Outback Struts upgrade in Liberty

AlpineRaven

Outback Struts upgrade in Liberty

Post by AlpineRaven » Sun May 27, 2007 5:45 pm

Guys,
There is a lot of information all over the place of how to upgrade your stock Liberty struts to Outback Struts to give you more ground clearance - I am planning to do that task, but really to start off - what DO we need?

As far I know you do need to replace the struts front and rears with Outback Struts.... But what about the coils? Use stock Liberty coils in Outback Struts?
I heard that if you get rear FWD Liberty's coils to give a bit more lift than standard AWD Liberty's coils??

Outback Trailing arms - is that for rear only or front? And I think there are various of prices some from $50 - $60 could you provide part numbers and exact amount?

Are there any other mods that you require that you need before starting the tasks?

What about sway bar issues? - What needs to be done?

At the moment - I have new outback struts and I need trailing arms - Will get 2" lift kit in within 6 months or more - depending funds.

And lastly what is the height of before and after upgrade and further 2" lift?

If there are good replies here - I would like this to be made as sticky topic.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Thu May 31, 2007 7:55 pm

You get yourself a set of Outback struts and then get some raised Outback coils. You have a 96 by your sig so no other mods are needed everything will bolt in easily, you can use your old coils but getting the raised coils and struts should give you about a 40mm lift
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

chriSTIan

Post by chriSTIan » Thu May 31, 2007 9:46 pm

Hi
I extended the rear sway bar links by 90mm to compensate
Chris
PS:Will measure up height of guard lip 2 floor 2moro

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu May 31, 2007 10:04 pm

in a Gen2 you cant extend the sway bar links like you can with a Gen1.

the trick is to swap the arms from one side to the other, and turn them upside down. instead of the C link reaching around and under the arm, they bolt in on top.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”