2018 Outback 3.6R Suspension

robbo60

2018 Outback 3.6R Suspension

Post by robbo60 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:14 pm

Hello new member and new to Subaru ownership. I recently bought a 3.6R with 72k on the clock. I am not sure if my example has tired dampers or if its suspension control is as per design ***. My issue is a lack of control, for instance drive over one of those low wide speed humps with the shallow approach and depart ramps at say 40 to 50kph and the rear takes at least 3 rebounds to settle. Drive at quite sedate pace on a country road and encounter mid corner bump and the car slews far more than it should. None of our other cars exhibit this.
*** The point about if my car is as per factory spec is relevant since if it is then there is little point in simply replacing the dampers with OEM spec.
I am quite familiar with getting suspension to work well, many have ridden my current and past m/cycles (off road bikes, road bikes and race bikes) they universally rave about the magic carpet but controlled ride. No bounce yet excellent compliance. With these I can change rebound and compression clickers, shim stacks, oil and several other other elements.
Sadly car dampers are generally unadjustable and certainly not rebuildable by a home mechanic so it is a leap of faith to obtain dampers that do what dampers should do.

Today I followed another Subaru Wagon and watched it bounce repeatedly after it negotiated speed humps yet the Prado in front of it was very controlled. Supple suspension and control are not mutually exclusive.
In the case of my Subaru the dampening is inadequate for the OEM spring rate.
It is as if the Subaru suspension was tuned by the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man to suit the USA market.

Does anyone here recommend a solution to provide compliant but controlled suspension response for a 2018 Outback? KYB, Bilstein, other?
Fully appreciate the Outback is no Ferrari nor is that the aim but we have 9 or 10 cars and 4WD here (4 grown kids and their partners) and they have excellent control (the cars not the kids!).

Cheers,
Rob

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: 2018 Outback 3.6R Suspension

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:06 pm

Rob, your suspension could need an overhaul.

What to go for is up to you as there are many options out there including coil overs etc. there’s a good ep on Mighty Car Mods with super gramps and the suspension they put into it - it could the the same setup you’re chasing.

The stock gear should the oil filled KYB. Aftermarket KYBs will be gas filled - at least that’s how it used to be.

Loads of options out there, you just have to pick what suits your needs and cough up the dough for it, or compromise due to cost.

If you’re wanting to know what to look for, I’m the wrong dude for that. You could ask Pedders just to get their thoughts, but I would be reluctant to go through them as there are many good suspension places out there and I dare say loads of decent info online to swim through!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

robbo60

Re: 2018 Outback 3.6R Suspension

Post by robbo60 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:11 am

Thanks El_Freddo!

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”