Outback OEM suspension

MINIMOKE

Outback OEM suspension

Post by MINIMOKE » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:03 am

Hi there,

I have just found this forum....good to see. I'm based in Perth and have been subscribing to a USA forum, which seems to be very region specific, especially as they seem to have different builds/models over there.

Having just upgraded my 2.5 Gen3 Outback to a 2.5 Gen4 I have a question regarding Outback suspension.

The Gen2 was the Limited edition with "self-levelling" suspension. I didn't take much notice of this until now when I realise how good it was compared to the suspension on the Gen4.

I need to stop the back end sagging when the car is fully loaded or towing and I want to explore some options.

How difficult/expensive is it to install the OEM/optioned "self-levelling" suspension? BTW, does anyone know how this works? From my experience it seems to do a good job

What other options are there to me bearing in mind that 80% of my driving will be two-up so I don't particularly want to make the rear suspension any harder/higher than normal.

Cheers,

Dave

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:24 am

I wouldnt have a clue about "self leveling" suspensions, but only one thing I can tell you from what I've seen caravan people with Foresters and Outbacks (including Liberty) have raised suspensions in rears to enable heavy towing without sagging and while they have a load they tell me it was like standard suspension height without load on and I can see it myself. I can understand you wouldn't like to see the rears higher than normal and it would effect the headlights as well.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:04 am

The self-levelling rear suspension on current Outbacks is self-energising - it doesn't use an external compressor so is different to earlier versions.

The rear damper (shock absorber) includes a small hydraulic pump which pressurises a hydraulic chamber which extends the damper to lift the car. At a certain length of damper a tiny bleed hole is opened which releases the pressure - thus keeping the height stable. It takes around 2km of use to get up to height.

It should be possible to buy the self-levelling dampers from your Subaru dealer and fit them as a direct replacement.

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:32 am

Aren't the "lifted" (vs std) King springs, really designed to increase load handling, so that maybe all you need?;)

still yeah wonder what subaru sell the optioned "self-levelling" suspension as parts ? won't be cheap, how expensive is the question

madmat

Post by madmat » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:54 am

Get in touch with FROG on here and see what he can quote for you. he works in Subaru Spare parts
Great fun off road. Now lives in FIJI as a mobile dentists truck.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:12 pm

wayyy exxxie look for second hand
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

masterjohnson

Post by masterjohnson » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:11 pm

fredsub wrote:Aren't the "lifted" (vs std) King springs, really designed to increase load handling, so that maybe all you need?;)

still yeah wonder what subaru sell the optioned "self-levelling" suspension as parts ? won't be cheap, how expensive is the question
what's with this "self-leveling suspension"? does all impreza models have this already? just curious. not really interested in having this. no money for buying subaru oem parts :D

bobbyjimmy

Post by bobbyjimmy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:27 am

No Impreza's have self levelling suspension.

pachilla

Post by pachilla » Tue May 24, 2011 6:14 pm

I have 2007 Outback 3.0R with self-leveling Suspension.

If you want to upgrade from standard rear suspension to a self-leveling you need to collect the complete set of rear shocks + rear springs + rear top hats.

pachilla

Post by pachilla » Tue May 24, 2011 6:14 pm

I have 2007 Outback 3.0R with self-leveling Suspension.

If you want to upgrade from standard rear suspension to a self-leveling you need to collect the complete set of shocks + rear springs + rear top hats

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”