Difference between Lib and WRX springs?

Gannon

Difference between Lib and WRX springs?

Post by Gannon » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:14 am

I have some blue KYB struts and what I believe is standard Liberty springs and they are too soft for khanacross (~134lb/in).

WRX king replacements KSFS22 are going to be too hard at 245lb so I think Lib replacements KFFS25 at 200lb are my best bet.

Now I have read that there is a difference between Lib and WRX upper spring perches. But what is the difference between them?

Also, apparently putting WRX struts on a Lib apparently lowers it, is the difference in the spring or the strut?

Cheers
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:20 am

Gannon wrote:Now I have read that there is a difference between Lib and WRX upper spring perches. But what is the difference between them?
From memory the difference in the springs is the diameter of the top coil. The Impreza have a taper design between the bottom to the top, so the top hat is smaller.
Gannon wrote:Also, apparently putting WRX struts on a Lib apparently lowers it, is the difference in the spring or the strut?
Haven't seen any difference in the WRX to Liberty but this depends on what models we are talking about, as both have lots of different body designs.

The (BG) Outback are longer than the standard (and turbo) model Liberty and the (SF) NA Foz are longer then the turboed model Foz. The WRX struts have a larger insert in them, which makes it stiffer but only the springs really adjust the ride height.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:24 pm

Thanks Paul. Maybe you can tell me what struts I have. They are kyb, light blue and have subaru stamped on them. I was told they were from an import 97 wrx but they have liberty size top hats and the springs dont taper.
Ive ordered a set of king kffs25 to suit early liberty cos the 200lb rate is more suited than the 255lb of the wrx
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”