as we were getting close to having it right.

Sounds like a pretty bad wash out, doesn’t it? Thing is, the car is fine. Not a problem with it at all then or there. We actually hit a bigger bump in the road a few days later while driving around and we ended up having to repair a rear strut.

This is Trek's flagship offroad camper that we bought, towed for a total of 6000 kilometres, of which 2000 maximum was offroad, and had to leave behind because it wasn't up to the task. Our 30 year old Golf we had prior to this made it home from this trip last year and we ran over very similar stuff then too.

The styling of the Trek is good. The design would be good if it was built to cope with our outback. Seeing where the van has bent and how, it would be possible to redesign and strengthen it. Looking at it now, it is obvious why it has bent as it has. I am not about to go running to Trek and let them know how to fix it as they have stuffed us around so much in one way or another.

Overall rating.
Style 9/10
Structure 4/10
Workmanship 7/10
After sales service 0/10

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:16 pm

Are you sure they'll wright it off? You don't want me to push it over to the loading ramp with the dozer?
Settlement Creek Racing

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:26 pm

I don't know if they will write it off or not. I do know that the body/chassis is beyond repair and the suspension is, well you know....... For us to get it back I think they would have to put a new trailer under the tent and then a new lid over it.

stinky

Post by stinky » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:39 pm

wow, sounds like a terrible experience. Hopefully the next one will be better!
'91 brumby, EJ-Turbo with VOSChip, 2" lift, 15" superlites, Dual Range AWD.

'93 Subaru Legacy, 2.2 auto, automatic seatbelts, LHD.

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:43 pm

brumbyrunner wrote:Are you sure they'll wright it off? You don't want me to push it over to the loading ramp with the dozer?
You just had us all in stitches :mrgreen: DO IT !!! Take photos.
There is only one thing you must do in your life. Everything else is a choice.

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:06 pm

yeah brett...pics..we need to see it
ImageImage

life is like a game of cricket...at some time you will get hit in the nuts

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:18 am

This is unbelievable. Sadly though there are people in business that shouldn't be. Customer service these days is non existent and out the window. How many times have we all bought something and it hasn't been right, or won't fit or is the wrong part. Unfortunately the enormous amount of money involved here..it is serious business. It is getting more and more expensive for people to travel if at all these days without this sort of drama to put up with..our tourist industry is screaming for Australians to travel in their own country..then you have to put up with this crap.

Australian business people and manufacturers really need to pull their finger out and pick up their game if they want to be competitive. There are other countries close by that want our business and are prepared to flood this country with their goods.

Manufacturers need to supply a good product, good service, good value, make the customer feel valued and important to the process and good backup quality after sales service. If they don't, Australia's manufacturing and production industry will continue the slippery slide downhill. I'm afraid some people like "TREK" just don't get it...they also need to realise that news travels fast and bad news travels really fast

My 10cents worth..(I feel better now)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:48 pm

"Hello... consumer affairs..."
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:29 pm

El_Freddo wrote:"Hello... consumer affairs..."
Plus .......... OFT - Qld Transport.

Sounds like this trailer camper could be a safety hazard to owners and road users alike.

Brett, did they give you an Engineers Certificate covering the changes you ordered?
You would think that ordering specific studs - stud patterns & threads would have to be certified by an Engineer as not only being suitable for the trailer but also being capable of doing the job.
Peter

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:24 pm

Peter, they wouldn't do the pitch on the studs for me so that doesn't matter. The Subaru pattern hubs are an engineered buy off the shelf product and the wheels and tyres more than complied with the load rating so there isn't an issue there either.

I think the insurance company will be taking it up with the manufacturer. The car went across the bumps with no issues at all so you would think that a brand new offroad camper should be able to do the same. Surely warranty would cover the structure of the van for where we took it. It is after all sold as an offroad camper.

Quote taken from their website.
full off road capabilities
Another quote taken from their site which is completely false. The amount of dust that got inside the van in standard form was amazing. We had a feeling that some would get in as nothing is completely dust proof but we had no idea that it would allow in as much as it did.
Fully lockable dust & water proof lids on gas struts
Designed with serious off-roading in mind. The swivel hitch and AI-KO suspension more than adequately keep the situation in control. The trailer actually has more clearance than your 4WD but keeps the centre of gravity low to the ground. All steel welded body and chassis is galvanised and then powder coated to last for many years in the worst conditions.

Hamish71

Post by Hamish71 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:39 pm

Thanks for the review, I am in the market for an offrad camper, and trek was on the list. Funnily enough, I first went and looked at them after seeing your post on your purchase. I am also now removing them from the list thanks to your review.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:53 am

It looks like the van is slowly making its' way this way. It sat in Mt Isa for a while as the insurance company tried to work out if they were going to honor a claim or if I should be making a warranty claim on it.

The assessor actually spoke to the lady at Trek about it and she is going to do nothing because she reckons our tyres were too hard and that is why it has happened.

According to Trek, We should have been running our tyres at 20psi maximum and that the recommended tyre pressure from the tyre manufacturers is wrong.

The van should be at Townsville one day this week so the assessors can have another look at it. It appears they are going to accept the claim. If they do I will have to take a weekend drive up there to get the rest of our gear out of the van.

Stay tuned.........

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:35 am

Does it say 20 psi anywhere on the trailer or in any documents you have? I bet not. And did the idiot say if it was cold or hot pressure ? Taking into account any extra load ie your gear ? I'd really like them to get bent over on this one. As far as I'm concerned they have a rubbish product.
There is only one thing you must do in your life. Everything else is a choice.

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:25 am

if you read between the lines in there reply it goes something like this....we are full of sh*t and hoping to get out of our stuffup by making really stupid comments about tyres that dont make any sense at all....why cant they just say sorry and sort it...have they no idea that a good turn amounts to a heap of good reviews which converts to sales...tyre pressure my fat a**...build it better is what it comes down too
ImageImage

life is like a game of cricket...at some time you will get hit in the nuts

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:28 am

Outback bloke wrote:According to Trek, We should have been running our tyres at 20psi maximum and that the recommended tyre pressure from the tyre manufacturers is wrong.
Sounds like somebody is clutching at straws to shirk the crappy workmanship and/or materials.
Ask them to see the engineering plans they submitted to the DoT for the TC under FOI Brett, it would be interesting to see who else ducks for cover and if any corners were cut to increase the profit margin.
Peter

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:21 pm

I am treading very gently with both the insurance and trek at the moment. The end result will determine how far I have to take it. Hopefully we will know this week what is going to happen.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:40 pm

Well I don't have to tread gently.
I had a real good look underneath that thing when I loaded it onto a truck with my front-end-loader (yes, yes, I know, you all wanted me to use a bulldozer but unfortunately I'm between 'dozers at the moment). I've had a fair bit to do with trailers over the years and I can't believe how lightly this one was constructed. Little thin bits of angle for the suspension pick-up points and flimsy, flexy doors. I do like the VC torsion-bar that they used. I'll bet it's still fine.
Settlement Creek Racing

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:25 pm

20 PSI...'that's bullsh%t sir'

My experience is at 20 PSI on the road most tyres would overheat...esp long distance at highway speed.

Had a tyre that destroyed itself on my loaded Brumby at 20PSI (forgot to inflate back to road pressures once on the blacktop)...the others were hot and very bothered.

As for tough trailers, check out Treg (not Trek). This mob have been making trailers for years in SA - even old 6x4s secondhand still go for $500+

http://www.tregtrailers.com.au/Trailers ... 5_ton.aspx

Good luck

sven
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:06 pm

On the subject of road tyres on a trailer we should hear about Subamans issue with the world famous Cooper brand (not intending to start a slanging match but hear his story on pressure)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

dibs

Post by dibs » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:23 am

gday guys

my dad would love this one .what mrs trek you think someone that built that well enginered subaru and does serious ofroading dosent know how things should be done PROPLY and as ordered.
days are gone when you bought sompthing if there was a problem they wouldfix it. its like we got our money now bugger of.
what sort of person or people are you. makes you lolrofholding belly. whats that mean cant we have what we ordered . if you told us that befor we spent our hard earnd money with you .we would not now feal put down and let down and bagging trek .
personaly if theres no satisfaction in the outcome of this id be going to

consumer afairs

a current afairs

print shirts and go to next ofroadshow with them on

even to the government as they might like other companeys get government grants

sorry to hear obout problems / and to bable on

dibs

Return to “Product Reviews”