an interesting bit of info

Dean.nabbe

an interesting bit of info

Post by Dean.nabbe » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:33 pm

i was doing some research for the purposes of finding a way to reinforcing the front of my Brumby so i can install a winch and stumbled across this...

i will also add, i COULD NOT find, no matter how i worded it, anything on damaging the front of your vehicle from winching, unless you winch at a strange angle...

i'm now not gonna worry about reinforcing any more.. after reading this and having a few expert opinions, i'm happy that it will all work out fine..

http://www.l2sfbc.com/rmp/blog/Monocoqu ... on-chassis

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:45 pm

As long as the winch is directly and firmly attached to the chassis rails at the front I can see no problem! With the Brumby being so light anyway it's not like you're winching 3 tons out of the mud like the bigger 4x4's. Having said that though I've never really seen a Brumby or any MY with a winch on it, it would probably have to hide inside a hefty bullbar since there's not much room in front of the radiator without a bar.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:48 pm

Silverbullet wrote:As long as the winch is directly and firmly attached to the chassis rails at the front I can see no problem! With the Brumby being so light anyway it's not like you're winching 3 tons out of the mud like the bigger 4x4's. Having said that though I've never really seen a Brumby or any MY with a winch on it, it would probably have to hide inside a hefty bullbar since there's not much room in front of the radiator without a bar.
Winches were a dealer option in the US from the 1970's (maybe earlier) but the were literally stuck on the front of the vehicle on a bar - most likely not legit in Australia...

As for the Monocoque 4wd design, they're clearly talking about larger 4wds. Subarus have been building light 4wds like this for many decades now!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:30 am

A winch and alloy bull bar were an option for the 1982 MY as an accessory.
It was on the Subaru Australia Accessories pamphlets and the Subaru part number was SA 160.
It certainly doesn't look particularly strong as the associated bull bar is one of these that bolts on under the front bumper and leave the bumper in place.
Anyone actually seen one ?
Its description is listed as "Winch-Electric 12 volt (Cap 453 Kgs)"

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:26 am

That would be a winch to haul in firewood for lazyass campers, not pull your 1500kg overladen camper bogged or stuck in a rut. 453kg :)
member since 10january2014 #6191

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:30 pm

True the winch isn't real big.
I would be interested to know for certain how the winch attaches to the car.
As I don't imagine it is dependant on being bolted to the bull bar I guess it would mean you could use the principles of the winch mount, beef it up a bit and bolt a bigger winch on regardless of what bull bar you want on the car.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:50 am

Cliff R wrote:A winch and alloy bull bar were an option for the 1982 MY as an accessory.
It was on the Subaru Australia Accessories pamphlets and the Subaru part number was SA 160.
It certainly doesn't look particularly strong as the associated bull bar is one of these that bolts on under the front bumper and leave the bumper in place.
Anyone actually seen one ?
Its description is listed as "Winch-Electric 12 volt (Cap 453 Kgs)"
I saw one on a farmers car many moons ago and really would only use if I needed to get up a steep slippery hill, not to pull myself out of the bog or anything like that.

As for making up a winch, then I'd combine the bumper bar mounts and the tow points, pretty much like the aftermarket roobars used to do.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

tambox

Post by tambox » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:37 pm

I have a Warn portable winch I have used on my Subies.
Connects to a (hayman-reece) style towbar square fitting.
I put one on the bullbar and had one on the rear.
Carry the winch inside, instead of putting weight at the front.
Takes 30 sec to set up, used welder leads and alligator clips for battery power.
The bullbar was slightly "realigned" when used, dending on the direction of pull. This was due to the bulbar mounting points being adjustable to suit vehicle.
Actually used it on the rear more times than the front, to get out of where I shouldn't have gone.
Broke the gears in the winch, but no Subies.

Link to the latest ones
https://www.warn.com/truck/winches/ZEON ... ount.shtml
L serious, still.

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”