MY Brumby Nolathane stuff

steptoe
Master Member

MY Brumby Nolathane stuff

Post by steptoe » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:59 am

http://www.nolathane.com.au/do_segue.ph ... 2-6%2F1994

these guys list two part numbers for lower control arm inner bush kits

24mm OD and 28mm OD

haven't measured anything up on my bits but asking why such a common old thing could have two possibilities listed

which one anyone reckon it should be ?

If it is NOT 45490 , Giles1111 gonna be a bothered Brumby lad :(

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:01 pm

There are 2 different sizes of LCA inner bush on the MY's, seen it with me own two eyes ;) The original ones off my 81' wagon were the smaller size, the ones on my Brum are the larger size. Don't know what the pattern is for changing sizes, I thought maybe early models had the smaller size, but the only way to find out for sure is to actually measure your LCA's...bit hard to do if you're still driving the car around :(

Either way, you'll find they are a right royal PITA to fit. Removing the old shell is mandatory but the new bushes still seem too large. Plus on the kits I bought the supplied crush tubes were the wrong length too :( Had to face them off in the lathe, about 1mm to come off.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:20 am

I thought it was a case of covering themselves in case someone confused EA82 L Series stuff, but L's are different again - 33mm OD from memory, though a quick look at an L or Vortex lower control arm kicking about in the garden :( looks about 28 mm ???

The year list I looked at was edit 82-86/1994 Brumby . Pre 82 is still same looking body, then there is the pre 82 stuff - the FUGLIES. No fugly listing online for this company

Maybe Sams' 81 'Bullet is model year 82

Think Giles is gonna be upset once he dries out .....

And you had to remove material to make it fit ? Sounds like my BJ257 four years ago. Same brand from same ebay supplier this time were correct measure, fitted without modification or press fit like they falsely claimed.

OK. I thought my rough measures were that original old shell remained for the 45491 Nolathane kit, but that may cause problems if old shell already missing .... and ebay supplier was 80 bucks, got quoted $100 trade ! Declined offer to order them in ....

coxy

Post by coxy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:24 pm

Looked into it and the difference is the smaller one is to be used if you leave the original outer steel sleeve from the OE factory rubber bush in the control arm, The Larger size is if you fully removed the factory bush including the outer sleeve.

That I think is where the confusion arises.

BrisBrumby

Re: MY Brumby Nolathane stuff

Post by BrisBrumby » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:01 am

Thanks for clearing that up. It would be too easy for suby just to have had the one suitable part and replacement ..
Cheers

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”