positive camber ?

pitscars007

positive camber ?

Post by pitscars007 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:02 pm

Hi guys - my "new" 82 sportswagon 4wd 111,000 kms - has lots of positive camber on the front suspension - the guys at the wheel alignment place were scratching there heads as to why this would be so ? as far as I can tell its all original (no lift kit - struts in the right way around)- on dirt its very wandery but ok on bitumen - any ideas ?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:55 pm

Make sure the height adjustment in the stuffs below the spring seat is at it's minimum setting. Running at max will mess with the camber on the front end. From factory I think they came out with at least a degree of positive camber ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:06 pm

They come from the factory that way and it's not adjustable :( Reasons are a combination of too short lower control arms, too short radius rods and the angle is also built into the front bearing/steering knuckle assembly. There are degrees of how bad it can be; if you have the adjustable front struts (with 2 x adjusting nuts at the base of each strut) make sure you wind them all the way down to their lowest adjustment. If you want better than that then mods are the only way ;)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:28 pm

This is a timely topic for me.
I am looking to install recently purchased front strut cartridge inserts and King springs into the 82 Touring wagon and I am expecting positive camber to be the result on the front end.
What exactly are the mods needed to try to correct this.
Long term I may look at adjustable strut tops (expensive, yes) but other suggests appreciated.

pitscars007

Post by pitscars007 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:56 pm

Yes - I thought it was how it came from the factory - I guess in time everything will sag and lessen the positive camber - (shouldn't take long on Kangaroo Island) I suppose fitting some tired springs would help - doesn't seem to be much room to slot the bolt holes at the top of the strut --- bag of cement where the spare wheel goes ?

pitscars007

Post by pitscars007 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:24 pm

And oh yes - its very "wandery" on the dirt - does positive camber cause this ? the guys at the wheel alignment place reduced the toe in a bit and that slightly improved things - as does driving with high range 4wd - but my old Brumby never had these problems - and I rarely used 4wd in that.

JP147

Post by JP147 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:28 pm

I have the specs here, +2 degrees and 35 minutes, give or take 45 minutes. So up to +3 degrees and 20 minutes is still within spec.

Best way to get rid of it is to install a lift kit, the front strut spacers on a properly made kit angle the struts and remove some of the camber.

If you want to try tired springs, I have a set you can have for free with 300,000km on them. Personally I wouldn't worry about the camber though.

I wouldn't say camber causes wandering on dirt, incorrect toe and maybe high tyre pressure is more likely to cause that. Also I found my wagon drove a lot better on and off road when I swapped the positive offset 13" wheels for negative offset 14" wheels.

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”