New Gen3 Outback Struts - Advice please.

naca-yoda

New Gen3 Outback Struts - Advice please.

Post by naca-yoda » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:21 am

Hey all,

My '99 Gen 3 Outback has 245,000kms on her and is still going strong.
The clutch is on its last legs and will be replaced this week or next. Clutch hydraulics too.

The only other indication of her heritage is some knocking from the aging struts. So it's time to replace them. I bought the car with over 200,000 on the clock, so I don't know what nice firm (even stock) suspension feels like!

I'm not rich, and I'm used to crap... so a sensibly priced set should spoil me, plus I don't think I can afford anything touting serious performance!

Can anyone offer some advice on what I should buy (and from where)?
I can arrange fitting, so just the struts themselves are required.
The car does mostly city driving, some camping (dirt roads and tracks) and is driven "with intent". That is to say, I push it hard, but not too hard, as the current sloppy suspension makes for unpredictable results when cornering.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Ta,
Naca-Yoda
(Melbourne, Australia)

Modification/Owners Log http://www.mredge.com/content_99Outback.html

Previous Ride: 88 L Series Wagon

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:53 pm

they come with KYB suspension stock. Maybe just get some new KYB struts front and rear. And if your keen definately upgrade the springs to king springs.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:08 pm

Some good advice there. If you shop around you should be able to get a complete set of struts and springs for around $800. I would suggest not just doing struts. Spend the extra money and do the springs at the same time.

DavesB4

Post by DavesB4 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:40 pm

Excellent advice.

I have just gone through this exercise with my MY99 Gen 3 Outback. This car has just under 210,000km on board.

I simply replaced the stock (KYB) struts with Subaru factory parts. The difference between the worn out and wallowy (and dare I say dangerous) version and the brand new stockers is like chalk and cheese.

Anything extra would only be a bonus.
Dave Hill

MY13 Outback - The new blue one.
MY99 Outback - As it's maker intended - but with a fresher engine now.
1994 RS Turbo - Not quite so stock! And freshly repainted now :)
And then there's the family Vortex - rebuilt, updated and now unregistered and gathering dust in the shed.
:D

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:58 pm

Agreed above, when mine at that time it was 260,000kms i replaced the suspensions, I replaced to new outback KYB ones instead of Liberty ones and noticed BIG difference between worn and new ones.. Thought I'd share.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

naca-yoda

Post by naca-yoda » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:29 pm

DavesB4 wrote:I simply replaced the stock (KYB) struts with Subaru factory parts. The difference between the worn out and wallowy (and dare I say dangerous) version and the brand new stockers is like chalk and cheese.
Thanks DaveB4. Did you do springs as well?

naca-yoda

Post by naca-yoda » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:34 pm

BYB-01 wrote:Some good advice there. If you shop around you should be able to get a complete set of struts and springs for around $800. I would suggest not just doing struts. Spend the extra money and do the springs at the same time.
Thanks BYB-01, thanks everyone!

Shop around for stock shocks where though? At Subaru dealers?

Are the springs just stock too? I didn't realise these worn out. Should they too be replaced with stock ones?

I feel like I'm copping out a bit... is this really my only option?
I've always wanted to get better handling and performance from my car, but cannot justify spending a single cent replacing parts that work fine, just for the sake of a few percent. But now I CAN justify it, because the old parts are shot! Surely there must be parts out there that are similarly priced that represent a tiny step up from stock? Or even represent better performace for the same price, because you aren't paying for manufacturers markups?

Let me know!

Ta again!!
NY

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:39 pm

just get standard KYB's for it, and get king springs as an upgrade. They are about $120 a pair. Not overly expensive. And you WILL notice the difference.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Jack

Post by Jack » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:59 pm

99 Outback part numbers

King Springs
KSFR-32 front spring
KSFR-29 rear spring

KYB Struts
334275 front left strut
334276 front right strut
341276 rear strut (same part number for left and right)

Where?

Suggest you start with Autobarn and Supercheap, then try your other local parts shops.

:)
1999 Outback (some mods)
1989 Brumby (more mods)

Subaru - Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive

adamjgs

Post by adamjgs » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:02 pm

Hi Guys,

Just new to the forum so G'day... I am in exactly the same situation as naca-yoda. Didn't realise the stock struts are made by KYB. Got a quote from Burson for $237 each front strut and $132 each rear, KYB. Subaru want $160 for the fronts and (sit down) $650 for each rear, which in my case is the self-leveling variety.
If you don't mind me semi-hijacking this thread, does anybody have experience replacing the self-levelling struts with regular? Can just the strut itself be swapped or are there other components involved?

Thanks,

Adam

PS - naca-yoda, if you go for new springs, try searching that popular auction site for "king springs", should get 4 for $220...

naca-yoda

Post by naca-yoda » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:48 am

adamjgs wrote:Got a quote from Burson for $237 each front strut and $132 each rear, KYB. Subaru want $160 for the fronts and (sit down) $650 for each rear, which in my case is the self-leveling variety.

Hey Adam, Hijack away! It is all detail that helps me!

So it is cheaper to buy the fronts direct from Subaru?!
How do you know if you have the self leveling rears? My Outback is the stock model, 5-speed manual. I assume the self-leveling was an option or only on the Limited... maybe?

naca-yoda

Post by naca-yoda » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:49 am

Jack wrote:Suggest you start with Autobarn and Supercheap, then try your other local parts shops.
Brilliant! Thanks!

bobbyjimmy

Post by bobbyjimmy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:11 am

I'm taking the Bilstein's (Liberty B4 spec with about 40,000km on them which I bought brand new) out of my Outback in a month or so.

There's your perfomance and better handling.

I'm after $600 for the set.
If your intersted, my email is luke(dot)shepherd(at)janrule(dot)com(dot)au

And if you don't go offroad that much, i'd suggest a rear sway bar and HD links.

adamjgs

Post by adamjgs » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:52 am

Hey naca-yoda,

I am fairly sure that it is only the limited models which have self-levelling rears... I could be wrong! And yes I am "shocked" too that subaru's price for the fronts is cheaper, I will get to the bottom of that today and let you know!

Does anybody know whether the self-levelling struts can be reconditioned perhaps?

Adam

bobbyjimmy

Post by bobbyjimmy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:27 am

No, can't recondition them.
They are common to go in the Foresters too.

Its the Limited's and H6's that use the self levelling rears.

naca-yoda

Post by naca-yoda » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:29 am

[quote="bobbyjimmy"]I'm taking the Bilstein's (Liberty B4 spec with about 40,000km on them which I bought brand new) out of my Outback in a month or so.

There's your perfomance and better handling.QUOTE]

Hey bobbyjimmy,

Thanks for your reply on the AUSubaru site.

I guess my biggest concern is in regard to ride height and compatibility.

It sounds like your added some lovely suspension to your Outback... why undo this modification? Aren't they working out?

Have they degraded much since you bought them?

Did it lower the ride height?

I bought the Outback over the Liberty for ride height (and the 2.5 at sensible prices).

Ta,
NY

bobbyjimmy

Post by bobbyjimmy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:04 pm

Getting rid of them because i'm getting coilovers....
I tried the lifted/offroad thing, it wasn't for me.

Its nowhere near as common for Bilsteins to degrade vs the standrd KYB's.
They have no leaks, funny noises etc.
Bilsteins can also be rebuilt and revalved etc, so could possible be the last set of struts you buy.

It did lower the car, but only because I put in Whiteline lowering springs at the same time.
You can either get a set of HD king springs (as someone has suggested) or an O.E replacement spring (after 200,000+km yours will saggy/sloppy/boat like handling).

naca-yoda

Post by naca-yoda » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:50 pm

BobbyJimmy:

Hang on... you're changing to coilovers because the lifted/offraod thing wasn't for you? But it made your car lower when you did it anyway... because you got whiteline lowering springs...

I'm confused.

What are coilovers anyway?

bobbyjimmy

Post by bobbyjimmy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:02 pm

I had my car lifted with King Spings, before I had the Bilsteins.
I didn't like the amount of body roll when it was lifted (even thou I had swaybars etc), so I got rid of all the lifted stuff and went the other way, lowered it.

Decent coilovers have adjustable height and damping (can replace the srpings for harder/softer and get them revalved harder/softer etc), so you can fine tune your struts to the way you want your car to handle.

You can read about what they do, pro's and con's on rexnet.com.au, GTRydaz.com.au etc, and pictures of Tein's (a Japanese brand) here;
http://www.tein.co.jp/e/products/flex.html

naca-yoda

Post by naca-yoda » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:20 pm

Okay, I'm getting way confused.

Coilovers are obviously beyond my needs.
Will King Springs raise my car? I don't want it higher.
New Bilsteins are way beyond my budget... but if I get stardard Outback (sized) replacement springs, will 2nd hand Bilsteins work properly at this height?

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”