Frugs lifted Suby Forester XT 2005

frug

Frugs lifted Suby Forester XT 2005

Post by frug » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:00 pm

Hi guys.

Just thought i'd share some pics and info of my car since i've done all the alterations to the suspension. I was a newby, and still am, so I'll go through what i've done. I'm not mechanicly minded, so i do a lot of investigating to see the real benefits from alterations I've made.

If you are looking to get a bit more height out of your Forry, and not sure where to start, this is the progression I did.

This is what my Forester 2005 XT looked like when I bought her. Standard 2005 Forester XT with 50,000km on her.

Firstly, to gain a bit of height without alternating the cars suspension, I put new off road tyres on it. The car came standard with 17" alloys, but I wanted to run 16" Steelies, so I didn't care if I dented the rims, and so I had a set of road wheels for everyday use. Also, running 16" rims meant that I could get a bit more hight to the tyre. This instantly gave me an inch lift and made the car look mean. I put on BF Goodrich AT 215/70 16. I found that if you go the 215/75 16, the tyre will rub on the spring base, and will also rub lots in the wheel arch. My tyres only rub at 3/4 lock. This is by far the cheapest and easiest way to lift any car.

Gap between tyre and spring base. There is about a 15mm gap.

A few months later I fitted some King Springs and KYB shocks. This was an expensive exercise, however, the ride improvement and handling was well worth the money. You don't realise how bad your car drives until you fit new springs and struts. WOW. It rides much flatter, and controlled than before. This gave me another 1".

Finally, after being undecided for a long time, I bit the bullet and purchased some Subtle Solutions 1" body lift blocks. These were fairly inexpensive and I installed them with a mate (see above thread). I say undecided because I wasn't really sure if I really needed them. But after landing on my side skirts a few times, I knew I wanted them. This lifted the body another inch. It also improved my approach and departure angles too, but that was pretty good already thanks to the Subaxtreme bars.

Putting the lift blocks on the rear moved the rear wheel forward in the arch. You can see from the below pics the angle of the strut and how close the wheel is to the front side of the wheel arch. No probs though. You can get an arm that re-centres the wheel, but am a little hesitant with doing that and the moment.

The original ride height was 200mm, now it is almost 300mm. Just over 3" lift.

Any higher and you really start to play with CV Boot probs and other things like Brake Hose length, camber and other techy stuff I don't know about. Also, ride quality. I can still drive my can on road comfortably.

So, as you can see from the below pics, the car is pretty well setup.

Cheers!!

Subaru Forester XT 2005
King Springs
KYB Struts
BF Goodrich AT 215/70/16
Subaxtreme front & rear bars
GME UHF
Custom Exhaust
Subtle Solutions 1" lift blocks

ozdog

Post by ozdog » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:54 am

gday Frug, cool set up. I am thinking about doing something similar, to make it a bit more "bush proof". I just picked up my dads 2003 LUX XS cheep. so there is a little kitty to play with. new to this forum but active on LCOOL.ORG and Southernfreedivers.Org.
understand you have the turbo (mine is non-turbo) how does it go in the bush with your lift?
love exploring, fishing, hunting=nature. I have my Toyota Troopy for that up here in the Kimberly W.A but my Melbourne car is the subby. First problem I can see is bottoming out. your rig looks good/ tough practical for off road. interested to hear how it goes off road. cheers oZ.
ps. cant read all of your post ????

Liberty Valance

Post by Liberty Valance » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:51 am

That's the ideal setup in my books mate.
I'm assuming you have an Auto transmission.
How's the fuel consumption now that you are pushing the BFG's around town?

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:18 pm

Looks mean as frug, good stuff.
What did the 1" block kit cost without being rude? And does that require a steering arm extension?

Cheers,
Tom.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'89 Brumby "Brumbylicious"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester
'14 Forester Luxury (My goodness is it schmick!)

Liberty Valance

Post by Liberty Valance » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:47 pm

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:Looks mean as frug, good stuff.
What did the 1" block kit cost without being rude? And does that require a steering arm extension?

Cheers,
Tom.
I can probably answer this one for him.

If the price is the same as for MY09 then I'd say $225 + $75 US delivered.
However you'd be better off looking for some 40mm Subaxtreme blocks which have the correct camber offset.

Strut lifts don't require a steering arm extension. That is only necessary if you do a body lift.

frug

Post by frug » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:31 am

Hey everyone.

The blocks i bought are the Subtle Solutions blocks from the US.

My XT is an auto. Lazy man's car, but I still love her.

With the BFGs on the fuel consumption is still ok. I usually get about 12L/100km. Mind you, I put the tyres on when I'm going off road, so my fuel consumption shoots through the roof off road.

Laters!

Subaru Forester XT 2005
King Springs
KYB Struts
BF Goodrich AT 215/70/16
GME UHF
Custom Exhaust

Liberty Valance

Post by Liberty Valance » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:46 pm

frug wrote: With the BFGs on the fuel consumption is still ok. I usually get about 12L/100km. Mind you, I put the tyres on when I'm going off road, so my fuel consumption shoots through the roof off road.
That sounds about right. My stock XT returns 11L/100km around town.

Have you ever thought about getting your ECU retuned for more torque and power? I've always thought that might offset the increased fuel consumption from bigger tyres but I'm waiting for someone to invest $1100 and tell me if it works first.

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:24 pm

I really love the look of your lifted Foz, it's awesome! :)
ImageImageImage
2012 Subaru Forester - 2.0D Premium ~ 2002 Subaru Forester - Limited (Lifted)

Liberty Valance

Post by Liberty Valance » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:21 am

I understand that 215/70/16 BFG's won't fit in the spare wheel well so I'm interested to know how you are carrying a spare tire?
Modified spare well?
Future rear bar with carrier?
On the roof?

I'm looking for ideas...

frug

Post by frug » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:19 pm

Liberty Valance wrote:I understand that 215/70/16 BFG's won't fit in the spare wheel well so I'm interested to know how you are carrying a spare tire?
Modified spare well?
Future rear bar with carrier?
On the roof?

I'm looking for ideas...
Hey there.

I got a rear bar fitted at the same time as the front.

Here are the pics:

I have mates who just store their spare in their boot, but it's a pain. Alternatively, storing it on the roof is another way to go.

The rear bar can also be probuced with 2 tyre holders or a Jerry Can holder (which I should have gotten, cause it'd be really useful).

Cheers

Subaru Forester XT 2005
King Springs
KYB Struts
BF Goodrich AT 215/70/16
GME UHF
Custom Exhaust

ozdog

Post by ozdog » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:11 pm

Great looking rear bar!