Trailing Arm Blocks

NachaLuva
General Member

Trailing Arm Blocks

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:55 am

Trailing arm blocks are used for those raising their suspension by 2" or more. It goes between the TA mount & the chassis rail to maintain the correct rear wheel position & the arc it follows as the suspension articulates.

Most TA blocks on the market are individual blocks, one with 2 holes (rear) & one with one hole (front). The trouble with this is under heavy loads like hitting a pothole, speed hump, rut or dropping a spinning wheel, these individual blocks rock back & forth, causing metal fatigue in the rails. There have been examples of bad cracks & one where the captive nuts were ripped out through the rail! Thats a catastrophic failure!!! Image

By welding the blocks together, this "rocking" is eliminated, also any shearing force is spread more evenly across the 3 bolts.

I also put end plates on the blocks (others are open ended) to further strengthen them & to keep mud out & help prevent rust Image

They also have crush tubes...I cant believe some kits dont have crush tubes! Image

A set (left & right) of TA blocks after welding, ready for cleaning up & painting Image

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:16 pm

Umm.. is this groundhog day?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:31 pm

Mate they are a work of art but theres hundreds of cars around lifted with 2 separate blocks! The pot bole you are referring to that ripped the bolts out was HUGE..

I think your tied together front control arm mounts are higher priority then these.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:33 pm

And who sells kits without crush tubes? They are usually diy jobs..
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:52 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Umm.. is this groundhog day?
Haha I thought I would do this thread to help explain why use TA blocks even on a strut lift & show what they look like completed ;)
vincentvega wrote:And who sells kits without crush tubes? They are usually diy jobs..
Usually. Sumo dont:
SUMO 2" Trailing Arm Spacers

I think if you had a look around there'd be a few cars with unbraced TA blocks that have cracks around them. Its not that much extra work, you just need to spot weld them on the car or use a jig

+1 for the LCA blocks, they would have a fair lateral load under heavy cornering esp if you hit a pothole or rut. They are harder to do cos of the chassis rail & bush housing clearance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”