MY Wagon rear shocks

Cliff R
General Member

MY Wagon rear shocks

Post by Cliff R » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:44 pm

Planning to replace the rear shocks in the 82 model MY Touring wagon.
What are the latest recommendations/best recommended type and brand/good experiences etc from people.
I am happy to spend the dollars to get the right shocks.

JP147

Post by JP147 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:11 pm

Thomas (Phizinza) was trying KYB part no 343157 shocks which are OE for Chevy Chevelles, Caprices, El Caminos, etc. but I am yet to try them myself.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:19 pm

JP147
Thanks for the info, from photos of these shocks they look like they will need some modes for the top shock mount.
Will see what others replies say.
P.S. from your signature photo I see you have an external windscreen sun shade (eyebrow) I am considering one of these. Any comments for or against these shades in your experience. ?

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:39 pm

I used a pair of these in my ute, easiest bolt in swap imaginable. Truthfully I didn't notice any improvement in ride over the old ones that were in there but I think the light ute back end might have something to do with that.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUBARU-BRUMB ... XQBg5RsYem
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:41 pm

I've used the ultima shocks from eBay on two different brumbys with good results ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

JP147

Post by JP147 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:44 pm

Cliff R wrote:JP147
Thanks for the info, from photos of these shocks they look like they will need some modes for the top shock mount.
Will see what others replies say.
P.S. from your signature photo I see you have an external windscreen sun shade (eyebrow) I am considering one of these. Any comments for or against these shades in your experience. ?
The top mount would have to be rotated and the holes enlarged a little. On the plus side, they have more travel and can be used on lifted cars without the spacer.

The sunshade is good, it adds some shade sometimes. I found it buried in the ground and it happened to fit the car. I didn't want to drill holes so I made clamps out of the large A pillar chrome trim from a 910 Bluebird and it has held on well so far.
The only downside is that it might reduce fuel economy when driving at high speed, and you can hear the air hitting the ends of it when driving over 100 with the windows down.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:38 pm

JP147
Sorry, I know I am going off my own topic here but is the sunshade a wire mesh or a solid type.
I am looking at the following but I am struggling with the price.
It isn't a necessity just a want unless I can justify its existence by being useful.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271640224224 ... EBIDX%3AIT

Bennie
I will look into the Ultima shocks too.

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:26 pm

You can also use front shocks from the old 70's/80's FJ Landcruisers on the rear of 'MY' wagons and Brumby's.
I used them on my lifted '84 wagon for years. They are a lot beefier and longer and so have lots more travel.
Not sure if they would suit an unlifted car though as when I 1st fitted them, they would occasionally bottom out on full suspension travel.
All I had to do was remove the 2" lift kit upper shocky mounting bracket and I never had an issue again.
There was just a little bit of mucking around to get the small, upper mounting bar, out of the old shocks and into/through the FJ shocks new bushes.
JB

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:39 am

Thanks JB my car has a 2" lift so all I need to do is locate the right Cruiser shock part number and see how I go.

JP147

Post by JP147 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:26 pm

Cliff R wrote:JP147
Sorry, I know I am going off my own topic here but is the sunshade a wire mesh or a solid type.
I am looking at the following but I am struggling with the price.
It isn't a necessity just a want unless I can justify its existence by being useful.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271640224224 ... EBIDX%3AIT
Mine's mesh the same as that one except it doesn't have the bit down the middle. I am not sure how useful it is because I didn't have the car long before putting it on. But I thought it looked too empty before and it does put shade on my arms and legs and blocks the sun when it is in that specific position.

Cliff R
General Member

Eyebrow

Post by Cliff R » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:29 pm

JP147 wrote:Mine's mesh the same as that one except it doesn't have the bit down the middle. I am not sure how useful it is because I didn't have the car long before putting it on. But I thought it looked too empty before and it does put shade on my arms and legs and blocks the sun when it is in that specific position.
I don't know what it is about this piece of car accessory that attracts me but I keep gravitating back to it.
It really is a want and not a need.......stuff it.....I'm buying one.

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”