What is this steering shaft?

JP147

What is this steering shaft?

Post by JP147 » Sat May 09, 2015 10:27 am

Custom steering shaft.
I know it isn't an extended steering shaft for MY/Brumby with 2" lift and manual steer.
Maybe it is for power steer? I am not sure.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat May 09, 2015 11:19 am

thats a modified steering knuckle for a manual rack MY or brumby

this image will help show where / how it fits on a manual MY or brumby rack.

stolen from

http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/steeri ... /brat.html

The rubber vibration mount normally goes on the rack, then a shaft, then the knuckle this modified knuckle removes all those pieces.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

JP147

Post by JP147 » Sat May 09, 2015 12:53 pm

TOONGA wrote:thats a modified steering knuckle for a manual rack MY or brumby

this image will help show where / how it fits on a manual MY or brumby rack.

stolen from

http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/steeri ... /brat.html

The rubber vibration mount normally goes on the rack, then a shaft, then the knuckle this modified knuckle removes all those pieces.

TOONGA
I thought that's what it was, but then I tried to fit it and it doesn't go unless the front driveshaft is removed. The one I got to fit only has one uni on it.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 09, 2015 2:27 pm

Looks like an L series lift extension with the MY manual rack rubber piece on the end to me.

You need the one joint extension piece unless you decide to change to a PS setup.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

JP147

Post by JP147 » Sat May 09, 2015 5:38 pm

I wonder what it's for then. I will keep it, may it will be useful one day.

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Sun May 10, 2015 1:11 am

That is the Manual rack extension, that was supplied with a BYB 2inch MY lift kit, I had bought several years ago.
Not sure why you didn't get it to fit your set up JP, as I test fitted it to my Brumby before I sent it to you.
My Brumby has 2inch lift and power steer (but I swapped over from p/s to manual to make sure it fitted)
Only thing I used but not pictured is the standard round rubber disc.
Is your steering column standard, or maybe does it have different rubber rack mounts or something?? Just postulating as to the difference between mine and yours and why it doesn't fit.
John

Edit....Just reread your post, is it only the drive shaft that fouls on the steering link?
Mine is EJ with L 5 speed and has engine mounts modded so the motor sits back more (to accommodate twin a/c thermos on the engine side) so the drive shaft angles of mine must be different.
Still, it should have fitted yours as it was made for standard MY set up!!.....Very strange!!

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun May 10, 2015 10:38 am

If I remember rightly JP has a funny looking very large cup DOJ in his car which rubs on various things.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

JP147

Post by JP147 » Sun May 10, 2015 3:04 pm

Proton mouse wrote:That is the Manual rack extension, that was supplied with a BYB 2inch MY lift kit, I had bought several years ago.
Not sure why you didn't get it to fit your set up JP, as I test fitted it to my Brumby before I sent it to you.
My Brumby has 2inch lift and power steer (but I swapped over from p/s to manual to make sure it fitted)
Only thing I used but not pictured is the standard round rubber disc.
Is your steering column standard, or maybe does it have different rubber rack mounts or something?? Just postulating as to the difference between mine and yours and why it doesn't fit.
John

Edit....Just reread your post, is it only the drive shaft that fouls on the steering link?
Mine is EJ with L 5 speed and has engine mounts modded so the motor sits back more (to accommodate twin a/c thermos on the engine side) so the drive shaft angles of mine must be different.
Still, it should have fitted yours as it was made for standard MY set up!!.....Very strange!!
Is the whole kit from BYB or just the steering extender?

Here is it not fitting.

If I have a funny driveshaft, that would explain it. Now I can keep it as a spare or sell it. Sometime I will change the shaft back to a more standard one, this one is not very tight on the stub.

This is what I have on there currently, from the place that can't be named:

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Sun May 10, 2015 5:59 pm

JP147 wrote:Is the whole kit from BYB or just the steering extender?
The BYB kit I bought is in my Brumby I have been building forever, I never used the extender as I have p/s.
The lift kit I sold to you, was from my now deceased MY wagon which also had p/s. Not sure of the maker but it was not a BYB kit.
I knew you didn't have p/s, that's why I mocked up my Brumby with a standard rack to make sure it fitted.
I assume it is due to your odd d/s that it doesn't fit. If that is loose on the stub as you say, I would be changing it pronto!!

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”